This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Needing happy, focused, energetic good vibes sent my way!  (Read 4415 times)

HungryinTN

Needing happy, focused, energetic good vibes sent my way!
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
Well all, it is the end of the semester.  My last semester in coursework as a PhD student.  And the end-of-semester panic is setting in.  I have to read forty more books and write five more papers (a total of fifty pages) in the next three and a half weeks. I've just cleaned my kitchen and made sure all of my major cooking supplies are available.  I've just found out that my gym is closed most of the next couple of weeks for renovations, so that makes that part easy.  My house is cleaned to a level of manageable chaos, including laundry sorted so if I get desperate I can have my boyfriend do it.  And I think I have managed to work out all of my work projects so that I can get them all cleared up after my last paper is due and take a little time off next week.  Now all I need is the energy and focus to get it all done.  Needless to say, I don't have to worry about Thanksgiving, as my parents are five hours away and there is no way I can take time off for it.  My last paper is due on December 9th (not including a blog post for work the following week).  There is a small chance I might break my no-drinking rule that night.  In the meantime, happy thoughts please!  Thanks!   :)   (Also I might not be around much - or I might be around a lot if I'm procrastinating.  We'll see...)

VibeRadiant

Re: Needing happy, focused, energetic good vibes sent my way!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:37:51 AM »
Here is to your success!  :)

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:43:42 AM »
Happy, energetic thoughts sent your way Hungry. You can do this! :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »
Go get 'em, Hungry, we are cheering for you.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Also happy prayers :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Sending good thoughts your way.  Hang in there!! 

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
Well, I didn't get everything done I hoped to this weekend.  I got two books read and one paper written, but I ran out of steam about three hours ago.  But the good news is I'm starting the week with a clean kitchen and sorted laundry, which is going to be a big help getting the rest of it done.  I think if I go to bed now-ish, get up around 6-ish, and write the paper before going to work at 9, then read the rest of what I need to for tomorrow between work and class, then get the third book read and paper written by Wednesday to start on my first big paper on Thursday.  I can do this, right?  Right.  It's the last time I'll have to, so I'd better!

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Happy focused good vibes on their way from me.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 05:57:51 AM »
Remember to take out 10 minutes to 'rest and digest' your food after a meal.   

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:43 AM »
Wow Hungry, I do not envy you your schedule right now. Yes, you can do this. I would take Rita's recommendation to sit quietly for a few minutes after a meal, and maybe take a few to meditate/clear your mind. It needs a rest too with all you're asking of it these days!! :)

Happy, calm and focused energy still being sent your way!

HungryinTN

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
Update:  Paper #1 is done.  It's terrible, but it's done.  Seriously I think it was the worst paper I've written in my entire graduate career.  But my heart will not be broken if I get a B in the class, which I only need a low C on the paper to achieve, so, meh. 

On another note, I ordered myself the cutest outfit and it arrived today.  The clothes were way too big, which means I'm officially not "plus sized" anymore, but the ankle straps on the shoes turned my cankles into muffin tops.  Damn genetics! 

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 04:30:21 AM »
Seriously, Hungry, you don't have to read forty books, do you? I don't read that many in a year. You must have meant four, which still is a lot. You are doing great! Hang in there!

HungryinTN

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »
Well, I only have seven left if it makes you feel any better!  "Reading" in grad school is basically heavy skimming.  I have to read enough to make sure I know what the main points are and what kind of evidence the author uses to support his arguments.  In many ways it is harder than actual reading and requires some serious focus (thank goodness I discovered LCHF!) but it takes less time than reading cover to cover. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »
Hungry,

Grad school is never easy.  Step by step you are accomplishing your goal!  Take heart.  The next phase requires even more discipline, but at least there aren't any classes and papers to write.

FWIW, those ankle straps look horrid on most everyone except perhaps the models and some celebrities.  They are not meant to be worn for daily wear because they are too unstable and dangerously encourage falling.  Notice the pix are all taken at charity events.
This look is unflattering to almost everyone because the line cuts off the front of the foot from the leg.  Nice that you are a smaller size.  "More" (less) to come!

