This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: How much chocolate do you eat?  (Read 13691 times)

Bing

• View Profile
How much chocolate do you eat?
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
I'm at a couple of 86% squares a day.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: How much chocolate do you eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »
Probably too much.

3 tablespoons of chips at 65%  ???

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
Likely too much here as well.

We keep a jar of 60% chips on the kitchen counter. A handful after dinner is our usual dessert. Hmm. Could be a clue about lackluster results in the weight loss department....

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
Is that really too much you think? Doesn't sound like that much to me.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
We each eat 2 squares of dark chocolate Doves after dinner every night. Mine have almonds, DH's without.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
Is that really too much you think? Doesn't sound like that much to me.

You're right--all of these examples, including mine, sound like modest amounts. But I'm examining all angles to see why I'm not dropping weight.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
You're right--all of these examples, including mine, sound like modest amounts. But I'm examining all angles to see why I'm not dropping weight.

I always have trouble dropping weight too.  This diet has probably been the most successful for me, as nothing else every works.  But my body is still stubborn.   I bought Kelp pills as Dr. Davis recommended.  I know you also have to make sure you have enough magnesium and vitamin D.  But with all the nuts I'm taking, I would think my magnesium is pretty good.

But I really am starting to wonder if the nuts are an issue for me.

I also need to improve on drinking enough water.

Did you read this post by Dr. Davis?

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/i-lost-the-wheat-but-didnt-lose-weight-2/

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
I keep a bowl of Dove Darks handy, but usually only grab one a couple-three times a week. My sweet tooth seems to have disappeared for the most part. But chocolate is still a must have now and then. It doesn't sound like anyone who has posted so far is really over-doing the chocolates.

Now, if i kept my baking supply of dark chips out where I could see them, I might be overindulging in no time! I don't know why, but I can't just eat a few of those. In the past I could eat half a bag of the Nestle's Tollhouse semi-sweet without even blinking. :-[ I've switched to the Ghirardelli bittersweet chips but I'm not sure they're much better percentage-wise. There are a few less grams of sugar per serving and I keep them safely in the pantry.  :D

Tsumpter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 06:28:42 PM »
I eat 2 or 3 WBCB chocolate chip cookies per day. Love em. If out, I eat a square or 2 of >70% cacao.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
I don't eat hardly any chocolate.  When I do it is in a baked good.  I thought that chocolates had too much sugar. So I use the LIndt 90% Dr. Davis recommends.   I started taking kelp and magnesium in JANUARY.  DR Davis says it takes 3 to 6 months to see results. I am hoping it jump starts my weight loss again

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »

I also need to improve on drinking enough water.

Did you read this post by Dr. Davis?

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/i-lost-the-wheat-but-didnt-lose-weight-2/

Yup! Read it and reread it and read it again, and then printed it out for easy reference.  :)  Also working on drinking more water. Started taking the kelp capsules about a month ago, although I don't have any hypothyroid symptoms other than this weight that will not budge. I'm going to start experimenting with front-loading my calories--eat a bigger breakfast and a small (or no) dinner. That worked for me before.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
Joan- I just read on another thread that you are doing 2 - 3 days of strength training.

Just so you know, muscle weighs more than fat.  So maybe you're doing just fine and replacing all that fat with muscle... which is positive, but it will impact what you see on the scale.

I used to manage a nutri-system center many years ago, and when clients came in, we would do weekly measurements as well as weigh ins.   If they did strength training, usually their measurements were reduced even though weight stayed the same.  So I think you are on a good track.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »
I've bought a bar of 85% cacao chocolate, and it doesn't appeal to me much.  It says it has a little sugar, but apparently I can't taste it.  I have a couple of squares once a week...don't trust myself to have more than that.  And I"m only safe because it doesn't taste that good to me.

fudgecake

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »
I hate those dark chocolate bars but I do indulge in unsweetened cocoa. I sweeten it with Splenda or xylitol.

A nice kind of cereal is made from mixing together almond flour, hemp seeds, flax seeds, blueberries, coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa, a little vanilla, and splenda. Add a little hot water. Stir it all up. Finish it off in the microwave. And viola. Maybe it's just me but I think it's really good.

If you want to get into a cocoa craze, look at this site:

http://thelunacafe.com/the-wonderful-world-of-unsweetened-cocoa-powder/

According to the Wheat Belly book, "flaxseed (ground), avocados, olives, coconut, spices, cocoa (unsweetened)," could be consumed in unlimited quantities, whatever "unlimited" means.

Davis, William (2012-05-22). Wheat Belly (Kindle Locations 3122-3123). HarperCollins Canada. Kindle Edition. "

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »
I've bought a bar of 85% cacao chocolate, and it doesn't appeal to me much.  It says it has a little sugar, but apparently I can't taste it.  I have a couple of squares once a week...don't trust myself to have more than that.  And I"m only safe because it doesn't taste that good to me.

