This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Weight loss phase and Fasting  (Read 3418 times)

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
Weight loss phase and Fasting
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
Good afternoon,

I start the 6th month of being completely Wheat and Grain free tomorrow. I have lost 32lbs so far. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant.

I will also note that I KNOW that you're not supposed to count calories, but what do you do on days when you have absolutely zero hunger notification for 18 - 20 hours and it's becoming a daily thing?

In the past, I have read on here that many people don't get hungry until late in the day. This has been happening to me recently more often than I'm mentally comfortable with. Intermittent fasting has always come easily and never had a problem with that, but a simple zero no hungry feeling for 20 hours on a regular basis is making me uneasy. I am not the type who can sit down and eat even 600 - 800 calories in 1 meal, which is why the last several months I have continued to have something at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

I'm getting very concerned about inducing a bad stall by simply not being hungry at all and then later in the day not taking in enough calories. I'm eating the wonderful Cocoa Fat bombs someone posted about a month or so ago and consuming other fats when I do eat, but on days that you really eat drastically less, I don't see how this can be a good thing.

I know that it's going to just take time. I have close to 100lbs to lose. I wonder how you mentally get past the feeling of thinking you're going to go into starvation mode and how you can continue to lose weight. For someone like myself who can't eat a huge meal and needs to spread it out throughout the day just to get it in, even if you're not actually hungry, do you eat anyways?

-Bailey

HungryinTN

Re: Weight loss phase and Fasting
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
I wouldn't sweat it too much.  If you're not hungry, you're not hungry.  If you feel like you need something, maybe a spoonful of cashew butter or a whey shake?  I was making whey shakes for a while for times when I knew that I wasn't going to be able to eat when I was hungry but I wasn't hungry when I was able to eat.  Are you doing the bulletproof coffee? 

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »
I wouldn't sweat it too much.  If you're not hungry, you're not hungry.  If you feel like you need something, maybe a spoonful of cashew butter or a whey shake?  I was making whey shakes for a while for times when I knew that I wasn't going to be able to eat when I was hungry but I wasn't hungry when I was able to eat.  Are you doing the bulletproof coffee?

Good afternoon, Hungry.

Thank you for responding. You may or may not remember that I was having severe digestion issues a few months ago and I went to a new doctor who is an Internist, and at the time, since I was a new patient, I had no idea that she would be completely useless and I had to do all of the finding answers on my own. Unfortunately, I can no longer regularly have my beloved Tea with Coconut oil and other fats. I only have 1 cup of it a day now maybe every other week if that. More than 1 cup a day causes distress to my digestive system. I very well may have IBS, which is what the Internist advised, but I also think she was at a loss and just gave a generalized reasoning for all of my digestive issues at the time. I still am not fully healed from the diarrhea, but fortunately, since I have added Kefire and Kombucha, things are better for sure. In addition to the no Tea on a regular basis, I also dropped my daily beloved Salads and haven't had 1 in SIX weeks. Its incredibly upsetting because that was something that was easy to fix and take on the go.

I have typically always been at the higher end of 50 carbs a day. Maybe I just have to relax and be on the lower end for a while or at least on the days when I have no hunger. I just feel mentally unwell since it's going on 20 hours since I last ate and right now all I can see consuming is a Green Spinach smoothie with Almond milk, (1) Avocado, MCT oil, Full Fat Greek yogurt and Coconut Kefir. I know my inner fat-ass is trying to escape, but this just feels weird to not eat lol

VibeRadiant

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
Scrupulousgirl,

Not sure if taking digestive enzymes with your meals might help out. I am having problems taking in large amounts of fat, especially BP coffee, as it leaves me feeling nauseous for many hours afterwards. Since I couldn't find ox bile supplements, I have bought digestive enzymes with betaine HCI as the main ingredient.     

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
Scrupulousgirl,

Not sure if taking digestive enzymes with your meals might help out. I am having problems taking in large amounts of fat, especially BP coffee, as it leaves me feeling nauseous for many hours afterwards. Since I couldn't find ox bile supplements, I have bought digestive enzymes with betaine HCI as the main ingredient.   

