This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Bacon Pemmican  (Read 1543 times)

VibeRadiant

Bacon Pemmican
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »
I hesitated posting this because of the fear of being told that this is a high fat food (despite this WOE isn't a low fat WOE) and that eating this would be unhealthy.

But here it is anyway. This is a high fat, moderate protein, no carb food, much like jerky (without a dehydrator or access to venison or buffalo).

1 package of nitrate/nitrite free, naturally cured, anti-biotic free,  pastured bacon
1/2 cup lard (or coconut oil)

Cook the bacon over low heat for several hours to reduce the fat in the meat slowly and extract the liquid gold. Add a few twists of sea salt and pepper.

Let it cool, but don't solidify the fat.
Place all ingredients into a blender (including the liquid fat)
add 1/2 cup lard and blend into a creamy batter.

Line a baking fish with parchment paper and pour the batter into it. Freeze until solid and cut into bars and wrap in tinfoil for portability.

Observations:
1. coconut oil would make this very soft if left on the counter, hence why I used lard.
2. I will make the next batch using ice cube trays.
3. despite using lard, this was still quite soft after being out of the fridge for 10 minutes, so not sure how to harden it for portability.
4. be ready to fight off the cat when eating it.

* ancestral pemmican would sometimes contain dried berries like cranberries, be made of venison, buffalo, elk, moose, etc... and the meat would be dried for days and then pulverized and fat added back in.

Randal

• View Profile
Re: Bacon Pemmican
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
I thought as long as it came from animals, coconuts, or olives, no amount of fat was too high...

VibeRadiant

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »
Randal,

That's what I thought too, but there is a part of me that says the reason why I'm not losing inches (I let go of losing weight) is that my fat intake is too high.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »

Sponsored Links