This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: "Too delicate to go gluten free"???  (Read 4590 times)

Janknitz

• View Profile
"Too delicate to go gluten free"???
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »
So a young family member has intractible migraines, absence seizure disorder, and fibromyalgia. Her doctors told her not to eat "anything with a face", so she eats pasta and because she can't work she spends a lot of time baking and eating cookies, cakes, and anything drenched in chocolate. She's perhaps 100 lbs overweight and feels terrible most of the time.

Recently she cut out nightshades without much improvement. I've brought up ditching grains and sugar before, but the typical response is "what would I eat?" 

Finally a doctor suggested cutting gluten. I asked her how it went, and she said her blood pressure soared out of control so bad she almost had to be hospitalized. "I guess I'm just too delicate to change my diet that drastically".

Huh??

What could possibly explain that response??

HungryinTN

Re: "Too delicate to go gluten free"???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
Munchausen syndrome? 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »
Janknitz,

Denial.  Desperate for attention.

She gains something important to her needs by being too sick to work while spending a great deal of time baking and eating cookies.  Mores the pity.  She is young and not participating in the world.  Next year at holiday time she will be sicker and heavier, perhaps even more of a recluse, whatever.  The one thing you can guarantee is that she will not be any better. 

As sad and heartbreaking as it is to see, this is her choice and her life.  I know of a similar situation where the woman actually spends money ordering various flavored chocolate chips through the internet for her treats since she is too "sickly" to even drive to the store.
Financial resources are rather slim to begin with and she doesn't want to understand that expenditures for her treats and her co-pays for endless doctor visits and meds have placed her family in a desperate situation with more money spent each month than is coming in.  Mint or raspberry flavored chocolate chips ordered on a monthly basis is a "must have"?? 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:52:03 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »
I think you are right, Barbara.  Soooo sad. This is a bright and talented girl.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »
I once thought I'd never be able to do it--and dismissed it so many times before actually doing it.

I won't say it is easy, but I've been to two holiday parties already and there is absolutely nothing (except the boiled shrimp) that even tempted me. I did chow down on the shrimp. ;)  But people were pushing it.

I hope she will give the gluten free (grain free) a reasonable chance. After a month you don't even want anything with wheat.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:53:55 AM »
I'm trying to figure out what could possibly, legitimately explain her physiological response. There is a LOT of psychological resistance to going gluten free for her, but hat doesn't explain the physical response.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
Janknitz, I feel for your family member.  I struggled at the beginning of this, too, but after feeling SO GOOD in only a few days, I decided I could live with it and it would be in my best interests.  A friend of mine tried the plan for one week, then quit because she didn't lose any weight.  I told her I didn't lose any the first couple of weeks either, but I stuck with it because I felt so much better.  A lot of people are out for losing weight only; for me, my health was more important than losing weight.  I'm continuing to lose, slowly, but am very grateful I found a plan I can live with, and eat such variety of foods.  Someone mentioned recently on this forum that their celery tasted sweet and they'd never realized it could be so good.  Last night I had that same experience...I love celery now! We all do the best we can every day. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
Janknitz,

The migraines and high blood pressure episodes could be explained in many ways.  Perhaps she just got herself worked up into a "tizzy" because of pressure to change her ways.  She could also have taken or not taken her meds properly, that is, she didn't take them, took them twice or whatever,  She wasn't hospitalized even though most places keep you overnight for observation so you don't really know what her pressure was, who took it and the general circumstances surrounding this high blood pressure reading.

The fibro.as an illness can cause very severe reactions requiring hospitalization, especially for someone grossly overweight.  The migraine-bp-fibro connection is common and these episodes get worse and more frequent as time goes on because you body can only take so much abuse before a major health crisis occurs.  This episode could have been triggered by any of the foods (allergens) she ate in large amounts just prior to the event.

She probably feels so sick that she can't muster up the energy to prepare anything but sweets and starches which taste good to her.  Of course, there are also the issues of her diet causing changes in the brain which result in bad judgement and irresponsible behavior as discussed by Dr. Perlmutter and Dr. Amen.  Even her description of not eating "anything with a face" reeks of teenage rebellion designed to make the listener feel inadequate and challenged.  Vegetarians usually have a specific philosophy about the food they eat and are careful about their diet. 

As you can see, there are many possible reasons for her physiological responses.  She won't change her ways until she is sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.  Even leaving a copy of Wheat Belly or Grain Brain for her will only be read once she decides to help herself. 

Keep reminding yourself that she alone controls the items she places in her mouth.  It will spare you the heartbreak of watching her addictive behavior ruin her health and her life.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
I'm trying to figure out what could possibly, legitimately explain her physiological response. There is a LOT of psychological resistance to going gluten free for her, but hat doesn't explain the physical response.

You can lead a horse to water...

I look back at my wheat-free denial before finally trying it.  Don't forget we are being bombarded by Big Food, Big Ag and Big Government to eat our "heart healthy" whole grains.  This is a very powerful message that sticks and after decades of hearing it very difficult to contradict.  I have loads of friends/colleagues that don't believe wheat-free works (even though they see how much positive effect it has had on me) and this is all a fad because they're buying into SAD (Standard American Diet). 