Good afternoon, Vibe. Thank you for the suggestion. I started on the NOW Foods Enzymes probably 6 - 8 weeks ago. I am sure that it has helped, but I think the mainstay of digestive help for me is going to just be more time being Wheat free and continued weight loss. I chose to have a Green smoothie 22 hours into my unintentional fast today plus (2) Tablespoons of Ghee for the added fat. I guess I just mentally need to get over being in Ketosis and this low carb is ok, even if I am obese. When I was doing Medifast 3 years ago, I was fine with the 100 carbs a day and 800 - 1000 calories, but this low of calories and carbs is alot to take in.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
Good afternoon,

I start the 6th month of being completely Wheat and Grain free tomorrow. I have lost 32lbs so far. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant.

I will also note that I KNOW that you're not supposed to count calories, but what do you do on days when you have absolutely zero hunger notification for 18 - 20 hours and it's becoming a daily thing?

In the past, I have read on here that many people don't get hungry until late in the day. This has been happening to me recently more often than I'm mentally comfortable with. Intermittent fasting has always come easily and never had a problem with that, but a simple zero no hungry feeling for 20 hours on a regular basis is making me uneasy. I am not the type who can sit down and eat even 600 - 800 calories in 1 meal, which is why the last several months I have continued to have something at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

I'm getting very concerned about inducing a bad stall by simply not being hungry at all and then later in the day not taking in enough calories. I'm eating the wonderful Cocoa Fat bombs someone posted about a month or so ago and consuming other fats when I do eat, but on days that you really eat drastically less, I don't see how this can be a good thing.

I know that it's going to just take time. I have close to 100lbs to lose. I wonder how you mentally get past the feeling of thinking you're going to go into starvation mode and how you can continue to lose weight. For someone like myself who can't eat a huge meal and needs to spread it out throughout the day just to get it in, even if you're not actually hungry, do you eat anyways?

-Bailey

This post could have been "me"...except for the Pcos part.  I could relate to the insulin resistance and more.  I've only and I say only because my weight loss hasn't been as significant as many folks doing WB.  I think I could be one of those who will take a much longer time to lose.  It is frustrating for sure.  I won't "fall off the wagon" as this way of eating makes me feel so much better.  Plus as we all know when/if we'd consume anything with gluten we'd feel downright sick...which to me is a great inhibitor.  I don't have that "not feeling hungary" and wish I did.   Though some days I can go hours between eating depending on that day and my activities etc.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:55:57 AM »
I've also not experienced the instant fat loss, instant pain relief, instant anything, but yet - here I am still going at it.

What's interesting with this WOE (most of all) is the sense that I am not depriving myself. Unlike every other diet that I have tried, I would fall off quickly because 1. I wasn't losing weight, 2. I felt deprived and 3. I kept getting cravings.

Well, I am very slowly losing weight (in inches), I have yet to feel deprived and I don't get cravings. That alone says so much right there. I think that for me, there is so much going on beneath the surface that my body's is healing first (probably more important then weight loss) and then I will start seeing the outward manifestation of what this WOE will do for me.

I do a 12+ hour fast everyday, mostly because I just don't have an appetite after 5:30 pm, and I have my BP coffee at about 5:30 am, then will eat about 7 am or 8 am (or later).

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 07:56:51 AM »

This post could have been "me"...except for the Pcos part.  I could relate to the insulin resistance and more.  I've only and I say only because my weight loss hasn't been as significant as many folks doing WB.  I think I could be one of those who will take a much longer time to lose.  It is frustrating for sure.  I won't "fall off the wagon" as this way of eating makes me feel so much better.  Plus as we all know when/if we'd consume anything with gluten we'd feel downright sick...which to me is a great inhibitor.  I don't have that "not feeling hungary" and wish I did.   Though some days I can go hours between eating depending on that day and my activities etc.

LibbyMe,

It's nice to know someone can relate to how I was feeling a few days ago. I am much more settled this morning in knowing that it's ok to be around 20 -30 carbs a day and only eating once if that is what I need for that 24 hour period and if I need to go back to spreading it out throughout the day I can do that, too. Maybe I just needed to talk through it with people I know who understand.

I'm still trying to get my mom on board and found out this past week that my brother gave up Low carb, even though he never considered LCHF and Grain a Free. He thinks I'm nuts lol.

Vibe, It has only been about 3 weeks since my bad knee began to feel better. I still also have some tingling in my hands and feet if I sit too long. I have no idea what causes that, but it has been going on about 5 years. I agree that our bodies are going through so many various stages of healing it's just going to take time to get where we want to be. I keep holding on to the hope and excitement of our research and personal experience that we leave behind for others coming behind us so that they will know there is hope!

