This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 16100 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Weather
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
Is everyone ok? Here in south Arkansas we've so far just had rain. Now it is beginning to freeze. Tonight is date night out...probably should have gone last night!

Linda R

Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »
Fine here in Iowa but bitterly cold.
I hear we're getting snow on Sunday, but not a lot of accumulation.

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »
We're having similar weather to AR in TN.  It's chilly and dreary and wet.  Perfect for a three-day paper-writing marathon!  (Thank goodness Wednesday was my market pick-up and I'm stocked up on pork chops and arugula to weather the "storm"!)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
I have a huge pot of chili on!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
I have a huge pot of chili on!
That's what we had at dd's tonight. Along with some of Dr. D's biscuits and some of his little chocolate cookies for dessert.

We got a little ice, some sleet, then 8" of snow out of Cleon up here in NW Arkansas but we felt the  need to take a chance and get out of the house. DD only lives three miles from us and it's a straight shot so we gave it a try. Roads up here are a nightmare, but there was hardly any traffic on the roads so we did fine and dh is a great winter driver. I trust him :) Had fun eating good food and playing some board games. :)

Hope you don't wind up with icy roads deanna!! Stay safe.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 04:19:21 AM »
Here in Vermont we have had some rain but no serious snowfall. I have no clue what is coming, but I can guess.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »
I can't believe this storm is missing NW Lower Peninsula of MI, usually it comes straight at us. But very cold & about 6" of snow on the ground. Stay safe & warm all my WB friends.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »
The weather in Ottawa Canada is brisk, bright beautiful blue sky and sunshine. When we get hit, boy are we gonna suffer!

HungryinTN

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Ice storm predicted for tonight.  Not much but enough to mess things up pretty badly in a land without road salt.  And the boyfriend has a gig in another town.  Ugh. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
Lin, our roads were fine last night and we did go out for date night...thoroughly enjoyed it. And We still have our big old pot of chili for today...and tomorrow...and...

Our roads seem fine today, we still have some ice on trees and on our back deck. Supposed to get more rain later, so that means more ice. Stay safe everyone!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »
Unseasonable cold in here in Texas too. We put on a pot of the cabbage soup that someone posted the other day. Yum. We're inside. Glad we like each other!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
Glad we like each other!

LOL Yep, that helps!!  ;D

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
It's been freezing cold here the last 4 days. 15 below, 7 below...  Brrr!

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »
We got about 6 inches of snow over the weekend and are supposed to get another inch or so tonight.  Needless to say, I am NOT happy.  It's not even winter yet.  Boo!  >:(
~Teresa

VibeRadiant

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 07:56:38 AM »
Snow and rain falling now in Ottawa.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:55 AM »
We're supposed to get some more snow tonight. Not much...they're saying an inch, but the roads are still a mess from the last storm. Our road crews have not been on the ball this year. We've had a lot more snow than this in the past and had the roads cleared much sooner. People are starting to get impatient and now more is on the way. Let's hope it just passes us by!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »
You guys aren't making my trip north for the holidays sound appealing at all!  8)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
Jan,

The weather is supposed to be really cold and miserable in the mid-west.  A bit milder here near the coast in NJ.  It is dark, gloomy, raw 38* F and raining.  We didn't get much snow accumulation, a nice thick coat of black ice instead.  Other bloggers have it much worse!  Sure you want to leave Key West?[size=78%]  [/size]

Linda R

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
Jan,

The weather is supposed to be really cold and miserable in the mid-west.  A bit milder here near the coast in NJ.  It is dark, gloomy, raw 38* F and raining.  We didn't get much snow accumulation, a nice thick coat of black ice instead.  Other bloggers have it much worse!  Sure you want to leave Key West?[size=78%]  [/size]

Yep, it is a balmy 7 degrees here in a suburb of Des Moines! Just removed several inches of powdered snow from deck and steps. Could be worse.
Supposed to be cold all week. Crap!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »
34 in S. AR, low of 25 tonight

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »
Jan,

We'd MUCH prefer staying down here in our flip-flops in 80 degree weather but we could probably buy a small country for what it would cost to bring our combined children/spouses/grandchildren here and house/feed/entertain for a week.....so it's more economical to shiver for a week!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »
Rain, rain, raining...will soon be freezing here. And we are quite mild compared to many of you.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
Rain, rain, raining...will soon be freezing here. And we are quite mild compared to many of you.
At least up here we got more snow and not sleet or ice. I was afraid that might happen and the roads are still bad enough as it is! But it looks like it's over for awhile and we'll have a bit of a warm up. Was supposed to be freezing rain on Friday but now they're just calling for showers. Whoohoo!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
We had 9 straight days of measurable rain. The sun came out this afternoon but it is cold.

HungryinTN

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
We had an ice "storm" last night/this morning.  When I went to leave for work my car was frozen shut, so I decided to walk.  Apparently they thawed out quickly, because sometime shortly thereafter, someone broke into it!   >:(

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
O.M.G......I really am a weather wimp! Arrived north last night and it's 14 degrees which should be illegal!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »
Here in Idaho, it's warmed up to the low 40s during the day, but low 20s at night.  Expecting some snow (not a lot) tonight and tomorrow.  We've had several mild winters in the past few years, but had a real cold snap (teens and negatives) a couple of weeks ago that lasted way too long!  Made me feel like I was in the Arctic!

HungryinTN

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
Speaking of cold, it's supposed to be in the single digits here in Middle Tennessee on Monday!  Yeesh!  Sure do wish I had some fresh bone broth to make some soup!

Linda R

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:36 AM »
Gotcha beat....................

Possible wind chills of -35  to -50 here in Iowa, Sunday through Tuesday.