I learned to love it  8)  if I have regular chocolate now I OD on sugar.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »
I hate those dark chocolate bars but I do indulge in unsweetened cocoa. I sweeten it with Splenda or xylitol.

I just made an chia pudding with unsweetened cocoa.   However, I kind of screwed up because I thought to myself "hey... let's add some coconut oil to this".   I then melted coconut oil and mixed it with the unsweetened cocoa and chia before adding cold coconut milk to it.

When I added the cold cold coconut milk, the chia/coconut oil/chocolate mixture I had immediately turned into a hard chunk, so the milk couldn't absorb.  Had to melt everything in the microwave to mix it up again.   But I think that since the chia is now coated with the coconut oil, it can't absorb the liquid like it normally would.  It's still in the fridge and maybe it will soak up the liquid eventually.  We'll see.

fudgecake

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
It's still in the fridge and maybe it will soak up the liquid eventually.  We'll see.

hmm, actually it still sounds good. I made a nice dessert earlier of 1/4 cup almond flour, a tbsp unsweetened cocoa, about 1 tbsp coconut oil, a little vanilla flavoring, and a pack of Splenda. I put it in the microwave and it came out as a beautifully sweet and rich chocolate macaroon soupy thing. It would have been good poured over some almond flour pancakes with some whipped cream over it. But I ate it straight. I find I'm eating way more indulgent desserts than I ever did before starting this. Okay, I'm making a pig of myself.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 01:43:33 PM »
Well it did eventually thicken up.

So I think it took longer because it was initially coated with coconut oil.  ( I could be wrong though ).

I find I'm eating way more indulgent desserts than I ever did before starting this. Okay, I'm making a pig of myself.

I know the feeling!  All that fat that we used to avoid and now we can eat. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
We don't really do desserts, except for 2 Dove darks, and that's pretty much daily. But we do drink wine, and I'm sure we get more "sweet" there than we need, tho we only drink dry wines. If we're invited to an occasion, I've thought of taking pecans wrapped in dates...it's called pecan pie bites:

Cut date in half and remove pit.
Stuff with a raw pecan.
Enjoy!

"This snack is a great finger food treat for house parties, and is also a great idea for a Thanksgiving dessert option. It's worth noting that dates are high in sugar and carbs, so this should be just a light snack or dessert to enjoy in moderation. They are definitely a better option than having a slice of real pecan pie, and trust us, you won't miss the real thing after tasting these! As always, enjoy!"

I think I got this from a Paleo blog.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
Thank you for the date w/pecan idea, Deanna.  I need to bring something for a end-of-class pot luck party next week and this sounds ideal.  Easy to make and it means there will be something there I can nibble on!  I think I'll make up a plate of them arranged around a small bowl of some other type of nut.

Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
@Rita:

I think the nuts can be a problem for sure.  It's easy to underestimate how many we really eat--I am talking about me here!!  When I soak and dry the almonds, they get nice and crispy and even harder to stay away.  I can get almond butter made locally and I have had to cut back entirely on that as a couple of big spoonfuls throughout the day can interfere with weight loss.  Frankly, I don't make too many of the almond/nut flour things as I just don't need them now (1 1/2 yrs wheat free) and enjoy different ways to make veggies and local meats.  With enough fats snacking doesn't rear it ugly head.

Chocolate?  I get the Green & Blacks Organic/Fair trade 85% and have a few squares of that.  I use them making a nice "fat bomb" fudge I either eat or drop into hot coffee.  YUM.  Here is the link:  I leave out the nuts because of putting them in the coffee mostly. I don't use as much sweetener either.  I don't think it needs it.  The butter sometimes floats to the top and when it's cold (how you store it) the butter is kind of crunchy on top--nice texture actually.

http://www.grassfedgirl.com/paleolow-carb-fudge/

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
I haven't had chocolate since WB (march 2013). But saw some chocolate covered peanuts @ Sprouts Friday. Bought raw cashews instead.  Very yummy. Maybe I'll chocolate cover them for an occasional treat

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
What kind of chocolate do you eat?
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
> Probably too much.

Using what assumptions and guidelines?

The problems with most things sold as "chocolate" are:
1. the monosacharides (sugars) used to sweeten them, and
2. the milk products in the chocs that are even further watered down

A dark choc containing only cacao and a benign alternative sweetener seems to have only considerations for:
a. net carbs (from the cacao itself), and
b. don't over-do it on the omega 6 fats

I'm curious to see if I've overlooked anything.

Wheat Free Forum

What kind of chocolate do you eat?
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »

Sponsored Links