This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Baked Eggs from Against All Grain  (Read 1765 times)

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
Baked Eggs from Against All Grain
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
Good afternoon, Everyone.

I am planning on trying this recipe in the next week or so. Has anyone else done a Baked Egg recipe similar to this or do you have another Recipe that you prefer that turned out well?

http://www.againstallgrain.com/2013/01/22/italian-baked-eggs-oeufs-en-cocotte/

TIA

Bailey

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Baked Eggs from Against All Grain
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
Hi Scrupulous,

I just didn't have the proper sized ramekins for this recipe.  It tastes good, but if you look at the pictures closely, the short, wide dishes like you would use for a creme brle or small tarts are the ones she features.  The others, which is the size I have, are only half filled and doesn't really look right to serve to company.  Using the suggested pan size is important so eggs set properly.  I believe there are other similar recipes posted on the internet that aren't as tricky.

I don't know if you are using dairy, but if you are, I've made this spinach-ricotta pie many times in one tart pan or small ramekins.
Even in a muffin tin using cupcake liners or no liners at all.  You can omit the ricotta cheese and use 2 cups of drained, canned pureed white beans instead.  Much higher carbs, but tastes good.  I have frozen leftovers and they are good when left to defrost naturally.  This is a good recipe for any meal, brunch, party food and any gathering you can think of.  This past Fall, I brought it to a cheering squad for a local charitable "race for the cause" in a small muffin form with a grape tomato on top.  Big hit!

SPINACH RICOTTA PIE

350* oven

2 C  spinach, kale zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower or other leafy green in small pieces
1 C grape tomatoes
2 C ricotta cheese
4 eggs
4 strips cooked bacon, ham or sausage cut into small pieces
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic diced
2 TBS pine nuts or walnuts
2 C cooked, diced sweet potato (optional)
1/2 C grated cheese (cheddar, parmesan, feta and similar)
Salt, pepper to taste
dash nutmeg
1 TBS butter or oil for greasing baking dish

Dry fry your nuts (if using) until golden. Remove to side dish.
In same fry pan, add a TBS or so of water and your vegetable, cooking until wilted or soft.  Drain and remove to your side dish.
Fry your bacon, ham or sausage in same pan, then add the chopped onions and garlic cooking until colored.  Add this to your pine nuts and vegetable.
Beat eggs, add ricotta, grated cheese, salt and pepper and fold into the other ingredients. 
Pour into your baking dish.  Add grape tomatoes evenly spaced.
Grate nutmeg on top.
Bake 45 minutes until firm and golden.  Serve hot or cold. 

I used a shallow tart pan and cut pie type slices or used foil cupcake liners in a muffin tin for a special brunch.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:37:51 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:43:16 AM »
Barbara, Thank you so much for sharing your recipe and commenting on the Ramekins vs Creme Brle dishes. I agree and am sure that makes a difference. Your recipe sounds wonderful and I sent it on to my mom. I love the option for using Zucchini for something different. I have some Mini Stoneware pie dishes that might work. They are 12oz capacity. Guess you would just be careful about only filling them less than 1/2 full.

Hope you have a blessed Weekend!

~Bailey

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »
Scrupulous,

You can fill the dish almost to the top.  If you have too much for your dish, use another.  This is supposed to be no higher than 2".

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »

Sponsored Links