This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Poll

Which option best describes why you are on the Wheat Belly Diet?

To lose weight?
9 (29%)
Celiac disease?
2 (6.5%)
Wheat sensitivity?
5 (16.1%)
To feel better in general?
11 (35.5%)
You just know too much about wheat?
3 (9.7%)
Other
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: April 17, 2014, 01:00:25 PM

Author Topic: Why are you on the Wheat Belly Diet? ( poll )  (Read 6472 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Why are you on the Wheat Belly Diet? ( poll )
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »
I'm curious what the main reason is that you are on the wheat belly diet.   I realize that for many of you the answers are all of the above.  But what's the
main reason you got started in the first place?

Loanne

• View Profile
Re: Why are you on the Wheat Belly Diet? ( poll )
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
I'm Loanne from Idaho.  I started Wheat Belly the week before Thanksgiving last fall.  I'd seen the book advertised before, but was so put off by the title that I ignored it completely for several months. Then I'm not sure why, I bought the book, bought the cookbook, and started.  It was a little shaky at first, but now 5 months later, I'm down 40 lbs, feel better than I have in many years.  Have always had a wheat sensitivity, lately had higher than normal blood sugar levels which really worried me.  Didn't want to end up with diabetes.  I'm due for new blood tests in a couple of weeks and anxious to see if they're better.  Appreciate this new forum!!  No one to talk to about it around here where I live, so this is good for me!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
That's great Loanne!  40 pounds is awesome!   ( I have to admit, I was embarrassed about the title too, especially around my teenage son ).

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
My husband and I have been doing this since Oct. 22, 2012 .  He is down over 30 pds.  Me only about 16 . Started exercising seriously again just recently.  Anyone have any ideas why my weight is stalled?  Just had all the thyroid test done that DR Davis recommended.  All numbers are Ok.  Getting discouraged a little. Help!

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:40:29 AM »
I don't look at it as a diet.
Initially I dumped wheat to see if I could get rid of my IBS, now I'm like... noboby should be eating wheat, that stuff is bad nomatter your condition.

In general I feel much better now, way less IBS symptoms and no more bloating, I was never overweight, just that belly I couldn't get rid off. It's gone now.

Some joint / muscle aching seems to go away slowly as well.

Waaay less restlesness, anxiety and racing heart.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
I understand about stalled weight loss.  Some weeks I only lose 1 lb or stay the same!!  But it's steady, downward usually 2 lbs a week.  I'm trying to limit extra stuff during day like that handful of nuts or extra cheese (unlike in the beginning when I hate handfuls of whatever was allowed).  I mainly only eat at meal time...not hungry very much and trying to listen to my body's signals.  If no growling...no eating!  Which is so different than prior to WB.  I ate all the time and stuff that was so bad for me.  I have a lot to lose, though, and am not half way yet (soon!).  That's probably why it's coming off steadily.  Soon, though I have to consider exercise of some type. Noticed it doesn't hurt so much to walk, so maybe that's what I'll do.  Yeah to all of us doing this!!

TFGal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
I'm also in Idaho and don't know anyone around here who's read the book, although I have one co-worker who got off grains via another route. Although feeling better in general is great, the whole Frankenwheat thing scares me. I've got family members with various, serious health issues and I SO don't want to be in their shoes 30 or 40 years from now. I figure the best way to spend my healthcare dollars is - NOT to. Prevention is my mission statement. I want to be the 80-year-old that still goes on long walks and swims, etc. I know people in Sun Valley (nearby ski town) close to that age who still ski cross-country almost every day during the season, because they live a healthy lifestyle. Gotta have goals! :D

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »
I told my children I'd like to die in a healthier state!

Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »
Haha Jan!  I understand what you meant - but in reading it I could hear me telling my 26 y/o daughter your response and her saying " Fine, then move to California, or Colorado!" 

Must be having one of those days...lol ;D

lwbarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
I ordered the book late last year after reading about it on Facebook, but never opened it (procrastination). In early January I had a mini-stroke with no deficiencies but it was a wake-up call that I needed to make a change in my lifestyle. I started reading WB and haven't stopped. There's probably not too many days that I don't refer back to it for one reason or another. Since mid-January I have not deviated, feel great, more energetic, and lost 23 lbs in the process.

anntsy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I was diagnosed last year with Type 2 diabetes and told I would have to shoot insulin for the rest of my life.  I figured out from doing research online that a low carb diet and lots of exercise could turn this around.  I found the Wheat Belly book and gave up wheat (partly because I saw this as a way to cut the carbs and partly because Dr. Davis scared me with the info about GMO). 