I would buy Wheat Belly and Grain Brain and leave them on the coffee table for her.  Invite her to the Wheat Belly page on facebook to see the before/after photos.

I will be wheat free 1 year this upcoming February.  My life has changed so much for the better that I will never eat wheat again. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
Don't forget we are being bombarded by Big Food, Big Ag and Big Government to eat our "heart healthy" whole grains.  This is a very powerful message that sticks and after decades of hearing it very difficult to contradict. 

When I told my (newly diagnosed diabetic) colleague that whole wheat bread raises blood sugar more than table sugar does, she was very shocked and asked "Why are we told to increase eating whole wheat then?" all I could answer was "good question", of course I knew better but didn't want to scare her off the WF/GF lifestyle. I want her to come to it on her own.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »
Not having a tv certainly reduces the number of messages I'm subjected to by Big Pharma and Big Ag. But yesterday I was watching a show on Hulu and this Raisin Bran commercial comes on. 40s/50s-ish dad is eating a bowl of Raisin Bran and his teen daughter asks if Mom is making him eat that. And he says something like he's doing it for himself, and of course they plug the "heart healthy" whole grains. The public is getting bombarded by this false information; no wonder everyone is making the wrong decisions and getting fatter and unhealthier.

I got a blood glucose meter just because I wanted to see what my numbers are. My fasting blood sugar usually comes in around 91, and my post-prandial (two hours after meal) around 92. But I eat no sugar and very little carbs, so my numbers should be steady.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:46 PM »
Randal,

I also don't have a TV so not getting bombarded by ads either, but Youtube has some doosies.

Yesterday this advert for Special K comes on and they try to make you believe that their message is less about the number on the scale and more about being empowered as women. You see women eating Special K cereal, and Special K "Breakfast bars", and a new product Special K bread with what looks like egg whites and sliced cheese. This is intermixed with women's feet, of different skin tones and coloured nail polishes, on a scale and instead of numbers you see affirmations, then a woman fist pumps the air as she steps on the scale and I guess she has reached that magic number. She is slim and pretty (don't we all want to be that?).
Then a voice over comes on and says "Get more out of Special K", and my immediate response was, yeah more weight from eating that high sugar grain crap.

I have become so cynical since going WF  :D . lol! 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »
I remember the Special K "Can't pinch an inch on me" ads from the 70s... it reminds me how much naturally thinner people were back then, where all of a sudden it was embarrassing if you had enough extra around the middle that you could actually pinch body fat. Now the exception is the norm.

(Btw, these ads suggested that if you could pinch an inch, it was time to switch from "fattening" breakfasts like eggs and bacon to cereal for a few weeks, so you could drop some pounds. It was the beginning of the "swap protein and fat for sugars" movement, and we all know where that's gotten us.)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »
I remember those pinch an inch ads, they went well into the 80's.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:35:15 PM by VibeRadiant »

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 12:34:13 PM »
Barbara,

I think you hit the nail on the head in SO many ways!

The migraines and high blood pressure episodes could be explained in many ways.  Perhaps she just got herself worked up into a "tizzy" because of pressure to change her ways.  She could also have taken or not taken her meds properly, that is, she didn't take them, took them twice or whatever,  She wasn't hospitalized even though most places keep you overnight for observation so you don't really know what her pressure was, who took it and the general circumstances surrounding this high blood pressure reading.

I'm skeptical, too, about this since if it was so high and she supposedly sought medical attention, there should have been more response.

The fibro.as an illness can cause very severe reactions requiring hospitalization, especially for someone grossly overweight.  The migraine-bp-fibro connection is common and these episodes get worse and more frequent as time goes on because you body can only take so much abuse before a major health crisis occurs.  This episode could have been triggered by any of the foods (allergens) she ate in large amounts just prior to the event.

Perhaps, or maybe she just worked herself up in a tizzy about it.  I can't imagine how skipping bread or pasta at a meal could cause such an immediate and adverse reaction.  I did ask her about blood sugar--she denies any issues with that, but I can't see how she is in the shape she is without insulin resistance, and with little to eat (remember she doesn't eat meat or fish) she might have just bottomed out blood sugar at that point.  That might have raised her BP in an effort to regain homeostasis.   

She probably feels so sick that she can't muster up the energy to prepare anything but sweets and starches which taste good to her.  Of course, there are also the issues of her diet causing changes in the brain which result in bad judgement and irresponsible behavior as discussed by Dr. Perlmutter and Dr. Amen.  Even her description of not eating "anything with a face" reeks of teenage rebellion designed to make the listener feel inadequate and challenged.  Vegetarians usually have a specific philosophy about the food they eat and are careful about their diet. 
She lives with her parents, and her dear mom, (in typical Jewish mom fashion!) would do anything to help her daughter, including preparing special food.  So the energy issue is not a problem.  And as far as " not eating anything with a face" that's what a doctor told her after a supposed elimination diet--I'm very skeptical of that elimination process, because I'm certain they did not tell her to try grass fed meat during re-intro.  CAFO is full of the grains that are probably a problem for her in the first place.  She's never been much of a meat eater to begin with, so this was no problem for her.  But she was NOT careful about her diet.  She eats a few veggies, and a LOT of carby junk, with cheese as her main protein source. 

