This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Tofu  (Read 2082 times)

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
Tofu
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:54:59 PM »
Originally I checked out the WB book in our library.  Now I'm awaiting the arrival of my own WB book and don't have in hand for reference.
So question:  I thought SOY was tabu?  we can eat soy?  That puts an entire new element in my cooking!
thanks.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Tofu
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
I love soy and drink soy milk everyday.   Main thing is to make sure it's not genetically modified.  And, if you are eating tofu, make sure that there is not wheat added to it, as there are some flavored tofu products do have wheat in it.

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »

Thank you. I'm still learning.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:04:46 AM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:26:42 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »
Apparently the Soybean industry is as powerful as the Wheat industry.....because this junk is still allowed in the majority of our food supply.....

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/studies-showing-adverse-effects-of-isoflavones
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:26:53 PM by Rita »

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:32:14 AM »
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/dangers-soy/

It gets a very strong NO from me, GMO or otherwise.  It's right up there with any other grain or legume.  Worse than rice or corn.

High levels of estrogen, presence of lectins and phytates. 

I suspect that having soy as a part of this or similar diets could inhibit weight loss by means of leptin resistance.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
I used to drink soy milk all the time several years ago, plus ate everything that had soy as an ingredient, thinking it was great for my hormone issues, and took that Estroven supplement.  Unfortunately, I got breast cancer, and it was the kind that is caused by raging estrogen throughout the body.  Soy has estrogen.  I don't eat soy any more. And after giving up sugar several months ago, am hoping the cancer does not return.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
My mother had endometriosis and a full hysterectomy at about age 40.  The story is that they never quite get "all of it" because it's elsewhere in your body as well as the female parts.  It feeds off estrogen.  Any time she has even the slightest bit of soy she feels like complete garbage for a couple of days. 

In looking up the spelling of endometriosis I found another article condemning soy (and that means tofu)...

http://www.endo-resolved.com/soy.html

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »

Sponsored Links