This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: My Fitness Pal (is not LCHF friendly)  (Read 8097 times)

VibeRadiant

My Fitness Pal (is not LCHF friendly)
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
I joined myfitnesspal today to track my fat and carbs.

According to this tool, it has me on a 1200 calorie eating plan, 40 g of fat, 164 g of carbs and 58 g of protein.

My actual consumption today was 1726 calories, 164 g of fat, 22 g carbs and 58 g protein.

There is also an ad next to my page that says "The 5 foods you should never eat" and there is a picture of an avocado.  :'(

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: My Fitness Pal (is not LCHF friendly)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »
I did say it was  more dificult to set up.  I haven't figured out how to set the protein levels the way I want them, so I just let it add what I put in.  I don't want it's recommendations anyway;  I want to do it myself.  I liked the daily totals for what I put in at the bottem.  I'm sure there's better places, this is just one I know of  to try.  Anyone got a better one, I'll try it for sure.  I want to do  more and more of this.  It's a subject I would like to find a very simple site to use daily for.

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:06:34 PM »
I've always used mydailyplate.com when I've been logging.  I think there's a way to get it to log your food sans judgment.   ;)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:26 AM »
I thought it was hilarious that by lunch I had exceeded the fat recommendation! It was in the red and it was negative.  :o  well according to the app that is.

I was very pleased to see that my fat intake was so high and my carbs really were as low as I thought,

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:18:48 AM »
I guess you best follow the adage, " Take what you need and leave the rest" when using that site. Watch out for those evil avocados!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 04:23:23 AM »
I agree. All these people gorging on avocados are responsible for the obesity epidemic afterall.  ;D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:08 AM »
Yep, FitnessPal has stupid ideas for diet.  Naturally, it told me I was eating too much fat!!   :D   It was handy for the nutrient readouts though.  After I played with it for awhile, I got it to recommend an 800 cal diet plan. LOL

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »
Don't try to use FMP with a "guided"weight loss goal in mind, as it is totally useless for that.  These things are ONLY useful as tracking tools.  I know, it's annoying when the red letters are telling you that you've gone over on a whole bunch of things and that you're "deficient" in others. 

You can tweak it any way you want.  Click on "Goals" > "Change Goals" > "Custom" > then set the calories and percentages of macro-nutrients and mineral levels any way you want them. 

It only lets you bump macro-nutrients in 5% increments so I used 65% fat (~200g) / 20% protein (~145g) / 15% carb (~100g) based on my ~3000cal diet, no weight loss goals, relatively active lifestyle, and the fact that I am not doing a very low carb thing.  After a couple of weeks of monitoring I felt that I had a pretty good grasp on what I was eating and how it would look on paper (LCD monitor) and I haven't logged in for several months.

You have to ignore the exercise side of the equation in MFP...but that's a given considering the fact that the whole CICO theory is utter nonsense anyway.

My thoughts are that you should only use MFP or anything like it for a couple of weeks or a month while you're making significant changes just so you have SOME idea what you're really doing - it's never exactly what you think!  Then stop and live.  Check in every couple of months if you've continued changing your habits and even then it's only to "touch base".

VibeRadiant

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
I agree bcflyfisher, I only use the app to see that I have taken in enough fat, and stayed low in my carbs.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:41 PM »
I like FatSecret.com (online and iPhone app).

Low Carb Since April 2009.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »
I have started tracking (again) my food intake using Myfitnesspal, for the last week.

It wants me to consume 150g a day of carbs!!!! Yikes.

Over the last week, I have eaten over 50g carbs three times and stayed well below 50 g the other four days.

It wants me to consume about 47 g of fat a day, I have exceeded that, almost double, everyday.

And it wants me to eat about 54 g of protein a day, I have exceeded that everyday with one day eating as much as 194 g of protein.

It has me on a 1200  calorie plan (a good number for a 3 year old), and everyday I have been in the red. I have exceeded that every day with 3 days going over 2000 calories.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
Does My Fitness Pal go into micronutrient breakdown?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »
These are what it tracks.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
Thanks.  I was curious.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »

Sponsored Links