This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Bone Broth  (Read 24714 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Bone Broth
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
I just got this dehydrator  http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-3900B-Deluxe-Dehydrator-Black/dp/B004Z915M4   .  Apparently it costs about 6 cents / hour to run.   It's on Amazon for just $200 (although I think it's usually $300 ).   It has 9 trays, with each tray 15" x 15"

I don't think I'd keep it on my counter all the time as it does take up space.  I'd just pull it out on dehydration days

Yesterday I made a vegetable 'leather' that I can further grind to a powder.   In my Vitamix,  I blended celery, carrots, spinach, a yellow pepper and a red pepper.   I poured it over the flex sheet  ( which you can buy separate for liquids ).    It only took about 7 hours to dry on 135 F , and it's brittle.    I can now just add a little of that to a bone broth or sauce.   Dehydration locks in most nutrients, and I can keep it for years, if not decades.   

I just finished sprouting some pumpkin seeds, so they are drying in there right now.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »
I guess it's best not to overdue it on the bone broth, as you can get too much calcium.   Apparently bone broth contains 1500 milligrams of calcium per liter.   One bowl will provide about 450 milligrams of calcium.   And you may be getting calcium from other sources such as leafy greens and dairy too.    The optimal intake (according to Perfect Health Diet ) is 741 milligrams per day.   

Too much calcium in the diet is dangerous, which is why they don't recommend supplementing with calcium.  And,  calcium needs to be balanced with magnesium, which most people don't do.

Bone broth is still a very healthy thing to eat, but from what I'm reading it should be kept to one bowl per day.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 05:17:59 AM »
It's difficult to get accurate nutritional data on bone broth, most information seems to be supposition at this point. But the highest level of calcium I've found on various data sites is that one cup ranges between 90 and 110 mg.

My concerns with bone broth are 1).....are the bones from a strictly pastured and uncontaminated animal and 2.) the lead content (and other contaminants) of the water used to both feed the animal and cook the broth.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »
I'm resurrecting our bone broth thread for the newcomers....in my experience, it's an important component of this WOE.

On another note, my husband and I noticed that since January of 2013, we have not been sick except for the cold we caught after flying north for Thanksgiving last year.....and after three days of consuming bone broth, even that was short lived.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2014, 06:31:44 AM »
This is another one of those old time things we did in Germany when I was little.  My aunt made broth all the time, we didn't call it bone broth, but hers gelled and did have veggies in it.  So freaking good, I can still remember eating a cup of her beef broth, and just feeling the goodness of it hitting my body, energy is definitely better when indulging in it.

Good reminder, to get back to making broth.  When daughter was pregnant, I would get whole organic chicken, either roast or boil it for soup, take meat off bones, and then return the bones to the pot and add water and sea salt, and let them simmer all night and next day.  In large Le Creuset with tight lid, that is a must, so the broth doesn't evaporate!

She absolutely craved this, forget what she called it right now, but something like Heaven in a bowl.   :)

It's always easier during the colder seasons, but might make some to take to work in my thermos again.  Along with my next recipe to be posted, Fat Bombs .  :D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
I would have never thought of drying broth!!  Clever idea.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »
My sister and her husband bought 1/2 of a pastured raised/pastured finished beef.....I asked her to get me the bones and today they delivered 2 huge coolers of bones, cartilage, organs and hooves....she said she was embarrassed to ask for the eyeballs, she said when it came down to it, she just couldn't do it.......and here I was really looking forward to the eyeballs....they're very high in Vitamin A. Sheesh....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 04:11:34 AM »
Jan.

Eyeballs???????  Geez Jan, you are a VERY BRAVE WOMAN!!!!!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 05:47:13 AM »
Well Barbara.....they do say "nose to tail"!  8)

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
The eyeballs are before the nose! I cooked bone broth on your recommendation and mine didn't come out right. It smell bad, tasted bad and had lumps in it. Eyeballs indeed! 'Nuff said.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
Well ladies,

I laughed and laughed!  What a conversation we're having.   ;D

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »

Sponsored Links