(Interesting side note--several of my nieces and nephews--all on DH's side--have "issues"--besides this niece, her brother has Aspergers, another nephew is bipolar, and a third nephew has PDD.  During a recent visit to our home, there were multiple fast food runs because none of these kids wanted the food we served--lots of meat (smoked turkey, brisket, chicken, beef sausages, loads of veggies, cheese, potato pancakes)--they all NEEDED their fast food fixes of burgers, chicken nuggets, and fries).   ???

As you can see, there are many possible reasons for her physiological responses.  She won't change her ways until she is sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.  Even leaving a copy of Wheat Belly or Grain Brain for her will only be read once she decides to help herself. 

Keep reminding yourself that she alone controls the items she places in her mouth.  It will spare you the heartbreak of watching her addictive behavior ruin her health and her life.

Sadly, I think she's getting an enormous amount of "secondary gain" from her conditions right now.  I'm not saying these conditions aren't real or don't mean anything, but I do think there's little incentive to try very hard to do anything remotely unpleasant (however temporary that unpleasantness is), especially because she doesn't have faith that anything will help her.  Conventional medicine has failed her completely.  They keep throwing drugs at her that don't work, and useless suggestions like "eat low fat vegetarian". 

I live some distance from her, so I don't see her often, but every time I do it's so disturbing to see her more and more dependent and stuck, and to watch her stuff her face with more and more sugary grain products. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
Janknitz,

Oh boy!  All those brain conditions that are severely affected by grains, sugars and other allergens.  These always get worse until one of their doctor's miraculously discovers that grains and sugars are the main culprits,  followed by those horrid oils, additives and similar manmade potions. Notice how different the "conditions" are, just like everyone on the WBB and here report differing health issues that are greatly improved with our way of eating.  The fact that there are so many of your nieces and nephews with health problems is just another alarming, but common representation of many families today.  An entire generation that are fat, asthmatic, allergic, diabetic or suffer some other severe health problem.  They all have one thing in common: "the junk food runs!"

You hit it on the head:  dependent and stuck.   How sad for them and their parents. 
We are here on this blog having this conversation because we read about grains/sugar and took responsibility for our eating habits.  We feel better and are healthier as a result.

Nearly every family I know has a similar situation as yours.  White, black, hispanic or asian.  Rich, poor or middle class.  Doesn't matter.  The common denominator is the fast food, carb heavy diet and refusal to even consider that they are having these health issues because of what they are eating.  Your carefully prepared wholesome meals are ignored for a tasteless hamburger and french fries, chips and dips.  Take heart.  Youv'e done and said what you can. The rest is up to them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:57:39 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
Janknitz,

I feel your frustration. I know that many people with illnesses or "conditions" start to identify with them as their only identity. Like you said, she feels trapped and doomed to be the way she is and that nothing can help her, and that some people start to use their illnesses to their advantage.
My mother has narcolepsy. She takes ritalin to manage it. But when she wants her way, she will double her dose which will accelerated her heart and cause her to become very anxious and (I imagine) very afraid as her heart pounds and she starts to sweat profusely and cries and gets very irritated (she also has high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and other conditions). And then everyone around her gets anxious and tends to her every need and that feeds her victim mentality and she benefits from the attention as a misguided form of love and nurturing (in her eyes).
She has done this in hospital to get the nursing staff to accommodate her right into a private room from the ward room that her insurance allows.  She has done this to have her doctor called in to soothe her in the middle of the night when she is in hospital.  When I realized what she was up to, I told her doctor but since she needs ritalin to manage her illness, he looks the other way.
It is sad that many people use their illness to stay sick and all we can do is watch from afar.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
I know we concentrate on the types of calories instead of the number or total, but Barbara, your mention of fast food reminded me of this fact: the serving size of French fries back in the 1950s was 2.4 ounces, and now it's 7.1 (almost triple). We're taking in more of the calories that make us fat.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmcsd/Patients/Pages/PortionDistortion-ServingSizesareGrowing.aspx

VibeRadiant

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
Randal,

Remember when McDonald's super sized everything? I'm glad that's gone now. But the super big gulps at 7-11 are huge!  All that sugar. . .  :'(

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
Yeah...think we all know at least one person like this one!  But truth be told back before WB, I was resistant as well as ALL my comfort food would be eliminated!  BOY, am I glad I finally decided to make the switch.
My metformin as been reduced in dosage as well as my Armour Thyroid.  I'm hoping to eliminate both of these altogether!!!  I much rather like my emerging better (good) health!
BTW...Dr. Oz has Dr. Perl..whatever his name is...the Grain Brain man on his show today.  I got the "heads up" on FB so I'm Tivo-ing it!
As for this family member---she's got to make the decision herself!  I too have folks close to me that have many health issues and they're filling themselves with all the holiday foods we know aren't good for us.  It goes on and on so we could teach by example!! 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »

Sponsored Links