This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: What's the one "no-no" you still miss?  (Read 5439 times)

arlin

• View Profile
What's the one "no-no" you still miss?
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »
Many of you are probably far enough into this new way of eating that you no longer miss any of the foods that you used to eat. But I'm so new to this that I have to admit that I still have (at least) one. For the most part, I don't miss much which is such a wonderful surprise BUT...

I still miss my "deadly" box of Kraft mac and cheese. Ok. I said it. LOL Mac and cheese was always my "go-to" comfort food if I was sad, lonely, bored, unmotivated, depressed, (awake  ;D ) what-have-you.

So,  I'm trying to think of what I could use to make a "mock mac and cheese". I've just started using jicama, and I thought that perhaps I could shred it, steam (or boil) it, and then mix it with a combination of melted cheeses, maybe a little cream, and some steamed chopped brocolli florets, toss it all together and bake it. I know it won't ever be as creamy-mushy as pasta because jicama just doesn't get all that soft, but it might do.

Anyone have any other ideas for me?

Anyone want to confess to missing something they used to love and what they've used to take it's place? Thanks!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: What's the one "no-no" you still miss?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »
It was always a rare thing anyhow, but I miss a bready thing with icing on it.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
I find if I blend cream cheese with some cream and xylitol, stevia, or truvia and a little bit of vanilla flavoring I can make a decent "frosting" to put over healthy nut-flour cakes. My mother's recipe for caramel frosting has always been a family favorite, so I need to experiment and see what I can come up with to replace that. It could be a huge challenge!!

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »
Turns out that Maria Emmerich has a low-carb mac and cheese recipe. Haven't tried it, but maybe you'd like to give it a whirl, arlin?

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2010/07/macaroni-and-cheese.html

Elana's Pantry has a recipe, too, although the lentil pasta sounds pretty carby to me:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/mac-n-cheese/

My comfort food used to be a large slice of white cake from my favorite bakery. I missed it in the beginning but not anymore. Haven't bothered with many bread or cake substitutes because I fear that I'll overeat the "healthy" stuff too.

Neicee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
Croissants!  Slathered with real non-salted butter and orange marmalade - with a large glass of orange juice.  Once a month was enough, but now......it's eggs, bacon/sausage/ham and coffee.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »
Thank you Joan!! I will definitely give that a try. Soon. Like maybe it's going to be on my menu next week  :D

I agree with you on the lentil pasta. I don't eat lentils at all. Have never had a taste for them. But the hearts of palm sound like a great substitute.

I'm not overdoing the cakey things either. At least I haven't wanted to so far. I've made a few things in my enthusiasm to try out new recipes from the WBCB to replace what I was fond of in the past, but I'm finding that a little goes a long way. Thankfully, I have a DS who is enjoying this new menu immensely and he winds up eating most of it. A tiny slice of anything seems to do the trick these days. I hope it stays that way because I agree it could be tempting to overdo even the healthier snacks/treats.

Neicee~Yum...I used to love to have my chicken salad on croissants. I had the same affinity for bagels with cream cheese that you had for croissants. But thankfully I'm not missing those.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »
An everything bagel with cream cheese and scallions!!!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
The hardest thing for me to give up was cereal...granola type. But I don't miss it now. Missed bananas at first. But now when I go to gro. store, I usually buy 1 banana...2 if they're real green...and we split one for breakfast. And...it's good enough!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 06:35:39 PM »
One of my favorite breakfasts used to be cheerios with milk, sugar, and a cut up banana. YIKES! I don't miss it at all.

Joan~I've put the heart of palm "mock mac and cheese" on the menu for this coming week. I'll let you know how it's received.

Cici947

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
Thin crust pizza! I'm a NYer and no matter what recipe I try (& I've tried many), I cannot duplicate a decent pizza crust.  Good thing is, I'm 3 months wheat free & am no longer craving it! The focaccia recipe in the Wheat Belly Cookbook is a great base for Sicilian style pizza, but I've yet to try a good wheat free thin pizza crust to make a NYer proud!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »
lol-   if you ever do find a decent one, please share! 

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »
Cici,

I agree the Focaccia bread is wonderful.  I have used it to make pizza too.  But, I think the next time I might divide the dough in half and roll one out as thin as possible.  Then cook the other one and cut into bread sticks.  I did it as bread sticks once and used them to dip in herb olive oil.  It was wonderful.  And even hubby loved them.  Howeve, I made one time to try and use for sandwiches and we didn't like it much for that.  It was too thick.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »
Joan~tried the mock mac and cheese with hearts of palm tonight and it was delicious! Thanks so much for helping me get my "fix" LOL

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
arlin, great! I'm trying a new "bread" recipe tonight.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »
Great! Let us all know how it turns out!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
It was fabulous, despite my culinary flubs. I don't have a small mixer, so I tried beating the egg whites with an immersion blender and then a mini food processor, but I couldn't incorporate enough air in the egg whites. So, the loaf didn't rise much, but it was still light and airy and wonderful! 

My picky, former bread-loving DH said this was the best non-grain bread recipe I've made so far. I'll post it in the recipe section--Grain-free sandwich bread.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »
Great! I'll go check it out in the recipes section. Thanks for letting us know.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »
I still really miss hot breakfast cereal...oatmeal, or whatever.  I haven't found a combination I like yet, so am sticking with my hamburger soup, or eggs/uncured bacon.  And of course, my coffee with half and half.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
Oatmeal...another thing I used to love in the morning. And here I thought I was only really missing my mac and cheese :P I'm not craving my oats, but it would be nice to have a hot cereal now and then. I guess I should try the hot flax cereal he mentions in his book.

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
BEER.

They're pretty much all made from barley, except for the few that are made from wheat.  Apparently Budweiser comes from rice but I don't like it.  I like nice dark flavorful beers.   

I don't even know what the very limited number of GF beers are made from but they taste awful to me so that's not an answer. 

We've been drinking nothing but wine (well, and some water) for 8 weeks now. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »

Sponsored Links