This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Cheat Days - Birthdays, Special Occassions  (Read 11210 times)

gurliestgirl

• Ashley's Wheat Free Journey
    • View Profile
Cheat Days - Birthdays, Special Occassions
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
I am new to this blog and I am new to this lifestyle, day four. I am wondering HONESTLY if anyone ever has cheat days, like what do you do on very special events? I just would like to know as my birthday is coming up, and the wheat free cake, yeah, no one is willing to go for that. I could have ice cream cake, but there'll be wheat in that too I'm sure.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Cheat Days - Birthdays, Special Occassions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »
I am new to this blog and I am new to this lifestyle, day four. I am wondering HONESTLY if anyone ever has cheat days, like what do you do on very special events? I just would like to know as my birthday is coming up, and the wheat free cake, yeah, no one is willing to go for that. I could have ice cream cake, but there'll be wheat in that too I'm sure.

For birthdays we make Wheat Belly cheesecakes...delicious. We never cheat with wheat.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51:19 AM »
There's so many alternatives to wheat.   I think if I were to cheat, I'd just do one of the replacement carbs, or find a gluten free cake or so.

But, I think there are actually so many alternatives to the wheat as well as the other replacement carbs ( that put on weight if you are doing the weight loss portion )

What I like about this is that you eat whenever you want, and once you get used to using some of the good replacement items as you cook, it's quite easy.

gurliestgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
Thanks guys :)
I guess I just have to get used to it and look for wheat free treats. Day four :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
I guess I just have to get used to it and look for wheat free treats. Day four [/size]

You'll find a lot of good options.  Dark chocolate is allowed!  You can even make a chocolate cheesecake.  I'd get the wheat belly cookbook if you don't already have it, as it does help get you on track in the beginning.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
Check out the website Elana's Pantry. She makes gluten-free cupcakes for her kids all the time, and they like them, so they must be good!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
I haven't cheated once since I began this wheatless journey (unless some fed me some in my sleep)....except we ordered the eikorn bread Dr. D talked about and after eating just one piece of toast, I woke up the day and my nose wouldn't quit running!  I thought I was catching a cold but then realized it was the bread.

I think the idea of cheesecake in place of cake is great!  Every now and then I do miss my half of an everything bagel with cream cheese/scallions!  Oh my!  Anyone know of a good bagel recipe?

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
I've never tried this recipe before but other recipes, from Maria Emmerich (especially her 'healthified bread') have turned out very well.  And very tasty.

Wheat free bagels: http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/search?q=bagel&x=19&y=15

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
Maria Emmerich also has quite a few recipes for scrumptious looking baked treats, including cheesecakes and many different 'regular' cakes.  Just type in 'cake' or 'cheesecake' in the search box at her blog site: http://mariahealth.blogspot.com

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
A cheat day is a 1/2 of a baked potato with all the trimmings.  Haven't really gotten into the substitute baked items.  Haven't missed them either.  My last birthday dinner was at a restaurant.  We ordered a plate of petit fours and a bottle of champagne.  Everyone that wanted something sweet could help themselves and I could indulge in the champagne.   8)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 05:50:56 AM »
Thanks HS4......I'll definitely try the bagel recipe!

gurliestgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
You are allowed potatoes though, just not very often. The trimmings never appealled to me so I'm lucky!

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
Check out the website Elana's Pantry. She makes gluten-free cupcakes for her kids all the time, and they like them, so they must be good!
I just love her site, she's the 'kale' queen.  My husband has fallen in love with kale salads - yay!

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »
We've had the occasional cheat item but not something significant like bread, dough, etc.  Some plain chips here and there (veg oil). 

The big one for me is going to be beer.  Haven't had one in 2 months since I decided to test out the effects of WB and when I head off camping this weekend I am going to have a couple just to see how it makes me feel.  I knew this was coming and basically scheduled this cheat event right from day 1.  I'll call it a "test".

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
Thanks HS4......I'll definitely try the bagel recipe!

Have you tried the recipe yet?  Bagel & cream cheese. Oh my!!

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:47:07 AM »
I don't plan cheat days, meals, or treats, but I also don't flip out if I want to take a bite of birthday cake.  Or like my chamber of commerce dinner last night, there was some kind of little dumpling with my chicken so I ate it. It was yummy. Big deal. I wouldn't have eaten a whole bowl of them, and I passed on the bread basket, but I'm not going to stress over a dumpling. 

