This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Tuna getting boring  (Read 5200 times)

jambo101

• View Profile
Tuna getting boring
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
 I usually do tuna salad on Romain lettuce most days for lunch.. Tuna salad is becoming kinda boring, is there anything else you can do with tuna other than make mayo based salad with it?

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
Re: Tuna getting boring
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
I used to eat tuna nearly every day.  I didn't get tired of it though.

I stopped eating it as often because I realized it was making it hard for me to keep my protein grams below 70 for the day.

I often eat sliced summer sausage (just a few slices) and a few pieces of cheddar cheese for lunch.  It has less protein.

I've also found I don't need to eat so much as I used to.  In fact, I'm thinking about just skipping lunch altogether.

Another thing about tuna salad ... if you use regular mayo, you're omega 6 is going to be too high.

FWIW ... I like diced jalapenos in my tuna salad.   :)
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:07:42 AM »
Jambo,

Try a tuna melt, salad nicose,  a casserole, avocado half stuffed with tuna or any other fish or meat/fowl.  You might want to do an internet search for paleo tuna recipes or just ordinary tuna recipes and adjust the ingredients for grain and sugar free.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »

I'd switch up and eat something other than tuna for a while, as it's always better to get a variety of food sources in.  Chicken salad might be a nice change.

If you're looking for any easy fish snack,  herring in cream sauce and onions that you buy in the deli is really good. 

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
Sardines are packable & you can eat right out of the can.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
We get tired of tuna sometimes too. However, another way we have it occasionally is just plain tuna with hot sauce on it. Maybe guacamole on the side or carrot/celery sticks.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »
A million years ago, while in college,, my roommate and I spent a summer working in a tuna canning factory in Oregon.....while it was a huge motivator to finish school and led me to a brief fling with vegetarianism, needless to say, I have never been able to eat tuna since! Thankfully, it wasn't a salmon factory....because one of my favorite things is smoked slamon topped with capers and onions.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 05:31:45 AM »
FISHCAKES (TUNA OR ANY FLAKED WHITE FISH)

1 can tuna
1 1/2 tsp. fresh basil
1 egg whisked
1/2 jalapeño minced
1 TBS olive oil
1 small scallion or some chives (to taste)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 TBS coconut flour
1 TBS shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
oil or butter for frying

In a bowl, whisk egg.  Flake tuna or other fish.  Add remaining ingredients.  You may want to increase coconut flour by 1/4 tsp. if too liquify. Form into patties.  Refridgerate for about 15 minutes or so to allow patty to stick together.  Fry in hot pan until golden, turning over once.

Makes 2 patties.  Recipe may be doubled, tripled, etc.  Tastes good hot or cold.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:13:12 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:53 AM »
Jan,

Ah, those were the days weren't they? 

One of my summer jobs was to collate flyers, ads and other similar offers into a large envelope with a catalog for buying sheets and other bedding.  You were able to send money in a lay-away type plan and then the company would send you the sheets.  This was before credit cards.   The factory wasn't air conditioned either.  My hands were filled with paper cuts and red stains from the envelope.  Happy to get that job!  In fact, all of us "college kids" worked so quickly that the owners ordered chinese food for lunch on our last day.  We found out that we had completed the entire season's mailings.

Only recently and because of the internet, have I begun to mail order!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:07:14 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

jambo101

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:22:17 AM »
FISHCAKES (TUNA OR ANY FLAKED WHITE FISH)

1 can tuna
1 1/2 tsp. fresh basil
1 egg whisked
1/2 jalapeño minced
1 TBS olive oil
1 small scallion or some chives (to taste)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 TBS coconut flour
1 TBS shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
oil or butter for frying

In a bowl, whisk egg.  Flake tuna or other fish.  Add remaining ingredients.  You may want to increase coconut flour by 1/4 tsp. if too liquidy. Refridgerate for about 15 minutes or so to allow patty to stick together.  Fry in hot pan until golden, turning over once.

Makes 2 patties.  Recipe may be doubled, tripled, etc.  Tastes good hot or cold.

Now that is different from Tuna salad...

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
I have a quick and easy version too:

Tuna or Salmon Patties

Tuna (or salmon)
Lemon pepper
Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
1 egg
Flax meal
Coconut oil

Mix all ingredients. Form into patties. Fry in coconut oil.

Good served with a baked sweet potato and turnip greens.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »
Both of these recipes look like they would lend themselves beautifully to crab cakes as well....tis the season!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
Good idea Jan!

At least crab is wild caught and sustainable (I think) and not living in filthy waters like the shrimp from Asian countries.

Crabcakes with avocado and some greens …. yummy lunch!  Over stir-fried zucchini "spaghetti" for a more substantial meal.  Gourmet Girl Cooks juliennes her zucchini the night before, wraps it in paper towels and lets it sit overnight in the fridge to allow it to drain.  Either uses microwave or frypan with a drop of oil to heat it up. 

FWIW, The Fresh Market sells their own brand of smoked salmon that is wild caught and is packaged in 4 oz. sizes.  Very hard to find wild caught smoked salmon at any price around here, even at Whole Foods.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
Yes Barbara, our local stone crab harvest is sustainable.....they are caught in licensed traps, where one claw is removed and then they are returned to the open water where they will grow another. Our water around here is fairly clean now, although the oil spill a few years back did contribute to major contamination of the gulf waters, and some remain skeptical that our gulf shrimp are as clean as they used to be.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
Jan,

It is good to know for sure that the crabs are sustainable.  Almost all the wild caught fish is price competitive with crab, so crab is no longer a luxury item.  Local supermarkets and boutique stores seem to be carrying mostly farmed fish now.  Time to find a fish market!

Linda R

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
Yes Barbara, our local stone crab harvest is sustainable.....they are caught in licensed traps, where one claw is removed and then they are returned to the open water where they will grow another. Our water around here is fairly clean now, although the oil spill a few years back did contribute to major contamination of the gulf waters, and some remain skeptical that our gulf shrimp are as clean as they used to be.

Is that humane?
I know nothing about crabs, other than the fact that they are delicious!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »

Is that humane?
I know nothing about crabs, other than the fact that they are delicious!

Ha! I guess it beats being dead! I think out of the crustacean family, crabs might be one of the few that can re-grow their claws, not sure about Alaskan Kings or other types.  We have friends that have some crab and lobster traps and we trade them for our pastured beef from Indiana.....they insist they don't feel a thing, and they grow back quickly but I often wonder how they eat in the meantime.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »

Sponsored Links