This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New to Wheat Belly  (Read 4452 times)

Bren

• View Profile
New to Wheat Belly
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:36:59 AM »
Hello everyone,
Glad to be here.  I started out very thin, but after my second child, I gained to 160ish.  Before that, my weight was generally around 135-140.  I really put the weight on after my third child, but my unhappy marriage was probably partially to blame.  I have always been a bulk eater, even when I was thin.  And I LOVE bread, pasta, and sweets. Sometimes I feel uneasy and icky and I want some bread.  Once I eat it, I feel better.   Fast forward to now.  Still 5'5", but now 210 lbs.  I have been doing this woe loosely for about 4 weeks, have lost 8 pounds.  Last 2 week, have gained .02 oz per week.  I'm 56 and need to get this weight off.  I look so bloated midsection, even my hands and legs are fat and puffy.  I snore.  My joints and muscles hurt, I get out of breath and I want to be healthy.  I've GOT to do this.  I figure my healthy weight should be right around 140.  When the snow subsides, I plan to get out and walk a little.  Nothing strenuous, just activity since I sit all day at my job.  I also have a dance DVD with ten minute workouts.  Do you think that would be ok?  I would appreciate any tips at all. 
Thank you so much!
Bren

HungryinTN

Re: New to Wheat Belly
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
Welcome to the fold, Bren!  The hardest part is getting started.  To cover the basics, how "loosely" are you following?  The most important thing to start with is the complete elimination of all wheat/gluten.  Next comes sugar.  We've discussed a good introductory step system to help new members along, and I'd say those two are at the top of every variation.  Once you get those two things under control the rest is really pretty darn easy, plus the motivation you feel once the health improvements start coming (after about a week I could walk up and down stairs comfortably again and I was at about 215, 5'4'').  The benefits come at different times to different people, but the more loosely you follow, the more slowly they come, and the less motivated you are to continue.  Additionally, if you haven't completely eliminated gluten, you haven't broken the addiction cycle.  It's like quitting heroin 80%.  You MIGHT be able to keep it under control, but your body is still going to suffer, and sooner or later you're going to O.D. 

As far as exercise, any movement you can do has many benefits.  But the most important thing is nutrition.  Eating real food, not packaged and processed food-like substances, and plenty of good fats (grass-fed butter and ghee, coconut oil, lard, EVOO) is key.  Basically, light an imaginary bonfire in your head, find everything you ever learned about dieting, and burn it. 

Bren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »
Thank you.  I have that bonfire going, sometimes smolders a little.  My daughter is going to school for nutrition and wants to be a physical trainer.  Her and I go round and round about the best way to do things.  She works out for 11/2 hours 4-5 days a week and is training for a competition.  She is 19, about 165 lbs., 1500 cal per day, but has cravings and stops at the donut shop frequently.   ???   She said that I can tell her what to do when I lose 50 lbs., which I plan on doing.  I have few cravings.  That is one positive, because I used to crave everything, all the time.

Do you have any insight into how much protein, carb, and fat I should eat daily?  I stay under 2000 calories daily. And should I stay away from fruit for now?  (Another thing we go round about)

Thanks so much, so glad to have found this group.

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »
I personally stay away from fruit.  The safest bet, fruit-wise, is berries, if you feel better incorporating some.  The most important macronutrient is fat, and I think most of us eat about 60-70%+ of our daily intake from fat and the rest from protein and veggies (some people use a more precise equation - I'm sure the others will be chiming in soon!).  The Wheat Belly recommendation for carbs is 50 grams, with no more than 15 per six hour period.  To reach nutritional ketosis, you might want to stay a little lower than that on most days.  That will put your body into fat-burning mode, using your fat for energy rather than carbs, speeding up your weight loss. 

Good luck with your daughter!  I hope you can help her see the light!  She's just starting out on her career, and it would be wonderful to see the new generation of health workers getting on board with this!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
Don't fear fat. Fat is your friend.

Here is a great place to start. http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,2.0.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:16:45 AM by VibeRadiant »

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »
Welome to the forum. Glad your here. My words of wisdom are  ~ drink plenty of water, eat plenty of good fat, everything taste better served with or cooked in bacon 😄 and hide your scale.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
Glad you joined us Bren.   

If you're looking for some meal ideas, here are a few threads that will help:

Breakfast:
http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,19.msg7650.html

Lunch:
http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,356.msg7808.html

Dinner:
http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 05:04:48 AM »
Welcome Bren!
Your body composition/age is similiar to a woman in one of my yoga classes, who, after borrowing my copy of WB, asked for some guidance in transitioning to this WOE. In Hungry's post, she referenced a thread (don't know where it is) where we have been discussing a slower transition, which could potentially mitigate some thyroid, adrenal, and even liver issues. She did two weeks of wheat/gluten elimination, dropped sugar and high sugar fruits/juices.....all the while, familiarizing herself with reading labels, ridding her pantry of unhealthy oils, moving into organic veggies and pastured products....and slowly ramping up healthy fats. She measured herself (temporarily ditched the scales) in the beginning and we're now in week 3 with nearly 2 inches off her waist.  She's still eating smaller increments of potatoes, rice and other starchy veggies so that will be the next step.....I'm inclined to advise 6 to 8 weeks to reach WB carb targets. While her initial week was rough, she's had improvements in so many areas that I think she'll stick with it.  So good luck Bren....it's a satisfying journey!

Graindead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »
"I have been doing this woe loosely for about 4 weeks" "I've GOT to do this"

If I could make a suggestion-

Track everything you eat- I mean everything- on myfitnesspal. (www.myfitnesspal.com). It's free.
You need to set goals for this to work it's magic. Lots of tutorials and information there on how to get started.

I use it religiously, especially after a weight loss stall a few months back. It is very enlightening. You would be surprised at how much extra you are eating that you didn't realize, primarily in the carb category. If this is something you've GOT to do, it is invaluable.

As stated earlier: wheat first. Get that under control. Move on to reducing/eliminating sugars, grains, and other high carb junk. Be an avid reader of labels.

Read, read, read, and stay connected. I don't post much here, but it's a very good site and you are amongst friends.

You'll get there with a little elbow grease. As a matter of fact, you'll find a way to cook with that elbow grease, just to up the fat a tick.  ;)

Graindead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
Just saw in another thread where you are already using this. Well, it's a big help anyway. Good luck.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
I think this keto calculator is helpful (especially for beginners).

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Also, I've collected links to other helpful information here:

http://jeffgilbertson.wordpress.com/

Low Carb Since April 2009.

Bren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
Thank you all so much.  What a great group.  I'm so glad I joined.  I'm going to the keto calculator and I already use my fitness pal.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »

Sponsored Links