This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 19565 times)

VibeRadiant

Supplements
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
What supplements are you taking?

I take .25 ml of liquid vitamin D3 in the morning.
I take a digestive enzyme with every meal, including in the morning with my BP coffee.
In the evening I take 1 tbsp cod liver oil, 1 tbsp gelatin and 1/2 tsp turmeric mixed with water.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:16:06 AM by jgilberAZ »
Low Carb Since April 2009.

HungryinTN

Re: Supplements
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:46:15 PM »
Morning:
Now Foods Vitamin D-3 5000 IU
Life Extension Super K (2200 mcg K2 complex)
Now Foods Selenium 200 mcg
Solaray Iodine 1 mg
Vitamin Shoppe Copper 2 mg

Midday
Nature's Best B12 1000 mg
Source Naturals Mega Folinic 800 mcg
Country Life Vitamin A 10000 IU

Evening
Doctor's Best Chelated Magnesium 800 mg
1 T beef gelatin in a cup of chamomile tea

Sometimes I feel like I spend half my day taking supplements. 

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
Sometimes I feel like I spend half my day taking supplements.

I know what you mean!

But ... I've been thinking of adding Vitamin C to the list.

;)
Low Carb Since April 2009.

HungryinTN

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56:04 AM »
I've just started adding a vitamin C to my morning and evening routine, but I haven't settled on a dosage or invested in a fancy brand yet. 

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »
Question: if WF is a healthy way of eating, why
all the supplements? Just wondering?

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
For one, because of soil depletion (due largely to the destructiveness of factory farming and monocrop agriculture) a lot of nutrients aren't as plentiful as they should be in our food, even when we're eating the right things.  For another, the SAD leaves your body woefully deficient, and supplements can help you catch back up faster.  Here's the article I've been relying on for my supplement info:  http://www.bulletproofexec.com/optimize-your-supplements/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:25:24 AM by HungryinTN »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
To answer Misty (for my situation), I had two niffty vitamin deficiencies that were discovered early into my starting to eat WF.  It seems my previous diet and my body weren't partnering up to supply me properly.  The B12 may be the reason I have peripheral neuropathy.  After supplimenting, I have no symptoms in my hands any more (feet/legs, yes).  The D3 has improved or removed many precancers on my skin, thickened my nails and dissolved a large lump in my ear that prevented my using my hearing aids for years.  Needless to say, I urge everyone to be vitamin tested.  The list below is current and I am considering iodine (due to hypothyroid) and will increase my mag slowly.  Hungry gives a good explanation why even WF may not be enough add to that; aging bodies aren't as effecient.
Nature Made D3  10,000iu
Life Expension  Super K  1000 mcg
Sundown Naturals B12 1000mcg
Sundown Naturals CoQ10 200mg
Source Naturals Magnesium Malate 416 mg

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 07:20:18 AM »
Dry vitamin A w/ calcium (helps w/ hiatal hernia)
Iceland Health Omega-3 w/ vitamin D3
Probiotic
Magnesium-Doctor's Best chelated
B complex occasionally

VibeRadiant

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
I started taking glucosamine sulfate 3-4 times a day for the last week. And epsom salt baths to assist in detoxing.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:25:03 PM »
Just digestive enzymes and probiotics.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
Probiotic
Evening Primrose Oil
Vitamin D3
5-HTP
Melatonin - occasionally
Digestive Enzymes
Kelp
Biotin
Vitamin C
Coconut Oil Tablets since I can't have Tea for now

ETA: Cat's Claw and Great Lakes Gelatin

ETA: Colostrum

ETA: MSM Sulfer & Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc with D3

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:27:19 PM by scrupulousgirl »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
I take
Magnesium Malate (2x per day--after breakfast & after dinner)
Kelp
Fish Oil (evening)
Niacin
4000 Vitamin D3
Biotin
Probiotic (about 4x per week)

when I remember I'm going to buy some tumeric

VibeRadiant

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
I am thinking of adding 5-HTP and I wonder what those of you who do use it it, think of it.

The reason why I am thinking of adding it is that I carry a lot of stress, and I just started a new job (which I feel is way above my abilities) and I am stressed out!

Which might explain why I haven't seen any results in nearly 4 months of this WOE. 

From what I have read, it seems like a natural way to lower stress and feel calmer.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 05:16:13 PM »
Ever considered yoga?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
Vibe,

Good idea.  A good multi-B complex helps too. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
Ever considered yoga?

I have physical limitations that keeps me from yoga other than the breathing kind.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
Vibe,

Good idea.  A good multi-B complex helps too.

I take a multi vitamin that has B1-2-6-12 and I take extra B12 as well.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Vibe.....what are your physical limitations?  I'm a yoga teacher.....