My overall health is improving.  I have lost some weight.  Still working on the last fifteen pounds but feeling so good to not be sticking myself with needles.  My doctor is amazed at my results (A1C down from 11% to 6.7% in six months time).  Slowly reversing this disease with the help of this great new diet. 

Tsumpter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »
I am gluten-sensitive and had stopped eating gluten and lost 10 ponds without trying. Then I counted calories and lost the rest, but I craved foods and when I read Dr Davis book realized that I had it all wrong. So I am maintaining my normal weight (I am 52 yo, 5'4" and 120#) and eat lots of great foods.

kmd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:22 AM »
I need to lose weight.  I've done it successfully by eating high protein, low fat and low carbs, but with some assistance from appetite suppressants (which I prefer to not use).  Two years later, I've gained back most of the weight.  This concept sounds like it makes sense to me.  I've ordered the book and can't wait to read it.  Of course, my kids will think I'm crazy!   ::)   Good thing they aren't living at home anymore! 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
I need to lose weight.  I've done it successfully by eating high protein, low fat and low carbs, but with some assistance from appetite suppressants (which I prefer to not use). 

You'll be surprised how you won't need those appetite suppressants with this.  I never knew about the opiate side of wheat before wheat belly.

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
I started the Wheat free plan to lose weight
and feel better. As I mentioned in my intro
I have lost weight, now total of 10 lbs in
8 weeks. The few health issues that I had
also seem to be slowly disappearing. I
had a meltdown type of day on Sunday..
feeling blue & low energy..just wondering
if I may have inadvertently ingested wheat?
Feel great today, chronic sinus symptoms
gone and haven't use Flonase for a few weeks!!
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and Dr Davis
Is speaking nearby tomorrow night so disappointed that I
can't go see him because of prior commitments!

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
Gluten sensitive, with all the fun IBS with it.  Known since a child that everytime I ate the rotten stuff I'd pay for it, pizza knew my weaknesses as well as giant burgers with huge buns.  I could walk into a restaurant with a flat tummy and leave with swollen legs, and looking like I was going to deliver a litter before getting home....which ran pretty close sometimes if it was far from home if you know what I mean.  Then I read Gary Taubes' books, then found Wheat Belly.  Then I read articles by Dr. Lustig about sugar.....found all the reasons why I better leave the wheat/grains/other carbs alone.  To date, after going through the brainwashing of the sixties (when my mother decided to start using corn oil and shortening instead of lard or butter) so I continued down the path to never feeling quite right and often thinking I was going to die.  Though I was never much overweight I'm back to when I was in my twenties - 4'11, small boned, and 102.2 since last January 1st.  Wheat Belly has given me a new lease on life and can't thank the writers of all the low carb/no sugar enough.
P.S. - my daughter had bowel problems and symptoms of thyroid rearing it's ugly head.  She's 5'1" and under a 100 lbs..  She's doing great with wonderful energy and stamina.

kmd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 06:05:59 AM »
I need to lose weight.  I've done it successfully by eating high protein, low fat and low carbs, but with some assistance from appetite suppressants (which I prefer to not use). 

You'll be surprised how you won't need those appetite suppressants with this.  I never knew about the opiate side of wheat before wheat belly.

You're absolutely right - I have had no hunger at all since dropping the wheat.  Although I still have a protein bar for my breakfast and did cave and eat a cookie the first 2 days - that was more a mind thing than a hunger thing.  In the past, I would have never had only one cookie - they are always eaten in 2's.  LOL!  That in itself is a victory.  I could live on cookies.  Hubby thinks I'm brain-washed from reading the book, though he's supportive of whatever I want to do.  He will join me in trying the new foods, but won't give up his beer.  He says it's made from barley and not wheat. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
kmd, barley has gluten in it.

There's a gluten free beer that is REALLY GOOD. It has barley in it, but the gluten has been removed. It's called Omission, but remember its still high carb.

Another one that's really good is called Daura. It's made in Spain. It's made with barley malt. "The brewery uses a proprietary technique to remove gluten from barley malt (the amount of gluten is below the allowable threshold)." Of course it's still high carb too.

kmd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
Thanks Deanna - I'll pass this on to him.  He's not 100% on board with this whole thing yet, though he's trying.  He hasn't read the book and rolls his eyes when I talk about some of the content.  However, he will do whatever he thinks will help me with my weight loss/healthy eating plan.  Honestly, he really has quite a big gut on him right now and could stand to follow the diet.  But, even with reading the book, I have many questions (I hope some will be answered here).  I cannot imagine trying to do this without reading it.

ie. today he did forgo a sandwich for lunch and had spaghetti and meatballs for lunch instead.   ???   Afterwards he asked if pasta had wheat in it.  ???  Seriously?  LOL!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »

Sponsored Links