This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: "Golden Years"???  (Read 3068 times)

Linda R

"Golden Years"???
« on: November 08, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »
One of the many reasons I began LCHF and have endeavored to stay in ketosis as often as possible is due to my health as I age.

We are now seeing more and more articles indicating that our WOE is truly a healthy thing for all of us as we age; less dementia, brain fog, stronger bones and muscles, less chronic disease, etc. The list seems to grow longer everyday.

My hope is that I will be able to live independently, in my own home, and eat the foods I choose and prepare them as I see fit for as long as possible. When my time comes, I hope to be sitting down to a delicious, grass fed chuck roast and a salad prepared with my own dressing and lots of good, organic veggies.

I see these retirement ads on TV lately proclaiming that their particular senior residence is the best. The ads are becoming more prolific. The baby boomers are getting old!!

There is no way I could live in that kind of environment.

First of all, I couldn't afford it.

Secondly, I hate playing cards and I detest bingo.

But mainly, I have a pretty good idea of the kinds of meals served in an environment such as that, and I would be such a pain in the #$% that they would probably evict me!

So, as I look at the register receipts after shopping and realize that I could save a lot of money by not buying grass fed, or organic, or cage free, or humanely raised, I think about my so-called "golden years" and just smile.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: "Golden Years"???
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 12:28:39 PM »
Great post, Linda.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »
Exactly right Linda!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
Kudos Linda....I'm with you and want to be paddling my own canoe right up till the end!

p.s. When do the golden years begin....are we there yet? ;)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »
you folks make me laugh, and smile! thank you!  :)

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:47:36 PM »
My golden years will begin at 95 just sayin 😁

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
We aim to please  8) !

Peter in Thailand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »
My hope is that I will be able to live independently, in my own home, and eat the foods I choose and prepare them as I see fit for as long as possible.

... Well done.

... Thank you, Linda, for taking time to write that post.

-- Peter

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
Thanks for the lighthearted point of view. However this is a topic that lurks in the back of my mind. This past summer my 89 year old Mother passed. She was in an Assisted Care wing of a hospital & the food they served was horrible, all starch, white mush, gravy/sauce & low fat! Hot Dogs & grilled cheese sandwiches w/ canned soup were a regular lunch. Sugar Free puddings for desert.

I can only hope that as time passes our way of eating will have made a difference & people who need hospitals will be given  truly beneficial meals.

Put me in a canoe & let me drift out into the sunset, a better way to go.

Linda R

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
Thanks for the lighthearted point of view. However this is a topic that lurks in the back of my mind. This past summer my 89 year old Mother passed. She was in an Assisted Care wing of a hospital & the food they served was horrible, all starch, white mush, gravy/sauce & low fat! Hot Dogs & grilled cheese sandwiches w/ canned soup were a regular lunch. Sugar Free puddings for desert.

I can only hope that as time passes our way of eating will have made a difference & people who need hospitals will be given  truly beneficial meals.

Put me in a canoe & let me drift out into the sunset, a better way to go.

Exactly my point!
Can you imagine the flack I would get if I insisted on grass fed beef and cage free chicken, organic veggies and berries, almond milk, etc?

My neighbor is slightly older than me with a multitude of health issues. She no longer has the strength to stand in her kitchen and cook. She receives daily meals from some kind of a volunteer program and from time to time, when she wasn't at home, they have left the meal with me till she returns. I've taken a look at those lunches, and they are disgusting. She is pre-diabetic, along with all her other ailments, but yet they give her pasta, bread, gross gravy thickened with something, fruit, etc. I have tons of respect for the volunteers who deliver these meals, but why can't TPTB wake up and realize they are only making her sicker with this crap?

I visualize being fed this same kind of thing, just as you posted.

BTW
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. As Mosey wrote, this topic lurks in the back of my mind as well. My mother died at 97, and lived, fortunately, with my brother and SIL for her last couple of years, never did live in any kind of assisted living or nursing establishment. She told us, from the day we were born, that she would die before allowing that to happen, and I believe she would have done so.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
Amen!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
Very well said!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 07:38:08 AM »
I like Suz' idea, 95 sounds about right to start my 'golden years'!

HungryinTN

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
Being childless with no plans for children in the foreseeable future, no husband and no particular plans for one (and my current boyfriend is fifteen years older and doesn't take care of himself and I don't know his children and don't plan to) I worry a lot about late life.  Being the youngest in my family, with no nieces or nephews, chances are that I won't have any built-in family support, no one to stay with in lieu of a home if I get too ill to take care of myself.  So, I guess the plan just has to be to be able to take care of myself!  Or learn to train cats to be nurses...

VibeRadiant

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
Hungry,
I have trained one cat to fetch a small toy. I might have to start training her to fetch shoes and diapers perhaps. ;D

Linda R

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »
Hungry,
I have trained one cat to fetch a small toy. I might have to start training her to fetch shoes and diapers perhaps. ;D

Wow, with so many baby boomers hitting retirement and so forth, you may have hit upon something! This could become a whole new industry.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
If I could just get her to drop the item at my feet instead of two feet away...

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »

Sponsored Links