This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New Statin Guidelines  (Read 8063 times)

Linda R

New Statin Guidelines
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »
The internet is buzzing with this news, and most of it is quite negative.
Tom Naughton jumped on the bandwagon as only he can..........
http://www.fathead-movie.com/

And one of my favorite authors/physicians has posted several times, this is his latest..........
http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/11/19/what-is-your-statin-by-date/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: New Statin Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Hi Linda,

Very funny!  Very glad this is all over the internet too.  The Gluten Summit had 100,000 people sign up!  Wow.  The message is certainly getting out there.   :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:19:17 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
That first link is pretty funny.  This is getting so bad that 1) either they've lost their minds or 2) someones got a gun to their heads (em...pocketbook).  I'm appalled they think we're so stupid.  Does anyone else feel as insulted as I do (when I'm not laughing at them)?  It scares me to think of what they'll turn their attention to next.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »

Lynda,

Of course you should be insulted!  We've been lied to, played for fools and even paid for it!  You and I and the rest of America bought the foods.  I didn't and I don't think you spent your money on foods to eat that we knew were unhealthy.  Microwave popcorn made even worse by the poisonous packaging which the chemicals actually accumulate in your system?  Milk with antibiotics, growth hormones and who knows what else, fed inappropriately and then having to be boiled so much that all the beneficial enzymes are lost, just for profits? It just makes me riled up that we were played for fools. 

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »

Lynda,

Of course you should be insulted!  We've been lied to, played for fools and even paid for it!  You and I and the rest of America bought the foods.  I didn't and I don't think you spent your money on foods to eat that we knew were unhealthy.  Microwave popcorn made even worse by the poisonous packaging which the chemicals actually accumulate in your system?  Milk with antibiotics, growth hormones and who knows what else, fed inappropriately and then having to be boiled so much that all the beneficial enzymes are lost, just for profits? It just makes me riled up that we were played for fools.

I think that is what angers me the most. For too many years, I bought into the low calorie, fat free logic, starving myself, buying box after box of that crappy Lean Cuisine and WW junk, assuming I was doing the right thing for my body. Using those poisoned vegetable oils, the man-made margarine, skim milk, etc. I wonder how many pounds of "pink slime" I ingested along with the cheap ground beef I bought? I wonder how many pounds of insecticides I ingested when buying regular veggies and fruits?
Could all those years of being lied to be the reason for me ending up in the hospital two years ago with chest pressure and a stent placed in my body before I could even do my own research as to whether or not I should even have that procedure done? Now I'm reading that those procedures are being done far too often and are not always necessary.
I stopped taking Lipitor within weeks after being given the pill. The muscles in my legs were quickly telling me that something was wrong. Now I am slowly weaning myself off of the last pill, metoprolol, am down to 1 1/2 pills a day and hope to quit those as well. I have lost all trust in the medical community and have my doubts about the pharmacists as well. What a sad state of affairs!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:05:35 AM »
I hear you, Barbara and Linda, to think that maybe I could have had perfect health instead of nerve disease, digestive problems and now maybe prediabetes, just makes me want to hit something.  I often wonder what condition I'd be in if I didn't see that crazy book cover on WB.  Barbara, that is so wonderful that you've been able to reduce your meds.  That's sure worth giving up a few sandwiches to accomplish.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:32:17 AM »
lol-

Love the backlash!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »
Lynda,

Many of the Gluten Summit lecturer's talk about major improvements and even complete reversals of neuropathy.  They even talk about the intestinal villi growing back when toxins (grains and sugars) are no longer eaten.  It does take time.  Careful and strict adherence to the WOE, nutritional supplements and lots of water are mentioned many times which enhances the recovery process.
Don't give up hope!  Next month, next year, whatever time it takes will show improvements in health rather than the downward spiral.

There are specific tests mentioned for food sensitivities.  Seems that new ones can crop up!  When I read all the transcripts again, I will be taking notes about the specific names and purposes and bring this to my doctor if I'm not sure.  In the meantime, I am trying to listen to how my body likes or dislikes the food I feed it. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
I'm excited to read all the findings listed here!  It would be great if my body could list all of the improvements/healing that have taken place over the last year.  I know there must be a ton of them (other than the obvious that I notice day-to-day)!  One I would really like to see better are my numb toes (from chemo).  It's been almost 4 years and still numb.  And yes, I, too, ate my share of those boxed dinners..YUCK.  Never liked them much. Thanks to all for the good info!

Linda R

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »
Wow Linda! More good info on magnesium.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »
Great info, I went and took another one :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »
Great article.  Nuts and seeds are a great source of magnesium.   However, all this time I've been thinking that I'm getting my magnesium in, when I really haven't.   Of course now I will since I'm soaking my seeds and nuts first.

