This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: gluten free fare, or...  (Read 1325 times)

VibeRadiant

gluten free fare, or...
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:35:25 AM »
I started attending a group gathering on wednesday evenings. They have gladly provided gluten free nibbles.
Last week the food consisted of packaged rice crackers, carrots, cherry tomatoes and gluten free/ dairy free banana cake.
Last night they had cucumber slices, hummus, cheese and *drum roll please* gluten free oreo cookies look alike.
They try but they are obviously clueless for the most part.

The highlight of the event was a young woman who said she was lactose intolerant while she was eating cheese!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: gluten free fare, or...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
At least they are trying, it makes you wonder about their logic (and maybe sanity) though.  I love the cheese lady! LOL

VibeRadiant

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
Yeah , the cheese lady was funny.

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
Situations like that are so awkward!  I'm somewhat accustomed to them as a southern vegetarian (we made this green bean casserole just for you - it's cooked in bacon fat but we made sure that there weren't any pieces of meat in it!), but it's still hard to navigate because on the one hand I don't really want to put hummus in my body, nor am I particularly fond of cherry tomatoes or raw baby carrots as a main course, but I feel obligated to show my appreciation of their efforts by eating some of it.  At the same time, if I eat it, then I'm feeding their illusions that they understand what my lifestyle - and good health - is about, so the conscientious objector in me is in constant conflict with the southern lady in me over how to respond.  Usually I end up taking a plate but not actually eating anything I put on it.  Then if anyone notices I'm not actually eating they'll get the spiel. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »
The green casserole reminded me of a similar time where the hostess kept pointing out the vegetatian dishes that were made for and my refusal to eat them.
I finally, out of frustration, i said " if the animal had to die to become food, I don't eat it". Everyone avoided me after that.
They would be do pissed now to see that I am eating meat again lol.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:30:50 AM »
I live in a very large retirement community, FULL of clubs.  There is one for "gluten free" folks...made up mostly of folks with celiac.  They share ideas, recipes and offer encouragement etc.  I went a handful of times but quite frankly was saddened by their lack of true knowledge.  The facilitator has celiac and we chatted about the WB book---which she did purchase and began to read.  I told her while I wasn't trying to infringe my plan on them that I felt that they needed to know about the processed-so-called-gluten-free foods weren't all that good for them.  She nodded in agreement then added that many of these folks were so newly diagnosed and depressed so it would be sad to take "more" away from them.  I silently thought oh.well.I.tried!!  I haven't been back!  Though I did tell her that I thought someone with their group should look into contacting Dr. Davis and have him come to our area to speak.  Not sure how that idea is going!!! 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:30:50 AM »

Sponsored Links