This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Wheat Belly Lifestyle Institute  (Read 9732 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Wheat Belly Lifestyle Institute
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
Looks like the Wheat Belly Lifestyle Institute sis up and running......saw it on FB.

http://www.wheatbelly.com/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:14:13 AM by Jan in Key West »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Wheat Belly Lifestyle Institute
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Well, if this is being structured like trackyourplaque, or cureality, my guess is that [ forum ] membership won't be free.

Which means that WFF will remain the go-to place for casual users and those who don't want to spend the money.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of Dr. Davis many web operations get condensed into fewer, easier to manage sites.

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
Well, if this is being structured like trackyourplaque, or cureality, my guess is that [ forum ] membership won't be free.

Which means that WFF will remain the go-to place for casual users and those who don't want to spend the money.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of Dr. Davis many web operations get condensed into fewer, easier to manage sites.

Which, for me, means "thanks, but no thanks".
I pay enough for my internet, I just don't accept paying to visit sites that involve my interests. I am very grateful that Dr D
brought the wheat free WOE to the world, but I also have a budget that can only take so much.

On a related topic, I just received my 1st shipment from Wheat Free Market, 2 bags of granola, and just enjoyed a serving with Cabot Greek Yogurt. Very Good.

However, next trip to HyVee I intend on looking for ingredients to make my own granola, without paying shipping. Found
a recipe that looks great, and the net carb count is very similar.

http://www.brookes-kitchen.com/2013/05/grain-free-coconut-crunch-granola.html

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:55:23 PM by Linda R »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »
Linda,

This Brooke's Kitchen site has a very promising looking blueberry muffin recipe as well as the granola.  I seem to remember that either here or on WBB various people posted many recipes for granola.  There certainly are endless variations.

While I'm sure that Dr. D's sites are excellent, they are probably more helpful to newbies than to us.  Since we have had the benefit of The Gluten Summit and will have another Summit at the end of the month, I think we will have covered most of the new and vital ground work of information.  Most of us read everything we can get our hands on about this WOE and share it here, so I'm not sure that we would be gaining much by joining these web sites. 

Personally, I feel I have purchased his 3 books and in doing so have supported his ideas and have thanked him enough!

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »
Linda,

Personally, I feel I have purchased his 3 books and in doing so have supported his ideas and have thanked him enough!

I totally agree!

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:34:57 AM »
I also agree!! After having purchased the three books, I think that for someone like me who has not had great results, there should be access to some nutritional advice without paying more memberships!! The same goes for all the other experts..you sign up for their websites and get tons of emails promoting their products!! At least if you join a weight loss group, you do have access to a consultant and you get what u pay for...that's my rant for today!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:10 AM »
When I first heard about the Wheat Belly Lifestyle Institute, I mistakenly thought it was going to be a non-profit entity geared toward WB research. After perusing the site, it looks like the focus is to provide a support network to the newly transitioning WBellies.....a three tiered approach with varying levels of interaction with humans etc.  It could be potentially helpful to many....don't know, didn't sign on....the Indians had a saying "that you need to pay for your medicine" (whether in trade or whatever) so maybe that's the premise there as well.

I'll be forever grateful to Dr. D for leading me to this life altering body of knowledge and changing my life as well as my future. I can't even begin to tell you how many books we bought and mailed out to family, friends and doctors, Tuesday will be our one year wheat-free anniversary (Yeh Ha!), which is also our wedding anniversary. We've learned so much already and are remaining open to potential avenues that may present themselves. While there are additional interactive, highly informative health blogs out there that challenge us....WBB and WFF were my first attempts with blogging so they're special! In addition, I think we collectively know enough by now to help and support newly indoctrinated WBelliers.....

VibeRadiant

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »
Since Dr D is a cardiologist and basically mends all of his clients with the elimination of wheat (ok - over simplification) and the best way to reach the masses is by opening an online presence, then the internet is the way to go to continue earning an income to replace the one that he has ethically eliminated.
Besides, an online membership for help in getting healthy may still be a lot cheaper for many people than actually seeking out a doctor and going through the frustrating effort of trying to find one who won't poo-poo this WOE when they know that Dr D is already at the forefront of this revolution.
Having said that, I would not be one of those who pays to get the help. I am already on 3-4 sites that deal with this WOL and that is sufficient for me.

But my hat goes off to the good doctor for trying to spread the message further and further. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 08:02:15 AM »
I was thinking that the nominal fee was to defray the costs of running the website.  I don't have any idea of the costs or time involved.  Perhaps Dr. D. has set the fee to keep only serious minded people blogging rather than anyone who has a computer and keeps asking the same questions over and over instead of reading even minimal amounts of the blog or book.  Perhaps he has to pay for several salaries.  I've notice that his responses on WBB are fewer, father apart and with minimal information imparted than when the blog started. 

How many blogs or web sites does he have?  WBB, Track your plaque ($) and what else?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:05:19 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »
I would venture that running a site can be a full time job and hiring professionals to run it can get pricey. Even running this forum has costs associated with it .