But I also think the mentality of "how can I give up wheat but not REALLY give up wheat" is pretty much setting yourself up for defeat.  And especially in the beginning, I think cold turkey is the only way to defeat the wheat beast instead of dragging it out by planning to give into the cravings just enough to keep them alive. 

Down the road (at least for me) it's more just dealing with social situations and really doesn't have much to do with cravings or feeling like you're missing out on something because you "can't have" wheat.  You can HAVE anything you want.  It's still a free country (for a minute or two longer anyway, lol.)  But eventually what you want totally changes and it just feels right. It only took about a week or two for it to click with me. Others' experiences may vary of course. 

Hang in there!  It's worth it!

~Teresa

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
So true Teresa. I'm doing great with WF diet even though DH not fully committed. I'm the cook so he eats what I prepare. We had family gathering last weekend & I prepared all the food (except for my son's cream cheese stuffed jalapeņos wrapped in bacon).  Not one of my family members complained about the menu. I did have store bought angel food cake to serve with my homemade strawberry ice cream (for Mom). I had one bite of the cake and scolded myself, not for eating the cake but, for eating something that had no flavor!  I love food & cooking and am enjoying relearning how to cook.
I tend to ramble.

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 06:55:02 AM »
Maria Emmerich's healthified bread is the best I tried.... I coat those little buns  with a lot of sesam seeds before I put them in oven to bake, and they taste a little like a bagel (cut in half and toast them)...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
Annie....are those the same buns that use the psyllium husk powder? I'm using the Yerba Prima brand and my buns came out very dark.....your experience?

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »
Yes, these are the ones with psyllium. Mines turn out just like Maria's. They're beautiful! This the brand of psyllium I use:

http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=247

I'm from Canada, so I don't know if you will find it where you are... But it's worth it to try again for sure! They're damn good and I use them for toasts, sandwiches, hamburgers....

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »
I would be afraid to have a "cheat day."  I was so addicted to sugar prior to WB that it took me a full week or longer to go thru the withdrawals, and it was not nice!  I'm even reluctant to make any of the bread/dessert products because I don't know if I can stop once I taste that sweet.  So...no.  A cheat day is not an option for me.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
Yes, these are the ones with psyllium. Mines turn out just like Maria's. They're beautiful! This the brand of psyllium I use:

http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=247

I'm from Canada, so I don't know if you will find it where you are... But it's worth it to try again for sure! They're damn good and I use them for toasts, sandwiches, hamburgers....

Annie, are you buying it from the website or the same brand in a store?  I've been keeping my eyes open for some and haven't located it in Vancouver...

Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
I buy it in a store here in Montreal. I know several places selling these: health food stores, asian stores, Bulk food store (like Bulk E Barn; they don't sell the Swiss brand but it works well too). I'm pretty sure you can find it somewhere in Vancouver...

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
I think cold turkey is the only way to defeat the wheat beast instead of dragging it out by planning to give into the cravings just enough to keep them alive.

I agree with you on this.  :)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
I physically cannot cheat with wheat; I accidentally got wheated on Sunday and wasn't fully recovered until Wednesday.

But, compared to other diets, every day is a cheat day. I eat a hamburger (without a bun of course) and a steak every day; those are the 2 main courses of 7 of my daily meals.

Otherwise, I cheat with dark chocolate and vodka (potato or corn) on weekends.

BuckeyeGal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
My husband and I have been wheat free for over a year.  If we are going to have a "cheat day" it involves a few extra carbs over our usual careful limit.  There is just no way we could go back to letting wheat into our diet.  For us the bad after effects are just not worth it.  It may be someone's birthday, wedding or anniversary but we are not willing to sacrifice from two to five days after eating something that had wheat in it and feeling lousy for their special event.  Having said that we are so excited to find that the hotel where we will be staying to celebrate the wedding of some very dear friends offers gluten free dishes in their restaurant.   :)

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »
No way for me.  I'm one of those that accidental wheat ingestion sends me right into gastrointestinal hell.  Even break out in a low grade fever too.  Only happened twice since I went wheat free (restaurant).

In a weird sort of way that makes it SUPER easy to be motivated to avoid wheat.  I'm very vigilant about what I consume now.  And I've only been wheat free 6 months (got hit 3 months and 5 months in).

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »

Sponsored Links