WTH am I doing here?

HungryinTN

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:36 AM »
I know!  It's awful!  Everybody's getting hit with it!  Being in Tennessee is extra treacherous because we are SO unprepared for this kind of weather.  At least where my parents are it's staying in the 30s.  I want to go back!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »
On the flip side of the coin, I have a houseful of stranded travelers....and they may be here for days!

HungryinTN

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:31 AM »
Yikes!  BTW, can any of y'all "yankees" tell me what to do about the pipes?  Do I need to drip all of the faucets or just one?  Should I go downstairs and turn on the faucets in my neighbors' apartment who are out of town right now?  We're expecting a high of 9 and a low of 1 tomorrow now...

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:50 AM »
Hungry,

Yes, turn on the faucets to a very, very slow drip.  As long as the water is moving, you should not have a problem.  If you do, then use your hair drier and have it heat up the exposed pipes.  Start in the coldest place where it is most likely to freeze, such as in the basement or where the water main enters the house.  Also, leave your cabinet doors open so the pipes get room temperature air exposure.  Make sure that your neighbors heat is on at least 60*, the higher the better during the cold snap.

If in doubt, then at least wrap any exposed pipe in anything, from towels to clothing. 

HungryinTN

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »
Thanks!  Luckily the whole house is on one heater and they left it set to about 70 when they left, so that shouldn't be an issue.  The basement is a 160 year old root cellar and the temperature stays pretty steady no matter what it's like outside.  We have an outdoor cat who lives down there when the temps drop below freezing.  I have no idea where the water main enters the house but maybe I'll just drip their kitchen faucet. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
Hungry,

Check the root cellar for water pipes.  Can be galvanized (grey steel color) or copper.  If the pipe is not underground, but exposed outside of the house, then wrap it up in old towels or blankets.  Anything!  Your clue to tracing a pipe is to go to the lowest level and then estimate where the kitchen or bathroom sink is, then look at the direction it comes from and follow to the outside.  Municipal water would have a meter.  Well water would have a small pump and possibly be in the root cellar.  Not hard to do and sure beats not having water plus the mess of a burst pipe. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Cold in the ATL tonight!!  Brrr...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 05:17:32 AM »
With the polar freeze in the Midwest......our houseguests technically got snowed out of all northern airports and stayed an additional 5 days. Whew! The upside is that my celiac DIL (who has a masters in nutritional science and is sadly not totally on board with WB) read my copy of Denise Minger's "Death by Food Pyramid".....had a few 'aha' moments and asked to take the book home.....and we had many wonderful yoga classes together so all is good!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
Jan did you feel the earthquake? We read about it in today's paper.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »
Lila,
Yes, we did......we were at the movies and thought someone had hit the building.....but only lasted a short time!

Linda R

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
It is 45 fricken degrees here, Des Moines suburbs!!!!!
Awesome!
A January thaw!
Just stocked up on necessities like tp and cat food.  [with two inside cats and one outside stray, I NEVER want to run out of cat food!]
Last Sunday night it was -30 to -50 across Iowa!!!!
What a difference a week makes.

BTW I actually found organic coffee beans at WalMart, gonna give it a taste.

HungryinTN

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »
It's almost 60 today here in Tennessee!  I am ready to break out of this dungeon I call and office and celebrate! 

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
  Live in the Midwest, & I'm freezing! Schools are closed, and the wind chill temps are supposed to reach -35 in some areas. We've had all of the faucets on slow drip for over a week now with some cabinet doors open. There is a heater in the bathroom for the sinks as well.
  And now we have to worry about the propane situation. Our supplier is limiting only 250 gallons per customer, and of course, the price has gone through the roof!
  And this is only January!

Linda R

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 06:48:05 AM »
Wow, you must live nearby, I'm in the greater Des Moines area, and I SO agree with you. I have had my taps on slow drip as well during the night, so far, so good.
My poor furnace just runs and runs and runs. Fortunately, I am on a Budget Billing plan so I pay the same amount month in and month out, but I am sure that is going to change, and will go sky high!
I'm wearing long underwear along with my regular clothing so that I can keep my thermostat at a reasonable setting.
I'm sick of this!

But I also dread spring due to tornadoes!!!

HungryinTN

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »
We're all the way up to a balmy 15 here with a wind chill of 0.  I have a meeting scheduled at noon in my office, which is basically a porch enclosed with particle board.  Awesome. 

I guess it's one good thing about having just lost a bunch of weight, though - I can wear loads of layers under all of my old jeans!

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
It's a very chilly 25 here in North Idaho this morning...not so bad compared to the other half of the country, however.  We haven't had much for snow or precipitation at all this winter, and the snow pack is way down.  I'm cold a lot now, I notice, having shed 81 lbs.  Wearing lots more layers...And yes, my heater just keeps going, too.  NOT on the budget, however.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
2.5 inches of snow here south of ATL. Still coming down.

University dismissed classes at noon and I doubt we will have classes tomorrow. Going down to 15 tonight. Brrr.

HungryinTN

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »
In Birmingham apparently even the grocery stores closed!  My sister said people were just abandoning their cars.  No salt for roads in the South, and that makes for dangerous conditions even with just a "dusting"!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »
No way I'm going anywhere--someone abandoned their car in my driveway. The county road in front of my house goes up/down a hill and it is not passable.

Campus closed tomorrow, though.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
It was 10 when we got up this morning.

HungryinTN

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
A friend of mine is among the teachers still stranded with students at schools in the Birmingham metropolitan area.  I'm slightly jealous of the snow, but so glad not to be stranded anywhere!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »

Sponsored Links