This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Fitness: who's working out / running / walking?  (Read 4328 times)

Bing

• View Profile
Fitness: who's working out / running / walking?
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:13:12 AM »
I'm trying to go for a walk (1 hour) at least 3 times a week.

Just started working out at home, used to go to the gym but takes too long.
I do push-ups and some lifting a couple of times a week, still figuring out a decent regimen.

Will start jogging again as well, like 2 times a week, just half an hour or so.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness: who's working out / running / walking?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:26:48 AM »
I have a dog, so walking is a must.

I've also been doing Zumba, which is really a fun way to work out.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:45 AM »
I used to walk a mile or more every day, but this winter has been cold and wet and I wasn't feeling all that well so I got out of the habit. I have a lot more energy now and I'm feeling so much better that I can't wait to get back outside for a walk. Now, if only the weather would co-operate!! Still wet and cold today, even though we actually thought Spring might have arrived here last week.  :P

I'm not much into other types of exercise (age maybe? just lazy? HA) but I really do like to walk. And I've been thinking about adding some simple yoga into the mix. Bought the DVD and the mat. Won't do me much good if I don't use them!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »
DH and I walk almost every day...about 30 minutes. We pick up trash along our property line as we go...makes me feel more productive...plus makes our road look better :))

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:29:01 AM »
For some time now, my weekly goal has been 2-3 days of cardio and 2-3 days of strength training. Once in a while I'll throw in some qi gong, Pilates, or yoga to work on flexibility and balance. Have tons of workout DVDs and love the variety. For strength training I like traditional gym-style training with free weights and resistance bands. Cardio can be anything: aerobic workouts, light kettlebell, rebounding, or Zumba for the Wii. I also signed up for Zumba classes in May.

We've had a brutal, lengthy winter here in the Midwest, so I haven't been walking outside. Looks as though the weather will be great for outdoor walking beginning tomorrow, though! I'm lucky to have a walking/running path close to where I work, so after lunch I head out for a 2.5 mile walk every day that I can. DH and I take longer hikes in regional parks on weekends. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »
I do yoga 5 -  6 mornings a week.......walk 1 1/2 hrs. at least 3 times per week.....and ride my bike & walk to get groceries and do errands etc.....rarely use the car down here.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 07:30:54 PM »
I have been working out a lot since beginning of March.  I took from Nov. to March off.   It's been a hard winter here.  I walk/jog on my treadmill 5 times a week or so.  I usually do about 3 miles each time.  But in last 3 weeks been riding my bike again. Hubby and I rode 10 miles yesterday.  Today I rode 15 miles by myself. Training for a "warrior dash" in August!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »
Today I rode 15 miles by myself. Training for a "warrior dash" in August!

That's awesome.  Tell us about the Warrior Dash.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:12:21 AM »
Warrior dash is a 5k(3.2 miles) race with obstacles.  Like climbing over a wall crawling through mud on stomach because barb wire is above you etc.  This will be my first one.  My younger sister turns 50 this year and wants us to do it with her as our gift to her.  Like a crazy sister I said yes!  You can google warrior dash to see more.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:38 AM »
Warrior dash is a 5k(3.2 miles) race with obstacles.  Like climbing over a wall crawling through mud on stomach because barb wire is above you etc.  This will be my first one.  My younger sister turns 50 this year and wants us to do it with her as our gift to her.  Like a crazy sister I said yes!  You can google warrior dash to see more.

Boy... good for you!  And what a good sister you are.  :)

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »

I'm impressed! And I agree with Rita: what a good sister you are. 

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
Yes, either a good sister or a stupid sister.  If I were smarter I would have just bought her a really nice present and told her I would be there to support her when she runs it.  Ha! Ha!
It will be fun just to be with all my sisters, my daughter and my nieces for the weekend.

Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »
When I first started WB and then transitioned into Paleo lifestyle, I didn't exercise at all, except a few 1/2 hour walks a week (it was winter in the Midwest) from December 2011 to June 2012.  I wanted to get my food and nutrition in place before I addressed the issue.  I have always exercised (I am 65 in September) but had a tendency to go overboard and get into "chronic cardio".  The Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint, Marks Daily Apple site) directed me to moderate cardio, body weight lifting, and sprinting.  I now do  sets of 5 or 10 lb. dumbbell upper body exercises, bended knee pushups, hindu squats and follow the PACE intense interval training.  Last summer was so hot I quit doing sprints and started using my basement stairs for intervals to get my heart rate to maximum for short periods of time. Say, 1 min. rest, 90 sec. rest, 2 min. rest then 4 min rest.  Every 10 workouts I change it up, like reverse the times, etc. I got this from the book: P.A.C.E.: the 12-minute fitness revolution by Al Sears.  In 3 months I got my resting heart rate from 72 to 60 and leaned out some.  I feel so good and get it over with fast.  I only do this 2 or 3 times a week--new thinking is this is best for many.  BTW, my knees are just fine. I have some 5-finger shoes with separate toe spaces and they seem to put my foot on the ball area instead of pounding the heel area.

Going down stairs (and I bounce down them pretty fast) is excellent for building bone--more than going up stairs.  Who knew?  Building bone is how I got on this whole wonderful merry go round of WB and whole food nutrition in the first place.

If anyone wants the dumbbell exercises website, I will post them. Or you can email me and I will send the links.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:40:11 PM by Janet »

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
I run a couple of times a week, 5-10km.  I've been doing this for a little more than 2 years. 

It was interesting because when I started running at age 35 I put in a couple of months and saw a great improvement.  I then read "The Paleo Diet" and began making serious changes to my eating.  I had a hard time for about a month, feeling tired and weak early in my runs, although I felt fine the rest of the day.  The next step was to go out and buy "The Paleo Diet For Athletes".  I actually found it quite helpful and my runs felt more energetic.  Basically, I was taking in a bit more carbs within an hour each side of a workout.  Healthy, whole grains of course!  The workouts felt better and the recovery felt better.  A year into this I did a semi-competitive 10k race with about 50,000 other people and timed better than I thought I possibly could.  I was very happy.  I had even eaten a higher-than-normal for me carb dinner the night before to make extra sure my glycogen reserves were all topped up.  I figured this was the only way.

One year later, and 2 months into a relatively strict WB diet, I did the same 10k run 2 weeks ago.  For dinner the night before I had steak, veggies, and red wine.  For breakfast I had nothing but a banana (which I don't normally eat these days) and my energy level was very strong through the entire race.  My time was exactly 1 second slower than a year prior!  This was with very, very little training, much less than last year.  1 second difference over 10km and just under 49 minutes.  I'd call that statistically insignificant!  Again, virtually no training this year.  I've got that one on standby the next time anyone tries to suggest the importance of "carb loading" as if it's 1975. 

On the topic of running I'm very disappointed to see the kind of nutritional advice given EVERY month in the running magazines.  Absolutely horrible stuff. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »

Sponsored Links