HungryinTN

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 08:52:50 AM »
I tried on the shoes again.  I think they may be growing on me.  They look really cute with my skinny jeans that come right to the ankle and therefore show the strap but not the "muffin top".  I won't have time to return them until next week so I have time to make up my mind.  But I think I have to walk through mud too much (my driveway is dirt and the parking area at work is dirt) for stilettos.  They're city shoes and I'm a small town girl.   ;)

In other news, I just wanted to share that I have managed to lose another three pounds during all of this madness!  It's not much, but my normal M.O. for finals time is to gain ten pounds from pizza and beer and late night writing sessions.  Losing anything is miraculous!  My current weight is 186.8, down from 219.8 six months ago, and my waist measurement is 34.5 (getting it under 35 is a major milestone goal for me).  Sayonara, plus-sizes!  See you again never! 

I can't believe I've lost thirteen pounds this semester.  Any of you who have gone to grad school probably know what a feat that is!  And it hasn't even been a struggle!  Not even a little bit!  Could I have lost it faster?  Sure.  I could have skipped every gluten-free pizza and every slip with the tortilla chips at Mexican restaurants (which hasn't happened in a couple of months now).  But I am absolutely thrilled with my progress and I wouldn't have had it any other way.  I'm out of classes next semester and will be focused on taking my qualifying exams and preparing a residency, which will give me a lot more schedule flexibility and a lot less constant urgency of task.  I wouldn't be surprised if I lose twice as much in the same amount of time, but I'm perfectly fine if I don't.  I feel like me again.  And I thank you all for being there for me along the way. 

Now, time to stop procrastinating and get back to work...

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
We're out here cheering you on. You rock!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »
I'm impressed with what you've accomplished Hungry. I can't imagine trying to make all these changes with all you have on your plate right now. Kudos!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »
You do an amazing amount, Hungry.  We're all hoping to see a photo of you holding your degree someday and looking extra healthy doing it.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
;)

In other news, I just wanted to share that I have managed to lose another three pounds during all of this madness!  It's not much, but my normal M.O. for finals time is to gain ten pounds from pizza and beer and late night writing sessions.  Losing anything is miraculous!  My current weight is 186.8, down from 219.8 six months ago, and my waist measurement is 34.5 (getting it under 35 is a major milestone goal for me).  Sayonara, plus-sizes!  See you again never! 

How's about you send some of that magic this way! Sharing is really a nice thing to do!   ;D

HungryinTN

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
I'll do my best!  btw, down another pound today!  I wonder if all of the extra supplements I started a couple of weeks ago area helping.  I just added selenium, copper, iodine, and vitamin A to my routine recently.  Could be the extra thyroid support? 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
Hungry,

Yes, the thyroid support helps a great deal.  This is why Dr. Davis recommends the supplements.  The grain/sugar diet just strains your system and many of the vitamins you might take just never are absorbed by your damaged intestines.  Once you remove the toxins (grain/sugar) then your body starts healing because it no longer is being poisoned.  Depending on your overall health, age and diet, your basic vitamin supplement doesn't vary too much.  Perhaps some smart sea salt company will start to add iodine like the table salt companies do.  Then you probably won't need to supplement iodine once your thyroid is working properly.  All this takes  time for your body to "right" itself.

Congrats on your weight loss!  The closer you are to your ideal weight, the better you will feel.   :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:18:42 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 10:22:15 PM »
You've done great!  You should be proud?  When is the last day of the semester?

HungryinTN

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 11:23:55 PM »
The last day for me is Monday.  That's when my last paper is due.  Grades out next Monday, the 16th.

HungryinTN

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 07:58:09 AM »
Okay.  Monday is over.  Schoolwork is done.  Saturday was the department Christmas party and I had two glasses of wine.  Last night my class met at a restaurant and I had a glass of wine.  Today I was up five pounds from last week.  D'oh!  (It's also PMS week so not too worried)  But it is done!  I will advance to candidacy as soon as I take my qualifying exams and get all of the paperwork in!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 08:16:12 AM »
I'm sending those vibes your way!

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
Hungry, I am so excited for you! You are almost to your goal and you can do it!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Yay!!!!!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »
It is good to have those qualifying exams behind you!  Good luck and glad it is the end of the semester!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09:43 PM »

Sponsored Links