This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Legumes, Seeds, Nuts and Grains  (Read 2089 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Legumes, Seeds, Nuts and Grains
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »
I just learned something new today that I thought was important to share.

Legumes, seeds, nuts and grains are foods that have enzyme inhibitors in them.   They basically protect themselves from being broken down.  And, when they are in our bodies, it works the same way.  We cannot break them down.

So what we get out of these foods is very limited.  You get the fatty acids and the vitamins, so that's good.  But you don't get any of the protein or minerals in these seeds unless you sprout or soak them first.   ( Think about all those vegetarians and vegans who think they are getting their protein in ).

So all this time, I haven't been getting all the minerals I thought I was getting from my morning chia, pumpkin seed and nut breakfast. 

My plan is to start soaking my nuts and pumpkin seeds. 

Becky Boo

• View Profile
Re: Legumes, Seeds, Nuts and Grains
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
The WBB says to eat raw nuts and seeds. Is it ok to roast/bake them ourselves? Is soaking in salt water ok?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »
I suppose soaking or sprouting would still be raw.    Just a little step you have to do before hand.

I would think salt water is fine, as it's important that we include salt in our diet.  ( Easy to get salt in on processed foods, but it's something we need to add when doing a whole foods diet. )

The issue with baking or roasting them is that you get free radicals from the oxidized fats.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:23:50 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
Rita,
On Sayer Ji's podcast on GFS, he remarked on a study that found after sprouting a wheat berry, 36 days later there were still significant elevated levels of wheat lectin in both the root & leaf tips of the sprout. I'm wondering if and how this translates to other enzyme inhibitors.....

Becky Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »
Thanks Rita!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
Rita, I've read that several times before...maybe in paleo sites...can't remember...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
On Sayer Ji's podcast on GFS, he remarked on a study that found after sprouting a wheat berry, 36 days later there were still significant elevated levels of wheat lectin in both the root & leaf tips of the sprout. I'm wondering if and how this translates to other enzyme inhibitors.....

Not sure.   I'm soaking my pumpkin seeds and cashews right now, and I'll let them soak for maybe a day.   Not sure yet how to dry them.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
Rita,
He indicated that having seeds a few times per month are not harmful......I think I eat more than that!!!!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
How about a couple times a day?!  It's one of the things keeping my gastric system calm right now.  Don't ask me why it works, though.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »

Sponsored Links