This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Basic Quick Bread  (Read 11251 times)

Linda R

Basic Quick Bread
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:41:25 AM »
Finally found a simple bread for everyday use. Found this at a site with many nice recipes. I think the person who started this blog is taking a hiatus, wish she would come back.............
http://www.sugarfreelowcarbrecipes.com/

cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquified
8 eggs  [4.80]
⅔ cup almond flour   [4.00]
⅓ cup coconut flour  [16.00]
teaspoon xanthan gum
teaspoon salt
1 tsp baking powder  [my addition] I now omit this ingredient.

Break eggs into food processor then blend until yolks and whites combined. Add remaining ingredients and process until a dough is formed. Spread dough into a greased 95 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350F about 40 - 50 minutes or until top is browned.

Cut into 16 slices, 1 slice = 1.50 net grams   Awesome!

I enjoyed two end slices, warm from the oven, slathered with butter. Filling and quite good.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:43:32 PM by Linda R »

Lila

• View Profile
Re: Basic Quick Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »
I was going to make Dr. D's bread today, but maybe I'll make yours instead!  Looks yummy! 

I would like to have a slice of toast for breakfast.  If you make fewer slices, do you think it will hold up in the toaster?

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »
I was going to make Dr. D's bread today, but maybe I'll make yours instead!  Looks yummy! 

I would like to have a slice of toast for breakfast.  If you make fewer slices, do you think it will hold up in the toaster?

It seems to be quite sturdy. I sliced mine into 16 slices and I think they will toast just fine. If you go with thicker slices, I would assume they will be even more sturdy?
My toaster is one that accommodates thick or thin slices, but, sometimes, if bread is flimsy, I remove it gently with tongs.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Is xanthan gum a powder or what? Thanks for posting this Linda.

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
Is xanthan gum a powder or what? Thanks for posting this Linda.

Yes, xanthan is a powder, a little goes a long, long way. I have only seen it used as a substitute for corn starch or arrowroot, so I am not sure why Lisa used it in this bread recipe.

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Be careful about the xantham gum.  Sometimes it is a gluten-bearing product.  Does anyone know what brands are considered "safe"?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
Bob's Red Mill says gluten free on the package.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »
I used Bob's Red Mill--it does indeed say "gluten free".  And seems to be 100% fiber.  I am afraid to use it, though. If you get it on your hands and then add water it feels so slimy.  I got it on my refrigerator door handle and I don't know if I'll ever get it off!!

In the gravy I made, I used it in pinches--adding it that way kept it from clumping. But I obviously didn't add enough.  It did not seem to add any flavor at all, which is great.

Linda R

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »
Here are some tips from Linda's blog.

"WORKING WITH XANTHAN GUM

A little xanthan gum works great to thicken sauces and puddings, but can turn gummy if not added properly. What works best for me is to put what I need in a measuring spoon and, with one hand, very lightly sprinkle it over the surface of my sauce while briskly whisking it in with my other hand. I add it as gradually as I can. Ideally, sprinkling it from a shaker jar would be the best way to go, but I have to measure mine when I'm testing recipes. Xanthan gum is more likely to clump if you add it too quickly to liquids. I've had very good luck sprinkling it a bit more liberally over the surface of more solid foods like chili or stir-fries. I find that I don't need to be quite as careful in those cases.

If your recipe doesn't call for xanthan gum, and you'd like to add a little, start with only 1/8 teaspoon then wait a minute or so to see the results before adding more an 1/8 teaspoon at a time. As far as cleanup goes, you don't want to rinse your measuring spoon with water. You'll end up with sticky slime that's very difficult to clean off the spoon as well as your hands. Instead, take a dry Kleenex or napkin and brush the powder off the spoon.

Thanks to ravenrose at Low Carb Friends, there is a new, easier way to blend xanthan gum into liquid with no fear of getting lumps. Before adding the xanthan gum to your sauce, mix it with an equal amount of oil in a small dish. The xanthan gum will dissolve instantly in the oil and your sauce will be lump-free. I suggest mixing up a little more of the mixture than you think you might need and add it to the simmering sauce gradually until thickened as desired. Generally, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum is all that is needed for most sauces."

