This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: What do you use to make bacon?  (Read 3452 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
What do you use to make bacon?
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
I've been making bacon in a frying pan, but I'd like to start using something else that does a better job of separating the fat ( for later use ) and keeping the bacon crisp.   Plus, I can only put about 6 pieces of bacon in a large frying pan, and when I'm cooking breakfast for a group, that doesn't cut it, especially when bacon takes a while to cook.

My husband makes bacon in the microwave in a paper towel for speed's sake, but the paper towel soaks the fat ( so it's not available for later use ), and I'm concerned about what leeches into the bacon from the paper towel.

I thought about doing cooling racks in the over, but the name 'cooling rack' makes me think that it's not to be used in the oven.

What do all of you use?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:54:33 PM by Rita »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: What do you use to make bacon?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
You can get microwave bacon racks, and put a dish under them.

... or not worry about recovery and just buy lard  ;) .

I think we broil it in the oven (I'm not the family cook).

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
> What do you think of silicone?

Just ordered another one of these yesterday.
http://www.amazon.com/Freshware-6-Cavity-Savarin-Silicone-Baking/dp/B004G43WAQ

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:56:27 AM »
The oven,so easy.

I've been baking my bacon this way for a long time.
Use a good sized baking sheet with sides and line it with foil.
Turn on the oven, put the bacon in and walk away. You don't need to preheat.
400 degrees
Come back and check at 17 minute or so.
I like my bacon well done and crispy so I usually turn the slices over and bake another 5- 10 minutes,
then remove from oven, move the slices to a paper towel lined pan, then pour all that lovely bacon grease
into a container that I keep in the fridge.
I then divide my bacon into servings, put them into sandwich bags, then the sandwich bags go into a freezer bag
and into the freezer.
When I want some bacon, take out a serving, pop it onto a plate, into the microwave on Power Level 2 for 30 seconds or so, and YUM!

Linda R

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:23:23 PM »
My dd bakes it in the oven. She can put the whole pound on the top of a broiler pan and the fat falls below through the holes in the top of the broiler pan for later use. The bacon is nice and crispy and flat when it's done. I think she puts it in at 350 and it takes about 40 minutes.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
Like Linda. I bake my bacon in the oven and freeze any leftovers.  I use crumpled foil to prevent the bacon from sticking and then pour any fat into a jar.  I start with a cold oven set to 400* and turn the bacon over after about 10 minutes.  Bake for another 5-10 minutes.  Thickness of the slices can alter the cooking time.

I do not care for silicone baking pans.  While the non-stick feature is wonderful, I found that when the pans are heated, they get very soft and you must place a hard metal baking pan underneath them to remove the pan from the oven or even to turn the filled silicone pan around while cooking.  A metal pan underneath the silicone while baking is not recommended. Trader Joe's sells a coconut oil spray to grease your metal pans if you don't want to use butter or the hard coconut oil.

Perhaps they have improved the pans!

Linda R

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Like Linda. I bake my bacon in the oven and freeze any leftovers.  I use crumpled foil to prevent the bacon from sticking and then pour any fat into a jar.  I start with a cold oven set to 400* and turn the bacon over after about 10 minutes.  Bake for another 5-10 minutes.  Thickness of the slices can alter the cooking time.

I do not care for silicone baking pans. While the non-stick feature is wonderful, I found that when the pans are heated, they get very soft and you must place a hard metal baking pan underneath them to remove the pan from the oven or even to turn the filled silicone pan around while cooking.  A metal pan underneath the silicone while baking is not recommended. Trader Joe's sells a coconut oil spray to grease your metal pans if you don't want to use butter or the hard coconut oil.

Perhaps they have improved the pans!

I am not a big fan either. I bought two 6 cup silicone muffin pans to use in my toaster oven if I didn't want to heat up my big gas oven. I hate the floppyness [sp?] of them, I have to be very careful when removing from oven and I don't even try to rearrange them while the batter is still fluid. I have not bought any silicone baking pans since.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:45:24 PM by Linda R »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
I like my microwave cooker the best, but unless you stack the bacon with paper towel between the layers, you can only do about 6 at a time. It is on an angle and has a drip tray. Even with paper towel, a lot of the grease runs to the drip tray. Quick & easy.

I also like to bake it with foil, but I often have a smoky mess in my gas oven (even when I wrap everything up tight) so I usually don't bake.

Usually in a hurry so I almost always microwave except on Sunday morning when I want to smell the bacon in the fry pan.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
Excellent advice everyone.   Thanks.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »
I can bake an entire package of bacon in the oven, and I can grab a piece or there when I am peckish (which isn't often since changing over to this WOE).

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »
I do mine in the oven too. Start w/ cold oven and uncured bacon. Line cookie sheets w/ foil. I can do a whole package at one time using two medium cookie sheets side by side. But I do mine at 350 and need to check it at 20-25 minutes. I do not turn it over. I take one pan out for DH and leave in the other to get crispier for me. Put on paper towels on plate & pour grease into the jar in my frig. I usually don't freeze any...just put in frig in storage bag because we usually eat it the next day.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »

Sponsored Links