If one were to look at the bulletproofexecutive's site, I'd say that just about all the info there is free, but it is heavy on selling the products and services because that is how he makes his income, I don't really see anything wrong with earning a living helping people (if it is legit and not a "diet" scam - WW, JennyCraig, etc). There are many other sites that offer substantial free info which is complete and not just to lure one in and then get them to sign up so they can get the rest of the info.

HungryinTN

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
Yeah I can't really hold it against Dr. D for wanting to charge.  If nothing else, many consumer associate paying for something with legitimacy.  If he starts charging then he throws his hat in the ring with Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, etc.  I used to work at a weight loss clinic, and part of the mentality behind what we charged was actually to get people to commit to it.  Once they signed a contract and spent the $1000 to commit to a year of the program, they were more likely to be successful and stick with it than those who joined without a contract.  Of course, the success may also have been related to their ability to pay, as those who paid monthly were usually working within the margins of a smaller budget.  That said, I don't think I'll be paying for WB for myself, but I have considered buying the 30-day access to the video courses for my father, who keeps saying he wants to get started but keeps not getting started. 

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »
> Yeah I can't really hold it against Dr. D for wanting to charge.

Well, we don't yet know that this will be the case. If the program includes some services or physical deliverables, it's obviously going to have to cover those costs. It's conceivable that the forum might be free.

Historically, charging for forum membership was a way to deter spammers, vandals and trolls, plus cover the expenses of hosting, web maintenance/backup and moderation. WFF has shown that this can be done at very low cost, allowing free membership, and not even running banner ads. Thanks, Rita.

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 11:28:35 AM »
Sounds like the lifestyle institute is to provide a means to get the message and information to others, perhaps those who don't wish to read a book, and have the message from officially trained and credentialed sources, as well as to provide more additional attention to those who need it.  Obviously not everyone just hops right on and has easy success.  Many have a lot of issues going on.  Those of us who have been at this awhile won't need the course.    I have seen many packages at 100 bucks or more for health-related things.  30 bucks sounds pretty reasonable.  Not much more than the book at retail.

The forum aspect is unclear, perhaps just building the community in an official place, whether there is a fee or not.

Linda R

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »

However, next trip to HyVee I intend on looking for ingredients to make my own granola, without paying shipping. Found
a recipe that looks great, and the net carb count is very similar.

http://www.brookes-kitchen.com/2013/05/grain-free-coconut-crunch-granola.html

Finally purchased all the ingredients to make my own granola and I am really pleased with it. The carb count is nearly the same as the one for sale at Wheat Free Market.
I tried it on my yogurt last night, quite good.
This AM I simply put a serving in a small custard dish along with a tablespoon or two of heavy cream.  Awesome!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:11:51 AM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
There are definite costs to running the forum.  The main costs are when I need to hire my coder, and monthly hosting.  Between those 2 costs, it's been averaging out to about $40-$50/month.   But I'm willing to absorb those costs as this is a great resource for my own education.   I like having a place where I can easily check archives of previous discussions, and I like all the information that everyone posts here.   I also like that we can discuss topics in depth.

My nutrition program does have a Facebook page, but it's very difficult to find prior discussions.  The Facebook format doesn't work for me, although it is free.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:19:33 AM by Rita »

Linda R

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »

My nutrition program does have a Facebook page, but it's very difficult to find prior discussions.  The Facebook format doesn't work for me, although it is free.

I killed off my FB account about a year ago and have not missed it one iota. I was getting nothing out of it other than reading about all the problems, whining and complaining from so-called friends and family.
Enough already!
I also read an article this week that FB is actually declining in memberships. It has reached it's zenith, and will go down from here, eventually ending up like MySpace. The "kids" are already bored with it, after all, once older adults find and begin using something, the "kids" look elsewhere for something more cool.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »
> ... it's been averaging out to about $40-$50/month.

Any reason why you don't at least have a crowd-fund button?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
Any reason why you don't at least have a crowd-fund button?

lol -   I've thought about it.  Didn't want people to feel weird about that though.   

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
The Wheat Belly Lifestyle Institute now has a magazine........

http://www.wheatbelly.com/articles/2014Feb
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:27:42 AM by Jan in Key West »

totalcleansedetoxdiet

• Hey there! Thanks for having me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
Holy Moly :)  The facebook page has over 110,000 likes.  Are those all real?  that's insanity!  Rita, I can definitely relate to those forum costs you're talking about.  I've been there, done that - it got to be too much work for the reward.  I was scrambling to moderate and it just turned out to be a strain between managing it, working and playing with my kids at night.  :)  Anyway, I commend you and the other forum admins here who keep the lights on.  We appreciate it.
current research - parasite cleanse diet

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
Dr. D posted this on his FB page today.....Wheat Belly magazine. I think it might be pay-for-view, but am not sure.....

http://www.wheatbelly.com

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
> I think it might be pay-for-view, but am not sure.....

The April issue of the magazine was free, as is posting comments on various topical threads that have discussions.

No sign of a forum yet.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
I couldn't get the magazine to open on the FB thread.....only on yours. Now I see that the first issue is free, but you must join and become a member for access to future issues.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »

Sponsored Links