KareMI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:20:12 AM »
I made the bread yesterday. The best recipe so far. The bread came out nice and golden on top and the insides were a rich buttery color. Love it .
As for the xanthan gum, will have to give the putting in oil trick a try and with a lot less than I tried to mix with water for my turkey soup. What a clump. LOL. Dumped it in the trash and with the price of it to begin with can't afford to do that very often.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »
This looks good, thank you.  I am assuming that, since it does toast, it would hold up to sandwiches?  My DH still mourns having bread that will hold sandwich filling.  Does it require a food processor or can I just beat it to death with a wisk?

Linda R

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »
This looks good, thank you. I am assuming that, since it does toast, it would hold up to sandwiches? My DH still mourns having bread that will hold sandwich filling.  Does it require a food processor or can I just beat it to death with a wisk?

It toasts beautifully and holds up well in a sandwich. I just fixed myself some cinnamon toast by buttering the warm toast and then sprinkling with a small amount of granulated Splenda, plus cinnamon. Brought back memories of my childhood!

This looks good, thank you.  I am assuming that, since it does toast, it would hold up to sandwiches?  My DH still mourns having bread that will hold sandwich filling.  Does it require a food processor or can I just beat it to death with a wisk?

Made myself a cheeseburger last week, used two slices along with a 4 oz grass fed beef burger, spicy mustard and some grated Asiago cheese. Delish! Worked great.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:31:17 AM by Linda R »

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
Linda, thanks for this recipe. it's a little bit on the eggy side but for those times (rarely now) that ya want a piece of bread it works. Thanks to you I have been able to have a grilled cheese sandwich, something I haven't tasted in almost a year. Going to slice & freeze the rest.

Linda R

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 01:23:38 PM »
Linda, thanks for this recipe. it's a little bit on the eggy side but for those times (rarely now) that ya want a piece of bread it works. Thanks to you I have been able to have a grilled cheese sandwich, something I haven't tasted in almost a year. Going to slice & freeze the rest.

I agree, it is a little on the eggy side, and VERY filling. When I fix myself a cheeeburger using two slices, I can barely get it all eaten!

Going to slice & freeze the rest.

I slice mine into smallish slices, putting two at a time into sandwich bags, then put the sandwich bags into quart size freezer bags. When I am hungry for a sandwich I simply remove what I need and either pop into my toaster or the microwave to thaw out. 

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 06:48:12 AM »
Thanks, good way to freeze.

Linda R

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
Just baked this for the 3rd or 4th time, great bread.
This time I used a 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 loaf pan rather than the 9 x 5 called for in the recipe and I got a much nicer rise to the bread, took just 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Ended up with 18 thin slices at 1.35 net grams per slice, but this bread is so rich with all those eggs and good fat that I prefer thin slices.

Slathered a slice with some butter that I recently bought through the Iowa Food Coop from a local dairy!
Who says we LCHF followers don't eat well? :) :) :)

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
Just baked this for the 3rd or 4th time, great bread.
This time I used a 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 loaf pan rather than the 9 x 5 called for in the recipe and I got a much nicer rise to the bread, took just 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Ended up with 18 thin slices at 1.35 net grams per slice, but this bread is so rich with all those eggs and good fat that I prefer thin slices.

Slathered a slice with some butter that I recently bought through the Iowa Food Coop from a local dairy!
Who says we LCHF followers don't eat well? :) :) :)

Linda R:
  Just a thought here. Many recipes have eggs in them, but no "rise" to the finished end product. Once read somewhere that separating the eggs, beating the whites, & incorporating (folding gently) into the rest of the recipe that is already mixed with all the other ingredients gives "lift" to recipe while it's being baked.
  Has anyone here tried this? I would assume that this would help add air & create that "lift" to make it look more like what we are used to (such as in the way we make "bread" now w/o grains & yeast.
  Anyone with thoughts on this?

