This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Sceptical no more!!  (Read 1884 times)

Mistyblue

• View Profile
Sceptical no more!!
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »
Well, I have to say that I have been very sceptical about this WF lifestyle.
I think it comes from being a nurse and all the things I believed in the past!
So this leads me to...I have been ( mostly WF) since Feb 2013
with no miraculous results! Anyway having had small amounts of wheat in the past months, I thought...no, I don't believe the side effects are as dramatic as some say...so I over indulged in treats
containing wheat..woke up with horrific heartburn!! Not well at all the next day, felt like a
hang over from my past! I'm not sure why it is taking so long for me to see results especially weight loss, but I will start afresh in the new year, buy Dr Davis's new book (today)and see if I can make better progress!! So you could say, I'm finally a believer!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Sceptical no more!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
Misty,

Everyone is different! Sensitivity levels are different.  Some people take longer than others to feel the effects of wheat elimination.
Dr. Davis keeps reminding us that no one escapes.  Did you ever have a reaction like this with any other food?

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »
Mistyblue,

Congratulations on your recent revelation. What is keeping you from going Wheat and grain free 100%?  What health benefits do you hope to see or improvement have you already experienced? Are you looking for Weight-loss? Relief from Chronic headaches or other diseases? Digestion problems? Could you give us a typical daily menu plan? I do wish you much success in 2014 and hope you find the new WB Cookbook appealing and enjoyable!

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Barbara and scrupulousgirl
Thank you for your comments. I have not had any reaction to other foods and very mild reaction to wheat consumption in the past e.g. Sinus congestion/headache.
I started the WF lifestyle very enthusiastically, I initially lost 12 - 13 lbs( all gained back)!! Obtained relief from chronic sinus infections and felt a little better health wise. I did stop taking statins. I became discouraged by the weight issue and having to consider removing dairy as well as looking at many other possible deterrents! Cravings have never completely disappeared.
I do eat out at least once per week and try to be as WF as possible. My usual daily menu:
1/2 cup blueberries, 3 eggs, coffee with cream for breakfast,
Cheese or almonds around 10am, left overs from last night dinner for lunch with 2% iogo cocoanut yogurt & flavoured herb tea, chicken/fish/meat with veggies for dinner, glass of red wine and WB dessert.

I'm thinking that I need to up my water(May only get 500 - 1000ml most days), up my fat intake( difficult), try dairy free? difficult to find substitutes, any other suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
Barbara and scrupulousgirl
Thank you for your comments. I have not had any reaction to other foods and very mild reaction to wheat consumption in the past e.g. Sinus congestion/headache.
I started the WF lifestyle very enthusiastically, I initially lost 12 - 13 lbs( all gained back)!! Obtained relief from chronic sinus infections and felt a little better health wise. I did stop taking statins. I became discouraged by the weight issue and having to consider removing dairy as well as looking at many other possible deterrents! Cravings have never completely disappeared.
I do eat out at least once per week and try to be as WF as possible. My usual daily menu:
1/2 cup blueberries, 3 eggs, coffee with cream for breakfast,
Cheese or almonds around 10am, left overs from last night dinner for lunch with 2% iogo cocoanut yogurt & flavoured herb tea, chicken/fish/meat with veggies for dinner, glass of red wine and WB dessert.

I'm thinking that I need to up my water(May only get 500 - 1000ml most days), up my fat intake( difficult), try dairy free? difficult to find substitutes, any other suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Do you like Avocados? We had a great thread a few months ago about a Baked Avocado. I mash mine up with Sour cream and Bacon. How about Coconut Softgels if you're having trouble getting Coconut oil in? Since I can't have Tea right now because of digestion and IBS problems, I put MCT oil in my Green smoothies and take Coconut oil Softgels twice a day. Why are you trying to cut dairy?  Unless you have a known or diagnosed intolerance, you shouldn't need to cut out Milk and cheeses. You should be drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day. For me, that's about 120oz, but most days it's closer to 100oz. I keep a 20oz Thermos with me and drink a full one on the way yo and home from work. Can you have salads? You could make some homemade dressing with good Olive oil. You can do this, but you're right, you've got to up the fats, recommend you slow down on eating out, make sure you're getting adequate sleep and drop the Wine. It's got a lot of Sugar and carbs you don't need. You mentioned that you're not 100% WF. Can you push yourself to be? Any added carbs or sugar can derail your efforts. Maybe consider the new 21Day Sugar detox book I believe comes out next month. Fat will keep you satiated as well as protein. Stay hydrated! You can do this!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
Misty,

Try to make bulletproof coffee with MCT oil coconut/grassfed butter.  I believe there is a long thread discussing this.  You might consider just taking MCT oil pills to increase your fats.  Your wine intake keeps your liver busy burning sugar to process the alcohol rather than the fats which would help you lose the weight.  This sugar burning can last for several days to a week for a single night's indulgence.  Eating some wheat or other grains will keep your body in inflammatory response mode for days on end. 

The water intake should be half your body weight in ounces. 

Everyone here has had to get used to eating fats again!  Linda R. just posted about Cabots Greek Yogurt, which is scrumptious, the way yogurt is supposed to be and this brand has 10% fat.  Google the company site for more information and local stores who carry this.  You also need to eat more veggies.  If you must be dairy free, then try to make the coconut treats posted by Vibe on this blog.

Your cravings haven't disappeared because you probably aren't eating enough fats or drinking enough water to clean out the toxins and you still have to be consuming some things that contain wheat and high starches.
Do a basic carb count on what you eat.  The rule of thumb suggested by Dr. D. is 15 carbs per meal per 6 hour period and 50 carbs per day.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:50:28 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Just my $.02.

Even 50 carbs a day might be too much, we're all different.

When I began the LCHF WOE, I used Atkins and I cut back to less than 20 carbs a day. That was July of 2008 and I have not been able to go any higher, if I do, the clothes get snug again. I could never consume as many as 50 net carbs a day.

I count every single carb I eat, even now.

I never eat out, I've read too many articles as to what really ends up on your plate and how your food is really prepared back in that kitchen.

I know that in order to eat organic veggies and/or berries, grass fed beef, heritage pork raised outside in the sun, cage free eggs and dairy items from grass fed cows, I need to buy and prepare my own food. Simple as that.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
It's great that you saw some validation in what you are doing.   Good for you!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »
Well, I have to say that I have been very sceptical about this WF lifestyle.
I think it comes from being a nurse and all the things I believed in the past!
So this leads me to...I have been ( mostly WF) since Feb 2013
with no miraculous results! Anyway having had small amounts of wheat in the past months, I thought...no, I don't believe the side effects are as dramatic as some say...so I over indulged in treats
containing wheat..woke up with horrific heartburn!! Not well at all the next day, felt like a
hang over from my past! I'm not sure why it is taking so long for me to see results especially weight loss, but I will start afresh in the new year, buy Dr Davis's new book (today)and see if I can make better progress!! So you could say, I'm finally a believer!

I too have not seen the weight loss results, but I no longer am so concerned with that anymore. I'm seeing other results that I think are more important than a number on a scale.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »

Sponsored Links