This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Sauerkraut (Red cabbage)  (Read 983 times)

VibeRadiant

Sauerkraut (Red cabbage)
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
I recently made sauerkraut and it is very good.

I used a red cabbage, cut it in quarters and removed the core, soaked it in vinegar/water (4 hours) to remove any surplus residues, then rinsed it well.

I shredded the cabbage in a food processor and placed each batch in my crock pot, lightly salted each layer with sea salt and mashed it occasionally for the next several hours until a liquid started.

Coincidently, my vegetable steamer tray is oval (and it has holes in the bottom to allow steam up) and fits perfectly inside the oval shaped crock pot.  I placed the steamer tray in a plastic vegetable bag with a bowl filled with salted water inside the bag and pushed it down so that the liquid raised to the brim of the crock pot, submerging the cabbage and keeping it away from air. I covered the lot with the lid of the crock pot and covered that with a dish towel to keep out the light.  And left it in the kitchen at room temperature.

I checked it daily to make sure that mold wasn't forming and then stirred it every other day.  I tasted it at 5 days and it wasn't fermented yet. Today, after 7 days, it tasted perfect, not too strong and not stinky but hinting cherries (for some reason).

I jarred it, with the juice, and placed them in the fridge.

If you want a tangy batch, let it sit longer.

observations:
- the bowl is filled with salt water in case it tips or spills into the cabbage, this won't spoil the batch
- if mold does start to form, skim it off (make sure you get it all) and stir the batch, add a bit of salted water to bring up the liquid content
- if you don't have my set up, use a large round bowl, a plate and a rock (wrapped in plastic) to weigh it down or use a smaller bowl filled with salted water to weight it down.

Wheat Free Forum

Sauerkraut (Red cabbage)
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

Sponsored Links