This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Intermittent fasting challenge  (Read 4613 times)

VibeRadiant

Intermittent fasting challenge
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
After watching the interview between Mercola and Professor Seyfried (author of  Cancer is a Metabolic Disease), I have decided that I will undergo a fast from 6 pm tonight to 6 am Tuesday morning.  I will consume water only during this time. I haven't been successful in the past to last more then a few hours but now that I understand what is happening while I fast, I think I am better prepared to get through any withdrawals I might encounter.

Anyone want to do this with me? 

HungryinTN

Re: Intermittent fasting challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »
I've been doing IF for a few months and I think it has really helped speed up my healing.  I generally try to eat dinner by about 7, then I wake up at 6:30-ish and have my Bulletproof Coffee around 7:30 or 8 but I don't have solid food until midday.  I think it has helped regulate my sleep patterns a lot (though I still take a melatonin supplement for just a little extra help because I was SUCH an insomniac for SO MANY years).  The more regulated my fasting schedule is the better I feel, and I can tell when I've eaten something weird or when something is wrong with my body when I get hungry too soon or have trouble waking up in the morning.  It really helps you feel more in control of your body and helps you heal faster in so many ways, I think. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »
I'm glad to hear of your success doing IF. It makes me feel stronger and positive going into my first fast since starting this WOE.

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
And most likely it will probably be easier than you think.  But I'd say don't feel that you have to stick to the 6PM-6AM strategy if it doesn't work well for you.  I start mine a little later because I tend to stay up a little later, plus it means I'm less thrown off on my longer days when I'm in class at the time I would normally eat (Mondays are my twelve hour days - work 9-5 then class 6-9).  If I could be in bed by 10PM every night then the 6-6 schedule would probably make more sense, but my life just isn't set up that way right now. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »
I chose 6 am to 6 pm Tuesday is because I  am off tomorrow because it is Rememberance Day. Otherwise it would be a shorter time frame.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
Dont' forget to include some salt.

Water is good, too.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
oh yes, it is a water fast. I won't forget my salt either. :D

VibeRadiant

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:47:52 AM »
coming up on 14 hours.

ok, so most have been while I was asleep lol!

VibeRadiant

Re: Intermittent fasting (IF) challenge
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:56 AM »
So, it is 36 hours later and the IF went well. I had a supercharged coffee to break the fast.
Two egg yolks and two tbsp butter with 2 tbsp whipping cream.

The trick is to mix the ingredients and then add the coffee in a thin stream so you don't get egg drop coffee lol!

Quite creamy and I couldn't taste the eggs.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »
How are you feeling, Vibe?  You're braver than me.  Congrats.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
I feel great. I think I might have discovered that I can't eat dairy as much as I have been.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »
Fantastic, Vibe, that's important info.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:07:11 AM »
That means that I'll have to start eating red meat again. But it's for my health right?

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 09:08:25 AM »
I only do about 12-18 hours at a time, 2-3 times per week.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »
I think I  will do this once a week to start.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
The bulletproof coffee in the morning helps, but I do get a bit cranky in the late afternoon, like now. 

Just ask my Assistant Dean.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
Lila,

I think our bodies change enough during the transition to grain/sugar free that sometimes fasting is not good for us during these changes.  If you are feeling cranky, then you need to eat something wholesome.  Your body is saying telling you that you are hungry! 

If I don't heed those signals, then I tend to overeat at the next meal and sometimes even look for snacks which is not my normal habit.  Too often the snacks will not be WB compliant, such as gluten free crackers or a few fruits or if I am traveling, a stop at a food vendor and hope the burger or other dish has ingredients that are WB compliant. 

When you have eaten a very satisfying and filling meal, then it is OK to fast for the 12 hours or so hours.  Otherwise I think your body is telling you it needs food, so eat!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
Yeah, today my two eggs didn't hold me over--usually I have some uncured bacon with my eggs. 

I'm getting ready to head home and will have a piece of my lovely Kerrygold cheese and some water which should keep me satisfied until I have my squash "noodle" lasagna around 7pm. 

Then maybe a few almonds, which I read today is good for promoting good sleep.  As is magnesium.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
Ahhhh....some nice Kerrygold cheddar and a glass of ice water.  Feel human again.

But it is really really cold in Atlanta tonight!!

HungryinTN

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »
Yeah I always keep a stash of almonds or walnuts in my desk just in case, but I try to put off eating until I really get hungry.  Part of it is just me trying to break the old work/snack habit.  I used to munch all the time while I was working.  I felt like I absolutely had to or I would keel over.  So now if I can push through the first pangs I can usually wait an hour or two from the time I first start feeling peckish.  Then I'll eat a handful of walnuts.  If that doesn't satisfy me, then I'll eat lunch.  Today for instance (after starting my fast late last night because of a 6-9PM class), I had my BP coffee about 7AM I started getting hungry around 10 AM (probably because I didn't sleep enough last night).  Around 11 I started munching on walnuts.  I had about 1/4 cup in my office and ate about half of them throughout the day and never took lunch.  Now my salmon and asparagus is in the oven for my first official meal and I am hungry but otherwise fine.  Six months ago I never would have believed it was possible. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »
Snacking while working (nervous habit) is something I've always done until being wf.  Now I just drink coffee or water. Funny thing is that I get a lot more done.

Used to drink a lot (well, not a lot but more than I should more often than I should) when working on high stress stuff.  Not anymore. 

Love it.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »

Sponsored Links