This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Heirloom wheats  (Read 15631 times)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Heirloom wheats
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
The base article for this thread has been updated and migrated to, and is now being maintained on, the Cureality forum at:
Heirloom wheats

I remain a WFF user, and WFF users are welcome to continue commenting on it here, but I only want to maintain it in one place.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:15:02 PM by Boundless »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Heirloom wheats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »
Good info... thanks!

fudgecake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:38:39 AM »
If people will stop and look at how much energy they put into seeking alternatives to common wheat they might see how addicted they -- as well as family members -- are to it. I hate to say it, but it may take a 12-step program, or some other kind of support program -- not just a cookbook -- to get people off wheat.

A psychotherapist could probably build a specialty practice! And it's not just about the wheat. As I enter my 12th week on the wheat belly diet, I see that I've been depending too much on Splenda and stevia. This morning I had my almond flour - flax/hemp seed - blueberry - coconut oil - unsweetened cocoa cereal without any sweetener. It was delicious. I'm getting off the damn sweeteners. This way of eating is a process of refinement, I see.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:54:20 AM »
Thanks Boundless.......I'm going to make a copy and tape it to my forehead!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
Fudgecake,
That's so funny you mentioned the 12 step program!  My step daughter has just started the WB journey.....and is going through withdrawal with heavy carb cravings.....I told her to call me night or day and I'll help her through it.....like an AA buddy!

fudgecake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »
Fudgecake,
That's so funny you mentioned the 12 step program!  My step daughter has just started the WB journey.....and is going through withdrawal with heavy carb cravings.....I told her to call me night or day and I'll help her through it.....like an AA buddy!

Some sugar free chocolate syrup poured over almond pancakes topped with globs of whipped cream isn't such a horrible substitution. At my stage in this process -- after 12 weeks -- I really depend on good quality unsweetened cocoa. One package of Splenda fixes it right up. But I hear there are unsweetened cocoas that are so delicious they don't need any sweetener at all. I intend to find them.
http://thelunacafe.com/the-wonderful-world-of-unsweetened-cocoa-powder/[/u][/size][/size]

eve

• Wheat Belly since September 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
Fudgecake,

I was told to have a teaspoon of coconut oil when I have cravings and that did the trick!

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »
I don't really get why people keep searching for 'safe' wheat. Why not just dump it and move on to the healthy stuff.

eve

• Wheat Belly since September 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
I don't really get why people keep searching for 'safe' wheat. Why not just dump it and move on to the healthy stuff.

I didn't realize. The Wheat Belly book opened my eyes to the GMO and what I was actually eating. That book changed my life. I had heard of the health food nuts many years but i never got it till I read the book. Now I am a health food nut for the most part. Before more money comes in and I have no food its very hard. I am hoping that its a matter of learning how to shop.

Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
I think we can get too dependent on our "look alike" almond, coconut flour breads and treats too.  Plus the almond flours have alot of Omega 6 and noshing on tons of almond products can't be good either.  As I have gone in time (1 1/2 year wheat free) I desire the almond flour things less and less.  Now a pan sauteed carmelized parsnip and kale veg dish really turns me on.  It helped for me to try different veg and a quick google will give tons of recipes.  Any veg recipe with BACON rises to the top. LOL

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
I think we can get too dependent on our "look alike" almond, coconut flour breads and treats too.  Plus the almond flours have alot of Omega 6 and noshing on tons of almond products can't be good either.  As I have gone in time (1 1/2 year wheat free) I desire the almond flour things less and less.  Now a pan sauteed carmelized parsnip and kale veg dish really turns me on.  It helped for me to try different veg and a quick google will give tons of recipes.  Any veg recipe with BACON rises to the top. LOL
Janet, I think this is an important point. Here I've been trying to duplicate bread and pancakes and wondering why I haven't lost much weight. I think I'm really overdoing the nuts and have eased up considerably since my "aha" moment. I did the no-wheat thing a couple of years ago, before I'd ever heard of WB, and I didn't make anything with almond flour, coconut flour, etc. Weight loss was quite dramatic. 

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »
I agree that this is a good point too. I think that in the beginning one might be fearful of being "cheated" and therefore try to replicate the old foods they were used to. At least I know that's how I was feeling in the beginning. But even after only one month, I'm finding that I don't really want those things as much as I thought I did. I bake things with almond/coconut/etc flour thinking I "have to have" something similar to bread/dessert, and then it winds up sitting in the fridge all week. I'm needing the replacements less and less. I've actually found myself eating something just because I thought I needed it and then wondering why I did that!! Awareness is a wonderful thing.  :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »
I agree with you......I used to want some kind of toast with my poached eggs and bacon, but now I'm fine with eating them alone or either on a bed of sautéed spinach....and hamburgers are great on lettuce!  Of course, I'm not cooking for children anymore and that may require more mimic foods.