VibeRadiant

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
I have nerve pain from a dislocated hip and a C4-C5 neck injury, both limit me severely and cause me constant discomfort/pain.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
Are you severally overweight?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
Inward or outward rotation issues?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »
Are you severally overweight?

maybe 25 lbs.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »
  • That's not a significant weight issue...but if you want to personal message me...I may be able to give you some things to do to strengthen your cervical vertebra.   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:46:59 AM by Rita »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 01:30:59 PM »
I started taking 5-HTP today, 1 tablet 3 times a day. Let's see what that does to me.

I hope it doesn't make me *high*, I just want to be more relaxed and stress free. *fingers crossed*

VibeRadiant

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:55 PM »
Has anyone taken silica? I found this supplement (Jamieson) and it seems that silica is good for many things; Silica helps maintain and repair collagen and connective tissue, as well as heal bones and wounds. It aids with cardiovascular strength, flexibility and support and it alleviates stomach and other gastrointestinal problems.[/size]Silica provides pain relief and healing assistance with burns and eliminates tooth loss and gum weakness. It relieves vertigo and eliminates aluminium in the body and excess oil from the skin.Silica enhances the immune system and helps to slow down the aging process. Swiss Spa™ Silica with Zinc is derived from pure spring horsetail herb with naturally occurring flavanoids, saponins and minerals. This extract contains no thiaminase, an enzyme in horsetail that destroys thiamine, Vitamin B1 in the body.

I've tried other supplements without much relief, so I added this yesterday and will see if I feel some relief.

I also came across a site called
[size=78%]http://inflammationzero.com/info.html[/size]
[/size] that describes silica and its benefits but it sells it in powder hwereas Jamieson sells it in tablet form.  I couldn't find the powder version.[/font]

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:35 AM »
Jan
I got a yoga mat for Christmas and some props with a DVD earlier. I would like a good beginners yoga as the DVD seems a little complicated. Any suggestions for sites/YouTube? I live in Canada where we just had a major blizzard!!!so would rather not go out after work for classes! Thanks.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 06:22:55 AM »
Misty,
I have a houseful of guests departing today and tomorrow so will have more time to get specific when I have my life back! What is the name of the video you have.....any prior yoga practice? Rodney Yee has a gentle beginners DVD I think.....but will check out some others for you. Yoga is a wonderful journey.....kudos to you!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 06:26:10 AM »
Vibe,
Are you talking about diatomaceous earth?

VibeRadiant

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:46 AM »
Vibe,
Are you talking about diatomaceous earth?

after more googling, it seems that silica and diatomaceous earth are one and the same. So, yes I am.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »
Is anyone taking Cinnamon? My mom said a friend's daughter was taking it and on a new diet and lost 12lbs in (2) weeks. Mom couldn't remember what diet, but said it sounded similar to Wheat Belly. I asked her if it was Paleo and she said no. I have read in the past that Cinnamon is good for Insulin Resistant & PCOS, of which I am both. I feel like I take so many pills right now, not sure about adding another one. I posted previously in this Thread what I'm currently taking. Would love any feedback if you have or are taking it.

HungryinTN

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
My mother was taking cinnamon as part of an anti-inflammatory protocol before going on the anti-candida diet.  She felt like it was helping her, but she couldn't handle it without the honey, which is a no-no for anti-candida. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »
DH and I took it for a week or so after we got back from Christmas holiday...we both came back really congested. It helps with congestion...helps dry you up, but the instructions are 1 T honey with 1/4 tsp cinnamon. We mix that & add hot water from the tap. So we get off it as quickly as possible because of the honey. Does it come in capsules? I've also read that you need to be careful how much you take. Kids are huffing it for whatever high it gives them, and it can be dangerous.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
Hungry & Deanna, Thank you for your replies. Yes, it comes in capsules and I am astonished to learn that it is being sniffed to get high?!!! Never ever heard this before and I usually try to keep tabs on that since I have incredibly impressionable nieces and nephews. My mom started taking the capsules a few weeks ago herself. I will have to verify with her the mg and how much she's taking. I did get her on the Cat's Claw to help with her joint issues. Still having difficulty convincing her to get on with WB. She's crazy over a bunch of Gluten Free snacks and is a grazer throughout the day, so it makes it worse. Maybe I will stay off the Cinnamon myself for now.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
Google "huffing cinnamon" or the "cinnamon challenge". Actually I think they do a spoonful orally and try to swallow it without liquid. It can damage the lungs. Maybe it's not a high...just the challenge of it???