HungryinTN

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:09:42 AM »

Vibe, It has only been about 3 weeks since my bad knee began to feel better. I still also have some tingling in my hands and feet if I sit too long. I have no idea what causes that, but it has been going on about 5 years. I agree that our bodies are going through so many various stages of healing it's just going to take time to get where we want to be. I keep holding on to the hope and excitement of our research and personal experience that we leave behind for others coming behind us so that they will know there is hope!

My mother's troubles started with tingling, but she kept going to conventional doctors and didn't give up grains and try LCHF until after her body had already deteriorated to the point where she can no longer walk.  Our vegetarian, grain-based diet had poisoned her body to the point that her muscles were literally just falling apart.  Her cell structure had deteriorated and she was no longer retaining any water or nutrients from anything she was consuming.  I worry that ultimately this is what everyone's fate on a high-grain diet could be, especially in my family's case because we weren't eating any animal fat or meat to counteract the destructive tendencies of grains.  Healing takes a long time, but it's better than continuing to destroy ourselves!  Now if I can just get her to give up beans and start eating meat...

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »
Scrupulous,

Many times the tingling goes away when the excess weight is lost.

Jan from KeWest posted some of the Gluten Summit Transcripts.  Check out the one by Dr. Andrew Keech on Colostrum.
This will "right" your immune system and help heal your digestion issues and leaky gut problems. I bought the best brand I could find at a local vitamin shop and mail ordered Dr. Keech's brand since I wanted to try this immediately.  I has been 5 days and I can say that my sinuses don't feel quite as swollen and my digestive issues are gone.  I didn't need an afternoon nap either and had enough energy left to make a nice dinner after working in my garden for a few hours.  So far so good.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
Scrupulous,

Jan from KeWest posted some of the Gluten Summit Transcripts.  Check out the one by Dr. Andrew Keech on Colostrum.
This will "right" your immune system and help heal your digestion issues and leaky gut problems. I bought the best brand I could find at a local vitamin shop and mail ordered Dr. Keech's brand since I wanted to try this immediately.  I has been 5 days and I can say that my sinuses don't feel quite as swollen and my digestive issues are gone.  I didn't need an afternoon nap either and had enough energy left to make a nice dinner after working in my garden for a few hours.  So far so good.

Barbara,

Thank you for the reminder about the GS Transcripts & Jan Thank you for posting them. Honestly, when I lost 80lbs 3 yrs ago, I can't recall if the tingling went away. I do know if I can stay on track that by my 12 months of bring WF & GF next June, I should be where I was weight-wise when I freaked out about the loose skin. We have discussed that before and I have gotten on the Great Lakes Gelatin by adding them to my Green smoothies. I am a praying woman and started praying a few months ago about when I get to next June to keep pressing through. I also wrote out a list of all of the things so far that WF & GF has benefitted and caused me success and healing with. I will absolutely look into Dr. Keech and thank you again for sharing!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
Barbara, exactly which supplement did you order from Dr Keech? I really want to do this but couldn't get the link from the summit to download or even open. You are a smart lady so do you mind if I copy you? Thanks so much 😄

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »
Hi Suz,

I ordered from vitamins@physician'spreference.com    Telephone is 281-646-1659 for a representative to help you. The line was busy and I had to leave, so even though I wasn't sure what to get,  I ordered both the colostrum capsules and the Complete Immune Balance Spray.  They sell Dr. Keech's product.  You might just google Dr. Keech to find out more about his work and this product.  There is a great deal of information on colostrum on the internet. 

The important thing is to purchase colestrum that is taken from the first day of calving. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:14:11 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
Thank you Barbara. Really appreciate it. I've read much today but since I can't get his part of the gluten free summit I guess I'm still stabbing in he dark. I've got a message out to Jan in Key West to see Im too late. I did get to download Dr Davis and Dr Perlmutter. Figured I download the rest at a later time. Bad idea 😩

VibeRadiant

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 03:50:30 AM »
I just tried to upload the Keech transcript and the file is too large.  If you want to PM me with your email address, I can send it to you that way.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
Scrupulous,

I wanted to report back and say that I started on Colostrum tablet tonight. I went with the NOW foods brand. It's cheaper than what you purchased, but I just wanted to get started and see how I do with it. I will probably treat it like Probiotics and switch to another brand when I am done with this. Hopefully, things will go smoothly as the next couple of weeks progress. So far, since last week, the lower end of the carbs has been going great!

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »

Sponsored Links