This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!!  (Read 3316 times)

Lila

• View Profile
Happy Thanksgiving!!
« on: November 28, 2013, 07:01:53 AM »
Know that I will be thinking of you and giving thanks for you as we eat our first totally wheat-free Thanksgiving dinner!!

Lila

• View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:02:57 AM »
I should also say sugar-free, too!

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 07:28:17 AM »
And I will be sitting in front my computer all day, so if anyone has a freak out, know that you have some support waiting!   :)  I'm skipping Thanksgiving to write papers, but I have pork chops, broccoli, and sweet potatoes waiting when I'm ready to take a supper break. 

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »
And I will be sitting in front my computer all day, so if anyone has a freak out, know that you have some support waiting!   :)  I'm skipping Thanksgiving to write papers, but I have pork chops, broccoli, and sweet potatoes waiting when I'm ready to take a supper break.

Sounds good to me! Never have been a big fan of turkey, chicken is juicier and more tender and versatile. I am going to check into non-CAFO pork chops via the Iowa Food Coop.......................

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
I am all psyched for my first grain-free, sugar-free, dairy-free Thanksgiving! I am going it alone and having dinner with my daughter's family, but am well prepared, and very stubborn! I will be having their prepared turkey, if it has not been poisoned, and veggies. I made my own cranberry sauce with a bit of honey, and a pumpkin pie with an almond meal crust and a Paleo filling. It smells yummy. I bet I will have to share!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
A blessed Thanksgiving Day to the wonderful people on the Forum and your families!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all on this forum.  I'm thankful for all of you.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »
Change in plans for us. We will be going to my uncle's home late afternoon for Thanksgiving dinner (will include his wife, my two cousins and one second cousin). We're taking a WB cheesecake, stuffed mushrooms and a veggie tray. They will be preparing their usual Thanksgiving fare. We'll probably eat their turkey and mashed potatoes...probably no casseroles because they'll probably have cream soups in them and the sweet potatoes will be too sweet w/ all the added stuff. But we'll have plenty of wheat free, and the only high carb I anticipate is mashed potatoes. I'm thankful to have some family to be with. I'm a little tearful today because I'm missing my parents and brothers...I'm the only one left of my birth family. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be blessed.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »
Yes... Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »
Deanna~I'm sorry to hear that you had anything at all to feel sad about :( But I'm glad you did have family to share your day with. I hope you had a good time and enjoyed the food and the fellowship with your aunt, uncle and cousins.

We went to dd's for dinner like we have for the last 14 years. She cooked up her usual traditional feast but dh and I only partook of a small bit of it. We had some of her turkey and I had a tiny dollop of mashed potatoes and some green beans. She was kind enough to lend me her stove so I could prepare my own turkey gravy and I had made up a small batch of my own dressing. I used Dr. D's plain biscuit recipe to use as the bread and then added the other things that I always use to make dressing...butter, veggies, and spices. It was delicious! I also baked a small sweet potato to share with dh and my dd who is also doing wheat belly. Got a few extra carbs there, but only had about a quarter cup's worth of the potato so not too bad. I wasn't tempted by the desserts and that felt so good after years of being a slave to my sweet tooth. I had a cup of coffee instead.

I didn't suffer the usual fatigue and bloated feeling that I have in the past and woke up feeling well and energetic this morning. While everyone else was crashing on the couch after eating, I felt energized and happy! What a difference this has made and I was very thankful for what the changes in diet have done for me this year.

I'm also thankful for this forum and all of you who so generously give of your time and education. It's been a real help in the last few months!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »
I was grateful yesterday to spend the day among a family of under 40's that have heard the wheat message.  They haven't eliminated it yet but have cut way back due to BP and chol issues.  I was just happy the messege is getting out and trickling down to the younger folks and their children.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 11:54:14 AM »
Good afternoon and Happy Thanksgiving! Hoping you all are having a great relaxing holiday with family and friends and maybe some good shopping, too!

I had dinner with my family yesterday and was able to stay on target by bringing my own Coconut flour biscuit and sticking to Turkey and veggies. For dessert, my mom had some fantastic Gluten free Chocolate chip cookies on hand and my Aunt, who is Celiac, made a way too sugary Gluten free Apple streusel like cake. I tried it, but it is nothing I would make for myself. I am so thrilled I could stay on plan, feel good physically and not need a nap!  I had lots of great energy to play Board games with my nieces and nephews.

I also wanted to report in and say that the Colostrum is definitely working! I had an awesome stress-free digestion day yesterday! It was so nice to not worry about maybe having to rush off out of the blue to find the bathroom. Thanks again to Barbara for the Colostrum info! I am taking 2 tablets 3x daily on an empty stomach to start and will drop back to 2 Tablet 2x day in a couple of weeks. I have read various recommendations for how much you should take. Both Chris Kessler & Dr. Hyman gad good info in their sites. Even ground some info on a few Health Forums around the web.

Have a great Weekend!

*Gluten Free Chocolate chip cookies are from Tate's Bake shop. Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, on Food Network has mentioned them on her show. I don't know if Whole Foods carries them. Mom got them at a place called the Fresh Market. I don't know if they are located any place outside if Georgia & Florida. I have been to ours here in Atlanta and in Naples, Fl. 

**Coconut flour biscuit recipe came from wellnessmama.com Search for coconut flour biscuit on her site. I don't typically add the Honey. I use a Cookie scoop and get (4) decent size biscuits out of it. My Aunt tried them and loved them and mom who refuses to do WB also loved them.

-Bailey

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
Scrupulous,

You are very welcome!  This colostrum really is terrific isn't it? [size=78%] [/size]
This is really making a difference in the way I feel.  Much more stamina and ability to focus on whatever I need to do.  I worked my way up to 6 pills (2 @ 3x) and the course is supposed to be about 6 weeks and then you can drop off to a maintenance dose if desired.  Today is the 8th day for me.

This is also supposed to help diminish wrinkles that formed with the weight loss.  There is a skin cream available, but haven't ordered it yet.  This also nourishes your skin as well as resetting your immune system.  Astonishing that something so inexpensive and known about for years has been kept hidden.

Thanks for the biscuit web site.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »
Our turkey breast turned out scrumptious!  My dressing was only OK and I was so terrified of having a slimy mess with the xanthan gum, the gravy was thinner than I like (but tasty--probably about the same consistency as the Publix thanksgiving commercial gravy looks, LOL).  It is hard to mess up frozen green beans, so all in all our meal was excellent.  Repeat tonight.

A big hit with dh was the pecan pie (Gourmet Girl's recipe).  I found it too sweet for my taste (used Swerve), but he has been missing sweets so much that he is really enjoying it.  I got in to the pumpkin pie (crustless), also GG's recipe.  I made 4 crustless tarts (used one small can of pumpkin) each topped with 4 pecan halves. I used less Swerve than her recipe called for.  I am very much enjoying it!  DH is getting the pecan pie and I'm eating the pumpkin, half a tart at a time.

I did drink too much wine, though, and not enough water so I've got to fix that!

Back in ketosis in a couple of days, I hope!

I have avoided the stores today, except for online and still enjoying the weekend with DH and the DKs (dear kitties) in the mountains!  Back to the real world on Sunday.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 01:18:41 PM »

Sponsored Links