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
Finally found a simple bread for everyday use. Found this at a site with many nice recipes. I think the person who started this blog is taking a hiatus, wish she would come back.............

Linda R:  The recipes are back online. Just got done visiting the site, but, be forewarned, the recipes aren't current. She must have just put her older, published recipes back online.

Linda R

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »
No, she's not posting, the picture that comes up along with the meatloaf recipe and all of her other creations has been there for months and months.
She apparently was thoughtful and left all of her recipes available to us but is off living her life.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »
I'm going to try this basic quick bread this weekend...never got a chance to last weekend because of memorial, so this weekend is it!  I've enjoyed Gourmet Girl's quick breads, so this new one will be even better, I'm sure. 

Linda R

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »
Lisa is back, one of my favorite low carb sites.
She took off for awhile after her baby arrived.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »
Lisa is back, one of my favorite low carb sites.
She took off for awhile after her baby arrived.

Linda : Was just there, & the address has changed slightly; remove the www. part and only use the http:// part.

Be aware that not all of the recipes there are not WB compliant. The majority of them are, though.

ldyrdr

LindaSue

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
What can I use in place of Xanthan Gum?  This stuff is so expensive and the smallest package I could find was an 8 oz. bag of Bob's Red Mill.  This would be enough to last me a lifetime and it sounds tricky to use.  I really want to try this bread recipe but am on the fence at the moment.  Input would be welcome, thanks!

Linda R

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
What can I use in place of Xanthan Gum?  This stuff is so expensive and the smallest package I could find was an 8 oz. bag of Bob's Red Mill.  This would be enough to last me a lifetime and it sounds tricky to use.  I really want to try this bread recipe but am on the fence at the moment.  Input would be welcome, thanks!

I have never had any problem using this product. Yes, it is pricey, but will keep forever. Mine is in a bag in the fridge most of the time, bought it back in Feb of 2011 and still have some.
All you have to remember is to simply wipe off your measuring spoon with a dry paper towel. Using a wet cloth does tend to make it slimy and harder to clean.
Start with a very small amount if making gravy or using as a thickener and add more as needed.
Many low carb recipe creators use this item so I find it very handy to keep in my kitchen.

Linda R

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »
Here is Lisa's latest recipe using the Basic Quick Bread and it looks delicious. I am waiting for her response regarding leftovers suitable for freezing.

http://www.sugarfreelowcarbrecipes.com/gluten-free-ham-cheese-strata/#comment-12987

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
I'm always on the lookout for good bread recipes, too.  Will try this new and improved version.  I tried a Paleo multi-grain bread for the Thanksgiving holiday, (multi-grain just means it has several seeds)...and it flopped.  Didn't rise - any!  And hard.  So, I'm moving on to other recipes.  After 2 years on WB, I'm not craving bread anymore, but a slice now and then under a fried egg is wonderful!  This Basic Quick Bread recipe looks like I might even be able to make a sandwich!!   :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
Various thickeners to use in place of xanthan gum:

guar gum
chia seeds
psyllium flour
ground golden flax seeds
gelatin
agar agar
konjac root flour
coconut flour
potato starch

NOTE:  Each of these has different properties and purposes, making them tricky to use.  It really is necessary to read up on them and understand their properties for successful use.   With the exception of ground golden flax seed which quickly gets rancid, most of the other listed items do last for years and years.

Linda R

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »
Here is Lisa's latest recipe using the Basic Quick Bread and it looks delicious. I am waiting for her response regarding leftovers suitable for freezing.

http://www.sugarfreelowcarbrecipes.com/gluten-free-ham-cheese-strata/#comment-12987

Yes, leftovers are freezable!

Guess I'll be looking for some ham from the Coop in January..................

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
Linda,

Terrific that this is freezable!   Looks like a good recipe to have on hand.  Thanks for posting.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »

Sponsored Links