This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Animal Fat  (Read 9413 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Animal Fat
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I was looking through the WBCB, and didn't see any information on animal fat.  I went to the glossary and I just found all the other cooking types of fats.

I decided to have breakfast for lunch today, and did something which in my previous pre-WB days would have been a no-go, because I always ate low fat.  I indulged today ( and oh it was so good ).  However, I'm not sure if I was still 'on plan'.

I purchased uncured bacon, that doesn't have any of those synthetic nitrates in it.   It's basically pork belly with a natural cure of celery.   I cooked several pieces in it's own fat and then cooked 2 eggs right on top of that fat!  :o   ( I feel so guilty ).

But...  I'm not sure I was off plan.

What do you guys think?

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Fat
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
I think you're fine.

As I recall from Dr. Davis's "Wheat Belly: Quick and Dirty" post, he says that nitrite-free bacon is OK. It's buried somewhere in the comments, but I can't find it now.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/wheat-belly-quick-and-dirty/

BTW, Dr. Davis mentioned on FB that he's planning a series of conferences across the United States and Canada. Don't you wish we could all go and just pepper the poor guy with questions during a long Q&A session?  :D

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Rita, I do that all the time.....we like to eat breakfast for lunch!  I just add some tomatoes slices, or sautéed spinach, and maybe a slice of avocado. Guilt is no longer a part of your world!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
Guilt is no longer a part of your world!
   Yeahhhh!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:32:24 AM »
Just enjoyed another uncured bacon and egg breakfast for lunch - in pure fat!   ( Now I don't have to feel guilty )

gurliestgirl

• Ashley's Wheat Free Journey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:59:16 AM »
I think you're safe too    :)     ENJOY!

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
How many of you remember your mother cooking eggs in bacon fat?  I do.  I also remember when she hopped on the corn oil/vegetable oil bandwagon.  My grandmother used to make pie crust with lard.  It would melt in your mouth.  About the time the entire country quit using the dreaded dead pig oil they all started gaining weight.  There was nothing like eating your eggs basted in real honest to goodness fat.  I still do my eggs over easy in 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 butter...

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »
I remember Neicee. And we were all well within normal weight when we were young. I still fry my eggs in the bacon fat if that's the way I'm making them, but I dump the bacon fat and use coconut oil if I'm going to scramble them. Mainly because it's a good way to get more coconut oil into my diet as I don't eat any hot cereals etc.

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »
I remember, too, Neicee.  I'm actually saving bacon grease these days, which I quit doing in the late 70s when my dad had his first heart attack.
I also remember McDonald's would cook their french fries in beef tallow. That's what made them the best.  Of course, McDonald's is off my list now for many reasons.
I'm the original wife of Jack Spratt:  he could eat no fat; I could eat no lean.  My ex-husband used to tease me about it.  It's just that I felt guilty before WB, and now I can indulge my desire for chicken skin, meat fat and butter. 

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
Yup, fat.
I say bring it.
I eat lots of fat, every day. I have not gained a pound. I havent lost any ( since my initial 15 lbs) either, but I have lost inches around my middle and clothes fit better. I only need to loose about 6 - 10 more pounds but if it comes off in inches I won't complain. It's like my body is rearranging it's self.
So, yes I save all that precious bacon fat, and cook with lard. I remember my dad telling me that when he was a kid they used beef tallow and bacon fat like butter: on toast on bread in sandwiches etc. YUMMMMMM :)

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:44:10 AM »
Back in the days on the farm...we would have what we called wilted lettuce. We would use the hot bacon drippings over lettuce for a dressing when there was an abundance of greens from the garden. You could really shrink down that lettuce and eat a lot that way!

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:01 AM »
Any time I cook bacon I follow it up with a big handful of mushrooms in the fat and a couple of cups of spinach at the end.  I don't go out of my way to selectively use animal fat for cooking but when it's already in the pan I take advantage of it.

As with anything, variety is the spice of life.  Mix it up and enjoy!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
We had 'wilted lettuce' salads too....I think my mother addd some sugar and vinegar to the bacon fat....delicious! Would also work with stevia....that's how I make my spinach salad dressing.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
I'm having meat more often this week, not lin arger quantities, but just spread out through the week instead of having bigger portions twice a week.
Bacon bits!

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »
At the age of 64 and with barely over a month into the WB way of life, it is certainly hard to get used to feeling free to use fats this way. I baked a chicken two days ago, and have the juices and fat in a jar in my refrigerator, staring back at me! It's a life changer, for sure. I weigh myself everyday to be sure I haven't suddenly become fat. When will I accept that good fat does not make me fat? I even bought one of those hand held body fat calculators by Omron. Still staying slim and low BMI with lots of fats in my diet.

