This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Sugar free maple syrup  (Read 3121 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Sugar free maple syrup
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
So I purchased this sugar free maple syrup at sprouts the other day ( http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Hollow-Maple-Syrup-Ounce/dp/B002AJ0SZ6 )

It's says: 
Xylitol, sugarless, sugar free

Is there any reason that I shouldn't have this is I'm also going the weight loss route?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:47:47 PM by Rita »

arlin

• View Profile
Re: Sugar free maple syrup
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Dr. Davis addresses the use of maple syrup in the WBCB on pages 73 and 84. Apparently it's high in fructose and he recommends using it sparingly. Not sure, but possibly the fact that it's higher in fructose could cause a weight stall? Just guessing here. You might explore that angle further.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »
Dr. Davis is talking abour real maple syrup causing blood sugar spikes.  Since what you are speaking about is sugar free, I think it will be fine.  In fact he speaks about the sugar free syrup he uses, it's called DaVinci (brand name) and I get it at Walmart.  So, I know he uses sugar free syrups.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:37:04 AM »
Thank you for the clarification Janet! I've been going over and over in my head how I could possibly make something to go over almond pancakes and such. I don't mind using fresh fruit or homemade whipping cream, but sometimes I miss the flavor of syrup. I'll be looking into the possibilities for sugar free maple syrups now.

Rita~thank you for the link to the sugar free maple syrup!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:25:17 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Rita~thank you for the link to the sugar free maple syrup!!

No prob.   It's really tasty but I was feeling guilty about it and thinking that maybe I shouldn't have it.  Now I can have it and not feel bad.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
I remember Boundless recommending that in one of his comments......we've tried their BBQ sauce and honey.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
I'm headed for WalMart after work to see of the DaVinci maple syrup is in stock there.  I've just been afraid of making anything that's sweet...even pancakes.  Have always had such a sugar addiction, and even now, I find myself having more dark chocolate than I should, and I don't even like it that much!!  But this forum is very helpful, and Rita, many thanks for starting this thread.  I've told myself I'm going to make something sweet this weekend...I have all the sweeteners and other ingredients.  Just don't want to get off on another binge I can bring myself back from.  :(

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
> I remember Boundless recommending that in one of his comments...

Yep. It's what we use. Cheapest sources so far are Natural Grocer stores or mail order direct from Natures Hollow.

I use it sparingly, as I'm assuming that sugar alcohols [Xylitol] need to be treated as 50% net carb.

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
Tasty stuff!  Just tried some today on paleo pumpkin pancakes that were deeelish!! :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

Sponsored Links