This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: A Good Read. Any Tips?  (Read 2889 times)

lyra

• View Profile
A Good Read. Any Tips?
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
Since I have read Wheat Belly twice now, I am ready to expand my library. I am a slow, studious reader and am ready to actually move on to another nutrition book. What do folks recommend? I am deliberating between ordering Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint or maybe Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat. I will order a hardcover book from Amazon, most likely. Since I am disabled with OCD I don't do Kindle since I am sure it would drive me more insane, and I don't go driving around to book stores. Or anywhere else, for that matter. What is your favorite? Something scientific, not too much interested in recipes, since I make up my own.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: A Good Read. Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
Lyra,
I've been buying used hardcovers from Amazon and as a prime member, get free shipping....much cheaper!  A few recommendations:  "Good Calories, Bad Calories", by Gary Taubes....."Fat Chance" by Robert Lustig....."Protein Power", by Michael Eades....."The Blood Sugar Solution" by Mark Hyman......Just ordered "The Fat Switch" and "The Vegetarian Myth".

I also read lots of nutritional blogs.....J. Stanton (Gnoll.org).....Marks Daily Apple.....Chris Kessor.....Peter Attiia's Eating Academy.....Dr. Georgie Ede's Diagnosis Diet.....Michael Eades...

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 03:07:35 PM »
Wow! Thanks, Jan. I shop at Amazon a lot, and have considered going for the Prime membership. The way it is now, I have to come up with $25.00 purchases for free shipping, which isn't that hard to do! I have been ordering their coconut oil and coconut milk there as well. But, back to the topic at hand. Thanks for all the great leads. That will keep me busy for awhile.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
I recently read Taubes' Why We Get Fat.  I couldn't put it down.  I think I read it in like three days.  I also really enjoyed Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution, he has a great writing style, very easy to read.  I think I read that one in just a few days as well.  Seeds of Deception (Jeffrey Smith) is also a real eye opener. 

Right now I'm reading The World According to Monsanto (Marie Monique-Robin), which is a good one if you feel like being furious.  Seeds of Deception made me pretty angry too. 
~Teresa

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »
Maria Emmerich's "The Art of Healthy Eating - Savory" is fantastic because it is very easy to understand without any science background. She writes in a way that anyone can understand and it seems that her methods are pretty much in agreement with WB and Paleo eating plans.  I've had my wife read WB and Cordain's Paleo Diet, as well as the "for athletes" version, and while she does pick up on the key points she finds a lot of it too scientific to really read and remember.  Not so with Maria's writing!  Even if you don't care about the recipes, the theory she mixes in is well worth the price of the book...

http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store/dp/B00A0BTZF0

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
I would recommend the book It all Starts with Food by Melissa & Dallas Hartwig - very good protocol for following a diet void of all potential irritant and inflammatory foods (wheat, non-gluten grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, etc...)  The authors also explain how to test for sensitivity to any of these foods and help in making decisions on what to eliminate (or not).

I highly recommend anything written by Gary Taubes, Pulitzer prize winning science writer.  His lengthy article in the New York Times magazine section in 2002 started much of the conversation (and controversy) about the merits of conventional diet recommendations.  That article, "What if it's all been a big fat lie?" is at http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

After the NYT article, Taubes spent several years researching into many diet and food related conditions, theories, therapies, etc.... especially the 'lipid hypothesis' which claims that dietary cholesterol is the cause of coronary heart disease, which Taubes thoroughly debunks.  The book he wrote in 2007, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" (GCBC) goes into great detail not only on the lipid hypothesis but other related subjects as well (how the high carb craze came about, why it became conventional wisdom, how we ended up with the doctrine of "everyone should eat low fat, high carb, etc..", the food pyramid, and so on).  The book is long and deeply technical, everything is supported by a huge number of technical references, is not an easy read at all ....... but well worth it.

Because GCBC stirred up so much controversy, but was not an easy book to expect most people to read, Taubes then wrote "Why we get fat, and what to do about it".  This is an excellent book, a very easy read, short (!), and covers some of the same topics as GCBC, but in a much simpler format and without the depth.  It's also well worth reading.  And Gary Taubes is a very good writer regardless of what topic he writes about.

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Although not about wheat specifically, I was intrigued by "Salt, Sugar, Fat How the food Giants Hooked Us" by Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Moss. As long as we stick to fresh we can avoid the products designed so deliberately to make massive profits - regardless of the dangers to our health. For people resistant to reading "Wheat Belly" it is an eye opener to what the food giants have been doing for over 20 years.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »

Sponsored Links