This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 17869 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Supplements
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
Thanks Misty, that's the conclusion I keep coming to.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »
Thanks Jan,  I'll check it out.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
I always find that my Naturopath is a good resource. We do need to be careful about taking supplements without guidance, while they are technically not medication it is still something you are putting in your body. Also would caution taking Vit K with blood thinners without advice. Just my humble opinion.

Totally agree with that.   With supplements you are focusing on one nutrient, which can mess with the ratios of other nutrients.   I personally am not comfortable taking most supplements.   That's why I just stick with digestive enzymes and probiotics.   Supplements can however be helpful, but you really want to talk to an expert. 

HungryinTN

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »
I'm starting to think it might be time for me to cool it on the supplements.  Without insurance or money to go to a doctor, frankly I've been guessing which nutrients I was probably most deficient in as a result of my vegetarian lifestyle and have been supplementing for several months now (based on extensive research).  But after taking therapeutic doses for several months on top of changing my dietary habits, I wonder if I can just let most of them run out and stop spending my precious $ on pills. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
Hungry,
Health fairs often have free testing services for a variety of conditions....we have one next month that has expanded the offerings to include bone density tests, along with a long list of specific blood tests. You might check around in your area. There is also an online lab (Labcorp) where you can send off for specific testing and it's much less expensive.....but you would probably have to have the blood draw done at the campus infirmary.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
Hope all of you have looked at the ingredients on the labels of whatever you are taking. I just looked at the NM Multi For Her 50+ vitamins. This one has corn starch & maltodextrin in it. The corn starch might be the "glue" to form the tablets, but why the sugar? That, most of us can do without.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
Discovered recently that my Nature Made Multi For Her 50+ with D3 has corn starch in it (second ingredient). Bought this before even thinking of going WF.

Geez, Louise, we sure have to be vigilant & really read labels!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »
Yup.  Everything needs to be carefully scrutinized.  We need to be concerned about what the animals we eat, eats.  Where they grow is important too, like avoiding shrimp from Asian countries and farmed fish from anywhere.  We need to scrutinize everything we eat.  We have to check our water.  We need to check the skin creams and makeup. Even fabrics need to be checked for toxic coatings that smell and will touch our skin. 

It will make you very angry that everything contains highly suspect ingredients, additives and chemicals.  Lots of the vitamins contain soy and wheat.  Even canned tuna in water has a soy vegetable broth added!  You start thinking that you need to shop using a magnifying glass!                                                                                                                                                                   

Eventually, you get to know what to buy, where to buy it and how to adjust your expenses to meet your new parameters of "quality".   For example, I purchased every kind of non-sucrose sweetener as a trial.  Stevia tastes different depending on the manufacturer.  Splenda is not the best sweetener to use, neither is Truvia.  I purchased Xylitol, Swerve and Wheat Free Market Foods sweetener.  Tagalose too.  I'm learning that the Now brand stevia glycerite tastes better in coffee to me.  I'm using up the sweeteners when I bake things or make ice-cream.  Honeyville has periodic sales on their almond flour.  Coconut flour is used sparingly so a small container lasts a long time. 

The really nice thing about this blog is that we discuss products and where to get them or what recipes to use to make them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:43:59 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »

Sponsored Links