I'm curious if epson salt baths are a good way of taking in magnesium.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
Mark's Daily Apple has a good article about adding epson salt to your bath:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-take-a-better-bath/#axzz2lJB2B9rs   .  Sounds like a great way to get magnesium in.

So hmmm....   take statins, or take an epson salt baths.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
The interesting thing about my new cholesterol numbers that I posted separately today is that my 10 year risk is 3.8% which falls below the 7.5% threshold.  Although I'm sure that my weight would counter that.

I guess I will hang in and stay off the statin for awhile.  I feel so much better, have so much more energy, can breathe much better, etc.  You all know how much better life is being wf.

Linda R

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
Thanks, Linda.  These articles help me stand up to my dr's concern that I won't take his statins.  I, too, got tremendous muscle pain and I still suffer with some of it.  My chol never really lowered much but he still frets over it. I've tried different brands, spacing the doses, nothing helped.  It's nice to know there's a dr in the world who doesn't think I'm nuts.

Linda R

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
Thanks, Linda.  These articles help me stand up to my dr's concern that I won't take his statins.  I, too, got tremendous muscle pain and I still suffer with some of it.  My chol never really lowered much but he still frets over it. I've tried different brands, spacing the doses, nothing helped.  It's nice to know there's a dr in the world who doesn't think I'm nuts.

You're welcome. You and a few others here are the main reasons I post these articles. Every time I see another one, to me, it is just one more "straw to break the camel's back", as they say.

I just keep reading more and more articles and blogs regarding the entire medical system and Big Pharma and the many faulty studies and it has become very clear to me that we all, more than ever, need to educate ourselves and make more and more decisions as to what is right for us, as individuals. I have completely lost my awe of the "white coat". I no longer put physicians up on a pedestal as before.

I am also very angry and disgusted, that we have been misled and lied to, over and over.

I had my first disagreement back when I experienced menopausal symptoms and my doc grabbed the pad to write out a scrip for hormones and I told him I was not going to take them.He looked at me with that expression that said, "You doubt me! A man with all this training and knowledge and you are nothing but a lowly female patient?"

I figured my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and all the other ancestors in my family had managed to survive without those damn drugs, so I would as well.

So, AFAIC, they can just leave my cholesterol alone. My brain needs it, as well as the rest of my body.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »
Keep posting,Linda R!

Linda R

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
And the NY Times chimes in............................

"We believe that the new guidelines are not adequately supported by objective data, and that statins should not be recommended for this vastly expanded class of healthy Americans. Instead of converting millions of people into statin customers, we should be focusing on the real factors that undeniably reduce the risk of heart disease: healthy diets, exercise and avoiding smoking. Patients should be skeptical about the guidelines, and have a meaningful dialogue with their doctors about statins, including what the evidence does and does not show, before deciding what is best for them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/opinion/dont-give-more-patients-statins.html?src=recg&_r=1&

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
I keep reading the articles about the new statin guidelines and I see the phrase 'eliminating the LDL requirements'.  It sounds like they are admitting that LDL isn't important but, in fact, is turning out to be they are giving you the statin no matter what the LDL is, so why test for it.  Typical double talk.

Linda R

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 07:49:40 AM »

"The new guidelines might make sense if statins were truly as effective as their proponents claim, and if they had no adverse effects. But they have an increasing list of side effects, which affect at least 18 percent of people who take them. These range from muscle pain, weakness and damage to cataracts, cognitive dysfunction, nerve damage, liver injury and kidney failure.

Even the most avid statin proponents agree that statins do not prevent 60 to 80 percent of cardiac events. This is called “residual risk.” If there were a vaccine, say Vaccine X, that did not prevent 60 to 80 percent of cases of Infection Y, very few would be inclined to take it.

As Jerome Hoffman, MD, Emeritus Professor of Medicine at UCLA wrote recently with regard to these guidelines: “How did we arrive at a place where conflicted parties get to make distorted semi-official pronouncements that have so much impact on public policy?” How indeed?"

http://www.reportingonhealth.org/2013/11/28/american-heart-association-protecting-industry-not-patients-barbara-roberts-md-and-martha?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reportingonhealth/main+(ReportingonHealth+-+All+Content)'

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
Heck, I'd bet my assets on shorting a stock that had that great a risk of dropping!  And I never speculate.  I once told my dr. that I could tell him why his compliance rate was so low; he looked a bit embarrassed at that, poor guy.  I pick on him alot but he really does care about his patients.  That is the true tragedy; that so many caring drs are prevented from healing by governing guidelines.  I once worked for a brilliant diagnostition and now wonder if he's just given up.

