This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Make sure you have healthy protein and good fats in the house  (Read 4427 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
I find that I'm not hungry at all if I am well stocked with healthy proteins and good fats.

I stick a tablespoon of coconut oil in a meal whenever the opportunity presents itself.

1Rockyroad

• View Profile
Re: Make sure you have healthy protein and good fats in the house
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
I find that I'm putting hwc in way too many things! I would never have dreamed of doing this in the past.  When I think of all the years I spent drinking skim milk I just want to bop myself!

lwbarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:06:08 AM »
What is hwc?

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 08:29:13 AM »
Coconut cream over here as well, also more avocado's and olive oil than I used to.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
I've taken Mel Joulwan's (Well Fed cookbook) suggestions seriously - cook or partially-cook some foods in advance to make meals faster and easier to prepare.  Nearly every week now I precook ground meat (usually grassfed beef or organic turkey thigh meat) using her recipe (sauté in coconut oil or other fat: diced onions, season with garlic powder, salt & pepper) and then store it in a tight container in the fridge.  During the week it's super easy to prepare a main dish - just sauté up some more onions, add other vegetables, seasonings and/or sauce, and during the last few minutes, add the pre-cooked meat, heat through and it's ready.

For example, I use this method to prepare (a) Italian meals (onions, mushrooms, chopped kale or spinach, minced garlic, sliced zucchini and tomato sauce, enhanced by an Italian seasoning mix or Mel's Italian sausage spice mix), or (b) Mexican (onions, bell peppers, garlic, salsa; top finished result w/shredded cheese and/or scallions).

A favorite combination for me is to use the precooked ground turkey, but instead of vegetables, to sauté a diced (half) tart apple (such as a granny smith) in ghee or coconut oil for a few minutes, then add ground nutmeg & cinnamon to the apple, sauté a minute or two, add the precooked turkey and stir until it's all heated through.  This is a great breakfast - sometimes I'll served a fried egg on the side.

The same thing applies to pre-cooking (boneless, skinless) chicken thighs - they are seasoned (S&P, garlic powder) and can be baked, grilled or barbecued (our preference), then used in many recipes later.

I've also prepared 'paleo' meatballs in advance - baking them either fully or nearly all the way, then adding them to an Italian sauté w/tomato sauce and a lot of vegetables; or I've heated them up in a vegetable soup, etc....

There are many, many variations to the very few ideas I have here.  I highly recommend both Mel's book ("Well Fed: paleo recipes for people who like to eat", as well as the Whole30 'bible', "It Starts with Food" (M. & D. Hartwig).  Everything in both books is grain free.  Both books have been a tremendous help to me since I run a full time business with little time to prepare meals.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
lwbarbara, hwc = heavy whipping cream

I have the Well Fed cookbook and also highly recommend it!

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
I'm bad about buying huge quantities of vegetables, and we're just two little bitty people.  If I pick up the large container of mushrooms I slice and sauté them in olive oil (with garlic and sometimes onions).  Break them down into portion sizes and into the freezer they go.  Great for making omelets quickly or adding to either soups or homemade marinara sauce.  Same with peppers and other veggies to prepare quick meals.  At the end of the week, they all go into a soup or stew.  Oh, and premade meatballs broken down into 'dinner for two' portions have saved me many a night from just having the same ol' thing.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
Hm. I typed out a reply and have no idea where it went! I found out when I hit "post" that I was suddenly logged out. Oh well...

Thank you for your book suggestions HS4. I'll be taking a good look at both of them. The more access I have to grain-free cooking recipes the better.

I use primarily coconut oil. I also use olive oil when I think the dish I'm making calls for it. I still use butter, but not nearly as much as I used to. I used to slather it on everything. For me, less is more in this case.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I buy at least 5-6# of hamburger meat at a time. One # goes for a meatloaf right away. Then I brown the rest with onions, garlic, sea salt and pepper (and coconut oil if needed). Then I freeze it in 1# portions, so I always have something I can make a quick meal from...taco salad, soup, spaghetti sauce, chili, stir fry.

I buy groceries every 2 weeks.  When I'm getting down to the end, I sauté the veggies that are left for scrambled eggs, a frittata, or whatever. I always keep some frozen veggies for the end when my fresh veggies are low...like frozen asparagus, broccoli, etc. I only buy frozen veggies with one ingredient: the veggie.

We always eat the things that don't last long first (spinach, grape tomatoes) and we eat a lot of raw veggies at the beginning ( broccoli, cauli, radishes, carrots, celery)...makes for easy lunches with leftover meat. Occasionally we have to make an in-between run for a veggie or two, but not usually. I buy 1 banana, a tangerine or two, maybe a cantaloupe. We eat these first...a half banana for each of us, or a half of tangerine, maybe 4-5 strawberries, a few bite- size pieces of cantaloupe). When these are gone, we'll have a half a small apple each. I also keep washed, frozen grapes, so if we're out of fresh fruit, we'll eat a few grapes.

We use lots of coconut oil, butter, coconut milk, olives, avocados, nuts.

I roast a lot of my veggies, yellow squash, turnips, asparagus, broccoli, carrots. Cover cookie sheet with aluminum foil, spread out veggies, drizzle with butter or olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Roast @ 400 degrees for 30 minutes. We like brussels sprouts better cooked on top of stove with onions, garlic, sea salt, pepper and olive oil.

I have not resolved root veggies. We do eat turnips, radishes, onions, carrots. We also eat parched peanuts, a legume.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone is posting!

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:46:22 AM »
I really like all of these ideas--thanks!

Planning ahead, I've found, is essential. No quick meal options in the freezer = dietary disaster. Getting better at this.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »
Deanna, what's in your meatloaf recipe? Meatloaf (traditional) is one thing I miss on WB. I could go for a nice wheat free one.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 06:09:23 AM »
Randal, I'm posting it right now under Recipes. It came from Easy Paleo. I'm sure I tweaked it some. Hope you like it.

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,325.0/topicseen.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:44:41 AM by Rita »

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:10:03 AM »
For many years I have cooked about 1.5kg (3 pounds) of meat/poultry at a time, and freeze what I don't eat in 100gm (4 ounce) containers -labeled in bags. When I think about dinner - I take out one of the frozen meat containers, and reheat along with the green veg or cauliflower etc.

My treat is frozen prawns - I buy 1 kg (about 2 pounds) at a time, and take out what I want. Often it's a sort-of Thai or Vietnamese concoction.

Macadamia oil is reasonably priced here (Australia), so I tend to use it more than coconut oil.

Generally, I buy 4 chops, or 3 pieces of salmon and freeze the extras.

Sometimes I flavor oils with homegrown herbs - and use these on chops, fish or steak.

In my online diabetes groups we have a saying "Never eat a naked carb" - which means always have protein with a carb. - so I eat hard cheese, with olives or, salsa, or anchovies, or cucumber, celery, tomato etc.

Never a dull moment in my kitchen!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:07:41 AM »
Your kitchen sounds like a lot of fun Bea! :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:07:41 AM »

Sponsored Links