This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Mashed Cauliflower  (Read 10550 times)

Mistyblue

• View Profile
Mashed Cauliflower
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
A substitute for mashed potatoes - cooked
Cauliflower mashed with Cocoanut oil
....yum!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Mashed Cauliflower
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:42:23 PM »
I made fritters the other day, where I did the cauliflower mashed potatoes, and added an egg to it, feta cheese, parmesan cheese, and then fried it in olive oil.

That was really good.

kmd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »
Do the mashed cauliflower taste like cauliflower?  Just asking because I'd like to try them, but hubby isn't a huge fan of cauliflower.  If they tasted more like potatoes, he'd go for them and I'd never tell.  LOL!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
You'd never know if was cauliflower.  It's not exactly like mashed potatoes, but it's really good in it's own right.   I'm not a big fan of just cooked cauliflower either.

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
I make them exactly like mashed potatoes.  Butter, heavy cream, parsley, salt/pepper, and always garlic.  The little guy that lives in a recliner in my living room loves them - but hates potatoes.  I used sliced cauliflower the other night in a dish I'd always used farfalle.  He claimed he liked it better because it didn't make you feel stuffed.  Go figure?

kmd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 05:30:49 AM »
Tried them last night.  I thought they were delicious.  DH still thought that they tasted just like cauliflower.   :P   However, he did like them better than the steamed cauliflower, so I'll be fixing them again.   :)

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
My dh doesn't like them too much either.  I make them anyway. But over the weekend found new recipe.  It's cauliflower,  cream cheese, bacon, and tons of cheese. Hubby loved it and said I can make it as often as I want. He will eat it every time he says.  Recipe on "skinnyfiberfriens.com "  it's called loaded cauliflower casserole. Good luck.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Janet~I would love to get to this recipe, but I tried typing the address in and it says there's no such site. I even tried "friends" instead of "friens" I will try googling "loaded cauliflower casserole". This sounds delicious. Thanks!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »
Arlin,

That's it exactly.  I had it sent to me as an attachment in e mail and just used the website at the bottom of the attachment.  Sorry it was wrong. But, the one you found is it!  Hope you make it soon.  You will love it.
By the way Trader Joe's has packages of uncured bacon end pieces and scraps.  I buy them all the time and use them in recipes like this.  It is so much cheaper than slices of uncured bacon.  Just a tip.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
Janet~I appreciate the tip! We just paid a small fortune for uncured bacon. Can't wait to try the recipe. I'll let you know when I do. Thanks again.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
Has anyone done cauliflower rice?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 05:48:07 AM »
Rita, we tried the cauliflower rice....added diced onions and sharp white cheddar....great side dish!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 06:25:44 AM »
Good to know.   I'll try it.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
We've done this a few times.  Steam them then mash them (a little for a rice-like effect or a lot for mashed-potato-effect).  We use coconut oil, garlic, last time we tried coconut milk which made them creamier.  That's all we've added so far and love them. 

We've used them inside wraps as a rice substitute.  Works very well. 

Next plan is to make a shepherd's/cottage pie. 

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
I make cauli rice often. I cook the raw grated ( you can use a food processor to grate it ) cauli in a hot wok with lots of coconut oil/bacon fat/ or whatever fat you like. Keep it hot and stir, stir, stir. Have a beaten egg ready and when it is almost done... like 8 mins of stirring add the egg and mix it in and stir some more. you are stirring cuz it's hot and you dont want it to stick. You could probably do it on less heat, but I find this works better. Also you can add seasoning... like soy sauce, Mrs. dash, garlic, onion, whatever you like. BUT have it all ready to add while you STIR. lol. It is very good. It's best when fresh, but I do make lots and freeze it and take it to work for lunch with frozen curry or fish or whatever. Try it, you'll love it!

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »
I just made the WB Chicken Pot Pie last night with the mashed cauliflower on top and I thought I was pretty n'er culinary heaven!  Man is that good stuff!!  Cauliflower rice??  Oh, my, I want to try that!  I miss eating rice and i tried the shirataki noodle-rice...Well, it ain't rice, I assure you. Try again, please!   :D

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
Hi Gem, I've never tried the Shirataki rice, never heard of it.... but the cauli rice is great. Just make sure you have all your ingredients ready and stir lots. It is great. After I made it the first time, I made it almost everyday for about a week it was sooooo good. If you make it let me know what you think. Happy cooking :)

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
Hi, I will try this recipe (from Louanneskitchen) but am wondering how many it serves? And how to store the leftovers? Oooooo it sounds yummy!
Thanks

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
Refrige for a few days or freeze. 

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Thanks Barbara.  :)

HungryinTN

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »
I made some fantastic mashed cauliflower the other day using pasture fed butter, garlic, whole grass-fed milk, and just a little sea salt and pepper.  Steamed the cauliflower then mashed it, added the ingredients, and whipped it up with my immersion blender for just a few seconds to smoothe it out.  My boyfriend still wouldn't eat it, but I thought it was delicious.  If I'd had it ready before he got there and just told him it was mashed potatoes, I bet he would have never been the wiser. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
If I'd had it ready before he got there and just told him it was mashed potatoes, I bet he would have never been the wiser.

That reminds me about what I used to say in my vegetarian days.  I would eat this processed stuff that looked like meat, and I would tell meat eaters that they would never know it wasn't real.  To think I ever at that processed stuff... blech!   

VibeRadiant

Re: Smashed Faux-tatoes
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »
I made some smashed faux-tatoes yesterday, cream and butter and then smash them in the food processor. I love it!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
GourmetGirls Cooks just posted a delicious recipe for chicken pot pie.  Wonderful crust for the top! 

I make mine in portion sized ramekins and then freeze so I can take out however many I need for whoever is showing up for dinner!

Sometimes I like a change from the cauliflower crust.  It is getting cold here at night and this is a nice warm, comforting dish to eat.

Linda R

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
The recipe looks great but I am always disappointed when the nutritional information is not posted to the recipe.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I'm having cauliflower mash tomorrow night with some left over crock pot pork tenderloin I have in the freezer.  Yum yum.  I use GG's cauliflower mash recipe.  Did I say Yum?

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
Lila,
I'm serving almost the exact same thing for a small dinner with family this coming Friday. I've never used GG's recipe before but I make cauli mash quite often and I'm looking forward to doing it a little differently. I'm sure it will be just as good as mine if not better.

Last time I did a pork tenderloin I rubbed it with a little sea salt, pepper, Emeril's Essence and dried rosemary leaves. Delicious!!!

Going to make a carrot cake with lemon "frosting" for dessert. People who eat my food are always a little amazed that I actually eat quite "normal" and tghey enjoy the food very much :)

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
I usually just throw my pork tenderloins  (I generally cook two at a time) in the crock pot with Vidalia onions, mushrooms, celery, green onions, about a cup of vegetable or chicken broth, green and colorful pepper, and season with Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning, a little cayenne pepper to give it some kick, sea salt, and ground black pepper.  Sometimes a few carrots, but aside from onions, we don't eat many root vegetables.  Makes a nice gravy & veggies to top the cauliflower mash with.  Yummy!!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
Sounds good Lila. I'll have to try it that way sometime.

Jamaica8

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »
I make mashed cauliflower just like mashed potatoes, then use it for making Shepherd's Pie.  It's now a favorite with my hubby.  We use it as a potato substitute all the time.  I don't think it tastes anything like cauliflower.  Adding milk, butter, salt, pepper and bacon also help!  Makes for a tasty and healthy meal!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »

Sponsored Links