This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Veggie  (Read 3991 times)

Debi

• View Profile
Veggie
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
I am new to all this and I have been reading the book but I don't like a lot of veggie so does that mean this will not work for me?  I have been wheat free for one week but from reading a lot of the other post I find plenty of things that I have done wrong so that could be why I only lost 1 pounds this week.  But I am just not a big vegtable eater any suggestions?

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Re: Veggie
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
Hi Debi,
I think it could work if you substituted some low glycemic fruits for vegetables. However, I'm willing to bet that if you experimented with preparing vegetables in different ways, you might like them. Have you tried mashed cauliflower, steamed fresh broccoli with a bit of real butter, roasted brussels sprouts, roasted beets, steamed green beans, etc.? The WBC has lots of recipes, and you'll find many more at Paleo/primal websites.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »
Here's the options on the meal plan in a nutshell:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/12/wheat-belly-quick-dirty-2/

Debi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:28:44 AM »
Thank you Joan and Rita....Joan I will give your suggestion a try who knows maybe there is a veggie out there that I can really like beside salad greens.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »
I've read quite a few posts where people have experienced that once wheat-free your taste buds change (maybe become more sensitive?) and you LOVE veggies. I like veggies anyway, but I experienced this. I would say, for instance, "this is the best broccoli I've ever eaten!!" We like veggies roasted too. For example, cover cookie sheet with aluminum foil, spread out yellow squash, onions, drizzle with lots of butter, salt and pepper. Cook them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. I do this with turnips, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes (occasionally), etc. some are better with butter and some are better with coconut oil. Sometimes I use olive oil even tho it's best not to use it at high temps. Good luck!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
Ohhhh, and butternut squash, which I had never eaten before...so good roasted with butter!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
I've read quite a few posts where people have experienced that once wheat-free your taste buds change (maybe become more sensitive?) and you LOVE veggies.

I've experienced this as well deanna. I didn't use to hate veggies per se, but seemed to always pick more of the meats, and pastas (and other grain-based foods), gravies, sauces, and potatoes to fill me up. I took the "token" veggies (often from a can) to make myself feel good about what I was eating  :-[ But that has changed drastically. Already, I'd rather eat fresh veggies, less meat, and less of the starchier veggies like potatoes. I made a minestrone last night that I thought would be an epic fail, but it was delicious! And it was all green veggies like kale, swiss chard, fresh green beans, celery, etc. I'd never even eaten kale or chard so I was sticking my nose up at it as it was cooking, but thoroughly enjoyed every single bite once I gave it a try.

Love what you do with your veggies. I've roasted them on the grill a few times but never tried them in the oven with butter or coconut oil. Will give that a try.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »

I made a minestrone last night that I thought would be an epic fail, but it was delicious! And it was all green veggies like kale, swiss chard, fresh green beans, celery, etc. I'd never even eaten kale or chard so I was sticking my nose up at it as it was cooking, but thoroughly enjoyed every single bite once I gave it a try.

Love what you do with your veggies.

I made soup yesterday w/ ground beef, chicken broth, beef broth and lots of veggies. It was delicious! Re roasted veggies, I prefer them that way now. I prefer to cook in the oven anyway, not stovetop, but I hate baking. I had never had kale either before, but we LOVE it. Still have not had chard.

If anyone has good recipes with eggplant, I would love to have them...one of my favorites!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:09:12 PM by Rita »

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
Also, if you really, really don't like veggies, you can "sneak" a bunch of veggies in things like meatballs, meatloaf, soup, etc. A book called Saved by Soup has lots of wonderful, vegetable-filled recipes like Roasted Beet Borscht (not necessary all wheat free, however).

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:20:04 AM »
Deanna, I made the eggplant Parmesan in WBC but tweaked it a little.  Didn't coat the eggplant with anything, just sautéed it in coconut oil. (I also always soak the eggplant in milk for an hour or so beforehand and let drain for an hour as well). In my sauce, I add veggies and also ground pastured beef and I use whole milk mozzarella with the Parmesan cheese. With a little side salad.....it keeps me full all day and it's a great leftover option....and freezes well too!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »
Thanks Jan, I made an eggplant lasagna about a year ago and I thought it was delicious. Fry eggplant like you did yours. Then layer eggplant, spaghetti sauce, then cheese. Repeat layers till all eggplant is used. I made an easy  spaghetti sauce with ground beef, onions, garlic, salt & pepper, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and rosemary. I think I need to make this again.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »

Sponsored Links