Graindead

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
5G vitamin C in the morning (powder mixed w/water)
Vitacost Magnesium Malate 2 ea 3x a day (TTL 5G Malic acid/day)
Vitacost D3 (5000 IU ea) 1 morning and 1 after dinner (10000 IU/day)
Vitacost Kelp (660mg ea) 1 morning and 1 after dinner
Jarrow B Rite - 1 early afternoon (great product)
Vitacost Mega EFA- 1200mg EPA/DHA 3x day (3600 TTL)
Vitacost pro-biotic 15-35   2 in the morning (I'm not convinced this is a particularly good product and won't re-order) Ultimate Flora 50B is great, but too much $$. Probably going to drop the probiotic when this is gone.
Vitacost Phytosterol complex with beta-sitosterol (Generic Super Beta Prostate) 3x daily.  This product has done nothing for me.
1 TBSP NOW MCT oil in the morning.

I was taking Himalaya Stress Care, but stopped that. Good product, but felt I didn't need it anymore.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 05:34:41 PM »
I take:
Vit C, 500 mg
Glucosomine
Vit D3
Grade seed extract
Magnesium
Omega fish oil

And I agree...seems it takes awhile to get everything down in the morning.

I have a DVD from Peggy Cappy (PBS) on yoga that I've been wanting to try it.  For us older folks who are stiff!  I haven't tried it yet...

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
  Be careful with vitamin D supplement's in large quantities. My Dr. told me that my vit. D level was low and suggested taking a lg. dose of it daily. If I remember correctly, it was for D3  1000 IU daily. About 6 months into this, I developed a kidney stone, something that I never want to have repeated again.
  This can happen when vit. D is taken. Two months ago, this very same thing happened to my beautician. Not saying this will happen to everyone, but to use caution.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 05:30:54 AM »
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
Www.vitamindsociety.org

These two sites have a lot of good info on vitamin d.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
Thanks for the info on Vit D....It is 1000 units, but I will read up more on it.  My medical intuitive told me I needed it a lot, but that was last spring, I think.  How do you know if you don't need it (or as much) any longer?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
Loanne,

Current research seems to point to a 8-10,000 iu dose as being needed.  This would be for the rest of your life. You should increase your dose slowly when older.  Remember, we don't really eat organ meats any longer and our food is not nearly as nutritious as it was.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »
Some researchers advise vit K2 along with vit D.  I take both, sure hope it helps.  It is supposed to direct the calcium to the proper areas and not arteries and kidneys! 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »
Natto is a good plant source of K2, and butter from grass fed cows is another great source.   Isn't it funny how butter ( and only the grass fed kind has K2), is actually good for the arteries?   Not exactly what we've been told now is it?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »
I'm thinking of starting Vitamin K, but I don't know whether to take K1 or K2. I'll have to be very careful because I take a blood thinner, but I check that weekly, so I figure I can start out very low dose. Anybody have info on K1 vs. K2. Also, anybody know a good brand?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
Thanks Jan.

Also checked out [size=78%]http://chriskresser.com/vitamin-k2-the-missing-nutrient[/size] and this one [/size][size=78%]http://www.thorne.com/products/vitamins/prd~k170.jsp[/size] which warns that: As Vitamin K interferes with the effect of anticoagulant drugs (like Coumadin), the concurrent use of these agents should be avoided.

I'm just not confident enough to try it on my own. I also eat many of the things that contain vitamin K2.
[/size]Foods high in vitamin K2 (this is from the Chris Kessler link)[size=78%]
  • Natto
  • Hard cheese
  • Soft cheese
  • Egg yolk
  • Butter
  • Chicken liver
  • Salami
  • Chicken breast
  • Ground beef

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
You can also get K2 from natto, which is fermented soy with a bacterial culture in it.  ( Just avoid the GMO). 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
My pharmacy was having a half off on the Jamieson brand of supplements, so I stocked up :D . I will be adding magnesium sulphate, potassium, and I'm going back to cod liver oil. I had been taking krill oil (which is more costly) and I found out that the amount of actual krill oil was negligible, so now it is straight up good old fashioned Norwegian cod liver oil.  

I am wondering if there are contra indications for taking some supplements with or apart from others. I will be taking the magnesium before bed with a glass of warm coconut milk. And probably my cod liver oil as well.

How do I find out if some are better on their own or are safe to take with others?

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 03:52:02 AM »
Vibe
I always find that my Naturopath is a good resource. We do need to be careful about taking supplements without guidance, while they are technically not medication it is still something you are putting in your body. Also would caution taking Vit K with blood thinners without advice. Just my humble opinion.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 06:18:51 AM »
I can't vouch for any of these sites, but it may be a good place to start researching drug/supplement interactions/combinations......

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=13668

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2014, 06:18:51 AM »

Sponsored Links