This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 3477 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Salt
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: Salt
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »
Great article, Deanna.  I know salt doesn't seem to bother me but I didn't know it did all those things.  I feel better about picking up the shaker.  My dr. is rabid about salt.  I had to do a journal on my BP to convince him.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:07:31 PM »
Good article deanna. Thanks for posting the link. I've been using Real Salt for a long time. Love the stuff!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
Thanks again, Deanna, for the link.  I reread just to absorb the different points, putting it in my memory.  It made sense because Sodium is a mineral (electrolyte), so it would do all those things, just never really thought about it in depth before.
Arlin, you said you use RealSalt?  Have you used the Celtic?  I am wondering if there is a taste difference.  My DH wants things to 'taste good', translation: like the commercial brand.  Right now I use the Morton Lite Blend but realise it's probably not my best choice.  I would like something to put on eggs, etc, in the morning especially.  Anyone done a taste test?

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »
Lynda,

No, I haven't tried any other salt besides the Real Salt. It tastes really good although it's not as salty as say Morton. We love it though and use it liberally. You can see the minerals in it. I may have to try the Celtic sometime though. Love to try new things.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »
Lynda,

In my experience, sea salt, himalayan salt, celtic salt and any of those are excellent for everyday use.  The taste is subtle, not harsh like regular salt.  I have used Morton's Sea Salt (from Spain, yellow container) but the grind is just a bit too course for my salt shaker.
I use it for cooking when I have to measure it.  Any of the other salts are good. Some of the salts come in their own grinder, but I never bought them.  Of course, I could just regrind the Mortons salt a bit, but laziness rules.

I really like the mild, yet salty taste that enhances the dish rather than overwhelming it with saltiness.  Note that iodine is not added like it is in table salt.  I take iodine tablets like Dr.D. recommends so this is not an issue.  Also, if there are special recipes for using kosher salt, which is a very course grind (large flakes) the sea salt produces the same results, just make sure you apply it in the same manner. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:50:38 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »
We use sea salt, generally from Whole Foods, and if they have it, I get the less refined one...kind of brown with specs in it.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
The Real Salt is like that too deanna. Lots of mineral specks. Not as strong as table salt either. But very tasty.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »
Lynda,

FWIW, before WB, if I ate too much salt, my ankles would swell and my feet ache.  Restaurant food often did this especially when potatoes were served with the meal (not fast food either!).  Not now.  i am much better able to tolerate the salt even if I do eat the same size (1/2 cup) of potatoes.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:42:32 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 07:02:02 AM »
Thanks everybody.  Looks like I'm going to branch out and try a few of the different salts.  I once tried French Grey and, yes, it was grey!  Also mild, like you've mentioned, but tasty.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
Here's a really good article on salt:

http://ntischool.com/2014/01/salt-salt/

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
When I started the Water Cure I need unrefined sea salt. I got a small bottle of Celtic Salt at Whole foods for $18. I got a pound of the same Celtic salt at Swanson Vitamins for $4.50! Since the Water Cure I've been able to lose my Diovan 360/25. Blood pressure is still good. Amazingly Drs give us diuretics in high blood pressure medication.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:11:35 AM »
I put a tiny pinch of real salt in my water, especially before bed.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 05:11:35 AM »

Sponsored Links