Linda R

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
At the age of 64 and with barely over a month into the WB way of life, it is certainly hard to get used to feeling free to use fats this way. I baked a chicken two days ago, and have the juices and fat in a jar in my refrigerator, staring back at me! It's a life changer, for sure. I weigh myself everyday to be sure I haven't suddenly become fat. When will I accept that good fat does not make me fat? I even bought one of those hand held body fat calculators by Omron. Still staying slim and low BMI with lots of fats in my diet.

I understand how you feel so well..............

When I first began the LCHF WOE, back in July of 2008, and I put real heavy cream in my coffee for the 1st time and took a sip, it blew me away, but I also felt so guilty, as though the "low fat SS" were going to bang on my door any second. As you can imagine, I had been using non-fat dry milk in my coffee for YEARS. Then on to consuming a whole avocado! Ecstasy!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
I baked a chicken two days ago, and have the juices and fat in a jar in my refrigerator, staring back at me!

I TOTALLY understand that one.   I'm keeping extra bacon fat in the fridge, and my family is looking at me in horror.  lol

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 04:51:03 AM »
Yes, it is an evolution for me. Each day I am learning more, and taking what I need from that knowledge. Last week I was feeding my dog the chicken skins, but no more. Maybe today I will fry my eggs in the chicken fat.  How extravagant is that? I still want my coffee black, though.

I am going to get another pound of the grass fed beef, too, and feed the dog the generic ground turkey I cooked up yesterday. Jenny-O brand. tasted pretty gross.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 04:56:17 AM »
When it comes to food I think low or high anything is not a good idea, especially these skewed balances like high carb/low fat or low carb/high fat etc.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
Yes, it is an evolution for me. Each day I am learning more, and taking what I need from that knowledge. Last week I was feeding my dog the chicken skins, but no more. Maybe today I will fry my eggs in the chicken fat.  How extravagant is that? I still want my coffee black, though.

I still don't eat chicken skin unless it's heavily cooked in the form of wings / drumsticks.  Nothing to do with perceived health, I just find it gross.  The only time I really liked it was with KFC and that was just a mechanism for delivering the flavoring - but I'm pretty sure that's off the menu from now on.   :D

I've always taken my coffee black - BUT - I've started putting a tbsp of coconut oil in my 2nd or 3rd cup of the day when I'm at work.  It was just a test but it's really good!  The best combo I've found is a Tassimo Carte Noire Long Espresso pod with a tablespoon of CO.  Super creamy and still tastes like a nice strong Americano-like coffee.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
[size=78%] I'm keeping extra bacon fat in the fridge, and my family is looking at me in horror.  lol[/size]

I guess I should have warned my wife about the contents of that yogurt container, shouldn't I?   8)

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
...I still don't eat chicken skin unless it's heavily cooked in the form of wings / drumsticks.  Nothing to do with perceived health, I just find it gross...

Are you sure?
I'm using chicken wings to make soup today, the skin is the best part! ;)

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
I tried coconut oil in my coffee the other day, too, and it was a very pleasant taste experience!   :)   Still using goat's milk, which I'm getting used to.  And LOVE that goat cheese...chevre...am I spelling it right?  Anyway, doesn't seem like I'm very hungry these days.  But kept my bacon fat the other day in a ziplock bag in the freezer for those days when I want an egg friend in it!!  Yeah!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
Still using goat's milk, which I'm getting used to.

Just had me a glass of goat kefir.  :)

Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »
I feel stupid asking this, but I simply don't know. How do you cook the uncured bacon? Fry it? I know you can bake it, but for how long and at what temp? I'd rather fry it for the bacon fat. Can you nuke it?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
Pooka, any method you use for regular bacon works for uncured bacon.  I have seen no difference using any cooking method.  Feel free to be wild (or not)!  Please tell us about any outrageously good recipes you find.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
Pooka, I am cooking our uncured bacon on a foil-lined cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Perfect! How long depends on how thick the bacon is tho. After I take the bacon out, I pour the grease out of the pan and use it for something else (fried eggs, wilted spinach) or I pour it in a container and keep it in the frig for later use.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
I, too, eat animal fat.  Not a lot, but like someone mentioned, if there's bacon fat in the pan, I use it!  I've been indulging in uncured bacon, also.  And I recently heard about uncured ham...is that for real?  But I fry eggs in bacon fat now and enjoy enjoy them with a few slices of uncured bacon, plus a biscuit, which I'm now making, too!  Yeah!  What I've really noticed is how soft and clear my skin has become.  I still have eczema on my hands a little, but the skin on my face is remarkably soft and clear.  Not sure if this is because of no wheat or because of all the fat! 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »

Sponsored Links