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »
This is great discussion and insightful wisdom, especially for those of us who are beginning new life in this new world of wheatlessness and grainlessness.  But for a while I am wanting to try some of those wonderful recipes in WBC (and beyond) so I can show myself that food doesn't have to be boring and tasteless to be healthier.  After more time has gone by I will hopefully not need as much, just as some of you have said.  Thanks, y'all!  :D

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
Two things.
I agree that we don't need all the "look alike" foods. I have found that the longer I am eating this way the less I "need"to have bready/cakey/cookie food.
BUT, when I do bake a big cake, half goes in the freezer for later and the other half goes to work with me. I love to eat cake in front of my co-workers who always freeeeeeeek at my grain free, sugar free, legume free life style. Or I have it for breakfast... love cake for breakfast.
Also, when I bake a cake I look at it like a densely packed nutricious super food.
Guess thats three.
Also thanks for the info. Boundless.

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Sula, that is hysterical!  Your "superfood cake!"  Recipe please?!   :)   

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
Hi Gem,
I use Dr. Davis' Yellow cake on page 258 of the Wheat Belly Cook Book. It is packed with almonds, flax, coconut, eggs, butter, and buttermilk, but I often use kefir or yogurt. Also depending on the flavor I want, I add 85% chocolate, or currents, or poppy seeds and lemon zest... or whatever I have on hand. I also double the recipe and make it in a 9 x 13 glass pan, and freeze half of it. I totally believe in: " Let them eat cake"! It also makes a mean carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Is a totally flexable recipe.
Happy baking!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »
Sula, how do you change this recipe to make a carrot cake?  Need a birthday cake soon......

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
Hi Jan,
I use a squeezed orange, use it as part of the liquid. Add some grated carrot, some cinnamon and nutmeg into your dry.I also am now adding gelatin to everything, so if you want add a teaspoon of that, a little goes a long way. I also made a icing with a package of cream cheese some sweetner to taste. O! add a teaspoon of vanilla flavor to the cake too. I think what I did was find a carrot cake recipe and then just subed out what I thought would make the WBCB be close to the same. It was not hard.
I have made it with lemon juice, lemon flavoring and poppy seeds also and it is very good. Am sure you could also use cocoa and melted 85%chocolate bar and make it chocolate cake. The basic yellow cake recipe is very versitile. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info and I will dig out the WBCB and go through the recipe in more step form

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »
Thanks Sula.....I need to make a birthday cake in a few weeks and I haven't made one since going WB....carrot cake fits th bill!

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
Now that I'm 6 months into wheat-free I see that my meals are basically single product items like meat, fish, poultry, vegetable, cheese, etc.  I remember too well how back in the beginning I was searching for "alternatives" and now still have a freezer full of almond/coconut/flax flour I haven't really touched except to coat some fried green tomato slices a couple of weeks ago.  I may end up throwing most of it out to make room for more meat and fish.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 08:06:55 AM »
Why don't you make a bread?  The WB recipe is excellent.  I really like the pumpernickel too.  Many other recipes for those ingredients!  Have you tried the microwave muffins?  Delish!  Easy enough for the Kooking for Dummies crew!  There are recipes for this on this blog.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
Why don't you make a bread?  The WB recipe is excellent.  I really like the pumpernickel too.  Many other recipes for those ingredients!  Have you tried the microwave muffins?  Delish!  Easy enough for the Kooking for Dummies crew!  There are recipes for this on this blog.

The few attempts I made at bread were not very good.  I've done the microwave muffins and they are good.  Throwing a piece of meat/fish on the grill is just easier and less effort for me. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
Because I'm so new at this I am trying to avoid bread substitutes, even the ones in the WB recipe book (aside from the flax and almond flour pizza crust/wraps).  In a week or two I'm going to try the biscuits from Gourmet Girl:

http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/2013/08/sunday-bruncheggs-sausage-and-easy.html and
http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/2012/11/black-pepper-cheddar-herb-biscuits.html

mainly for my husband.

I'm keeping myself in moderate ketosis so I'm staying away from most things that have alot of carbs.  Amazingly easy--no cravings.  Don't want to go back to the bingeing!!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »
Sula, is the exact yellow cake recipe posted anywhere? I can't find it and I don't have the cookbook.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »

Sponsored Links