HungryinTN

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 09:37:44 AM »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
I new they AHA got donations, but I never considered their licensing deals.  That's a huge business:

The AHA also rakes in millions from food companies which are also million dollar donors and which pay from $5,490 to $7,500 per product to gain the “heart-check mark” imprimatur from the AHA, renewable, at a price, every year. The foods so anointed have to be low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol

Linda R

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
I new they AHA got donations, but I never considered their licensing deals.  That's a huge business:

The AHA also rakes in millions from food companies which are also million dollar donors and which pay from $5,490 to $7,500 per product to gain the “heart-check mark” imprimatur from the AHA, renewable, at a price, every year. The foods so anointed have to be low in fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol

And consumers continue to toss those boxes of crappy cereal, loaded with sugar and grains, into their carts, thinking they are actually buying healthy food! After all, see that check mark? Got to be good for me......................

And if they ever actually computed the price per pound of that crap, they would be astonished.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
I would have thought that green checkmark would cost more.  Shoot, they are selling our health for small change.

Linda R

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
"Cardiovascular primary prevention and regeneration programmes, through life style changes and abstaining from tobacco use have enhanced clinical efficacy and quality of life over any pharmaceutical or other conventional intervention."

http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=34065

They keep on a comin'

Linda R

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
Dr. Eades weighs in, and he is pissed! Statin given to his elderly, paralyzed father!

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/statins/statin-madness/#more-5428

Linda R

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
Linda....LOVE Dr. Eades blog! That's where I found out about the book, "The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity"......which is now included in all my holiday baskets!

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »
Jan, where did you get this book. I have been looking & could only find one on Amazon that ships from Italy. Thought it might not be in English. Dr. Eades got me excited about this too!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
Mosey,
I ordered the first one from Italy but it took forever to arrive so being impatient, I downloaded a copy via kindle on my IPad.....Luckily, we have some family members that are in the publishing business so they were able to get me multiple copies through a third party somewhere in time for the holidays. I love that little book!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »
Mosey,

I ordered several copies of the book through Amazon.  This was November 8.  Still waiting! The book is supposed to arrive any day now and hopefully before Christmas.  The expected delivery is any day now and before January 10. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:35:47 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »
So the amazon book is in english, from Italy. Think I'll order & by the time it comes in Feb. it will be a surprise 'cause I'll have forgotten about. Too bad I don't have a kindle, can't get wi-fi  in our rural area.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
I got my books yesterday.  This is an amusing rehash of behavioral patterns and motivational training talks from the 1960's and 70's, and 80's.  Dr. Cipolla taught at UC Berkeley and wrote this in 1976.  I am personally disappointed that it isn't more original since I am quite familiar with the quadrants/personalities description of behavior.  National Speaker's Association and many other national organizations had programs using this quadrant for training you in all kinds of things, from personal motivation to sales training skills. 

Nothing really original except for the catchy language.  Cute gift though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:18:07 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Linda R

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
Love this..........................

"Why I Am Happy With My 250 Cholesterol"

http://gopaleo.com/blog/2013/10/12/cholesterol-heart-disease-2.html

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
New NMR cholesterol numbers for moi--(I know--we don't believe in them but doctors do and my endocrinologist is particularly concerned with my NMR LDL-P especially). I haven't taken my statin for 6 months.

Now (NMR)                        3 Months ago (Not NMR)
Total                  214                                    236
HDL-C                 70    (should be >40)         71
LDL-C                 125  (should be <100)        143
LDL-P                1356 (should be <1000)
Small LDL-P         411 (should be <527)
Triglycerides          94                                   112

The trend is in the right direction so although she told me I should consider taking pravastatin or something called Welchol, which is not a statin, I think I will hold off for another 6 months at least. Overall the numbers are not so bad, as far as "meaningless" numbers go.

My 6 months ago NMR tests were while I was taking my statin, so it isn't a good comparison.

I'm wondering if I should be taking Niacin. I have been taking a non-flushing Niacin, which I read over the weekend is garbage.

My TSH is a tad higher than she'd like (another meaningless number) and she doesn't want to increase my cytomel (T3) but increased the T4.

And another thing--I was fasting for 15 hours and my glucose was 94. What's up with that?!? I know that isn't high but I would have thought I'd be closer to hypoglycemic (and what I've read lately indicates that the ideal is more around 84). I don't eat any added sugar, folks, and under 50 carbs per day.

I want to be ready for my appointment with my PCP next week, so I guess I'll be reading up on all things bloodwork.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:08:40 PM by Lila »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »
Hi Lila,

Your triglycerides are awesome!!!!   Your HDL  is awesome too!!

On main stream medicine, the thought on LDL-P is:
  • Ideal: <1000
  • Moderate: 1000-1299
  • Borderline High: 1300-1599
  • High: >1600
So even on that scale, you are almost moderate. But I think you should read this article:

http://chriskresser.com/what-causes-elevated-ldl-particle-number
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:53:39 PM by Rita »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »

Sponsored Links